When Does A Good Debate Become A Flame War?

May 28, 2009
Gilbert Munch said:
So you think there is a real difference between these two arguments?:

"You may not like Halo 3 but I think it was actually quite a fun game, you may not like it but then again its not for everyone"

"STFU FAG! HALO 3 IS AWESOME JUST CUS U DNT LIEK IT DSNT MEAN ITS BAD STFU"

Both make exactly the same point when you think about it.
Personally I must say I quite prefer the former to the latter.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Gilbert Munch said:

"You may not like Halo 3 but I think it was actually quite a fun game, you may not like it but then again its not for everyone"

Just a note: it wasn't me who wrote that.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I think the simple test is as follows.

A) Determine the target of criticism/ agression/ attack:

If 1) it is an argument or a point of view, you are witnessing a lively debate.

If 2) it is a person or group of people, you are witnessing a flame war.

However part B should be noted. The above distinction is not concrete:

B) Determine the level of justification given for people's points of view.

If 1) it is thought out and reinforced/ reinforceable, you have a debate.

If 2) it is very simple and essentially the shouting of a base belief without justification or it has large amounts of unreasonable agression, get a bucket of water because you're looking at flames.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
when somebody outright says one is better than the other, Starts to give about a 9 on the sarcasm usage meter, or brings up something off topic eg: talking about which version of batman arham asylum is better and someone brings up the red ring of death.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
We didn't start the flame war
Peeps were hatin' on it 'fore I left my comment

OT: When people start yelling out insults.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Debate: Logical, fact-based comments or well-rounded opinions.

Flame war: Illogical ranting, childish insults, baseless garbage.

May 28, 2009
Gilbert Munch said:
KillerMidget said:
Gilbert Munch said:

Just a note: it wasn't me who wrote that.
Needless to say, I hope everyone reading will take heed of which example is the preffered one.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
When it gets personal. Personal comments/insulting comments should only be used for humor

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
Flame wars start with a lot of capital letters abuse and a complete lack of logic or knowledge and shout at each other "OMG UR MUM"
*shudders at using text speak*

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
When Fanboys meet other Fanboys that have a different opinion it can more often than not lead to one.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
DrunkWithPower said:
FLAME! FLAME! just kidding. I think it's when topics just becon a "Fuck you!" Like religon is an easy way to start a flame war.
I was about to say
"RIGHT TEH FUX N0W B1ZNATCH"
you beat me to it lol.

Some people just jump on and try to break everyone elses concentration on the topic at hand by saying something stupid, then a few people feel the need to retaliate.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
lol what a bunch of egotistical pricks in this thread, stop acting like none of you have ever started typing out alot of profane bullshit, I swear sometimes I think I'm the only semi-intellegent guy left on earth.

Antlers

Feb 23, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen a debate sans flame. It's just what happens. The only time there's no flame involved is real-life debates (but pretend ones, like in a debating society) where neither side really cares. But on the Internet it is SO important that someone on the other side of the country, who you will never meet, hears your point of view and agrees that you are right. (She says, as if she has never done this).

Diga1994 said:
Well if the newspapers are to be believed the BNP are "taking over", then again believing newspapers is like believing a person who's...umm...errr... a liar. :D

EDIT: Actually they don't lie, just over exaggerate most stuff.
Er... The BNP are very anti-euthenasia to the best of my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong (with a relevant article) and I'll humbly step aside. But I'm quite sure...

Antlers

Feb 23, 2008
Nmil-ek said:
lol what a bunch of egotistical pricks in this thread, stop acting like none of you have ever started typing out alot of profane bullshit, I swear sometimes I think I'm the only semi-intellegent guy left on earth.
Good thing your ego is well in check anyway.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
when some one brings up halo
i think it becomes a flame war when its just people yelling completely irrelivent things at each other just because they can

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
When it goes from argueing a point to personal insults, that's when a debate descends into a flame war.