When does Demon's Souls start getting hard?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Jak2364 said:
To be honest, it isn't that hard. All you have to do is pay attention and you'll be fine. In fact, most of the bosses aren't that hard, but there are a few that will give you some trouble. Old King Allant, Flamelurker, and Maneater are the hardest bosses.

Also, i'm not sure if you've played Dark Souls yet, but it IS HARD. It actually is as bad as everyone says it is...at least, so far it is.
It was Allant, Flamelurker, and world 5-2 for me. Maneater was for me one of the easiest bosses in the game. I suppose the challenge to others came from there being two of them. But the second one doesn't jump in until the first is near death. Just finish off the first one and fight the second one the same way you did the other Maneater.

Allant...he just gave me trouble because my playstyle (strength-based, wielding a meat cleaver). Slow weapons suck against Allant. And there's the fact that he's incredibly resistant to knockback.

Flamelurker is just plain hard, though. Most of the people who tell me they had an easy time with Flamelurker also tell me that they used some kind of cheap.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
T_ConX said:
6SteW6 said:
When does Demon's Souls start getting hard?
When you find your first 'The real Demon's Souls starts here' message

Besides that, most of the X-1 areas are pretty easy, and most guides actually recommend hitting the worlds in the order of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc.

Most of the bosses are really hard, specify the ones at the end of 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, and 4-1. I had to abuse some VERY underhanded tricks to get past each of them.

On the other hand, the bosses in 2-3, 3-3*, 4-3, and 5-3 (basically, the end-bosses for four of the five worlds) are JOKES.
Yeah the boss of 4-1 was tough but I managed to soften him with a few arrows to the noggin while dodging that horrible tongue attack and then swooped in for the kill.

I have seen the 'The real demon's souls starts here' message a few times. I do find those ground messages to be quite unpredictable for every 'If you jump down here...' that leads me to a Blessed mace there's a thousand of them leading to instant death. It only took one for me to be forever sceptical, I probably missed out on a ton of great loot because of it lol.

Doing it in the order of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc. Just seemed to be the best way for me. I figured each of the -1 would be the easiest and I would move on from there, guess I was right.

And what? Angry messages while eating a sannich? I wish I knew I could get those in a game BEFORE I got married. Boom boom chhh *Crickets*.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
krazykidd said:
Someone came to brag i see , lol, if you find it too easy give yourself a handicap , also did you look anything up before playing . Imo , the best experience is when you go in blind , like what i'm doing with dark souls , i'm lvl 94 and i habent finished it yet , i'm about 60 hours in and i'm having a blast.
It isn't bragging. The games aren't that hard. They require three things: patience, the ability to make observations and learn from them, and competence of the games' controls. It sounds like the OP has all three. I was scared away early on because of the hype around their difficulty too. That hype was greatly exaggerated. They are difficult but those three things I listed make the games very beatable.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
OP must be a much better player than I am, it took me 4 hours to clear areas 1-1 and 1-2. Fuckin' tower knight... >_>

But yeah, Demon's Souls difficulty was definitely exaggerated. If you take your time to understand the mechanics and the patterns of your enemies. The game turns into a highly enjoyable breeze, except for the maneater boss.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
My brother is in the same boat as you - got Demon's Souls about a week ago in preparation for Dark Souls. Because he heard the horror stories, he played very carefully and cautiously, and as a result, hasn't died all that much, except during the Firelurker boss fight. Some people just "get" the way you are supposed to play it and have a high tolerance for set-backs. The number one cause of death in Demon's Souls is trying to rush through sections because you are tired of replaying them. My brother doesn't do that - he belongs to the old school gamer type, who will simply play until the game has been beaten, and he always plays cautiously, so the game has not been a nightmare for him. In fact, he's enjoying the hell out of it and has experienced very little frustration with it.

I, on the other hand, being the younger brother, do NOT have the patience to handle a game like Demon's Souls. I've died so many times, because I always get impatient, reckless, frustrated, angry, or tired when I'm going through a section that I've gone through a dozen times before. Demon's Souls is an incredibly tough game for me, and I don't think I'll ever beat it. My brother on the other hand.... well, he's never met a challenge he hasn't beaten. He's just that type of gamer - the type who learns the meta-game, the A.I exploits and the "strategy" of getting though a game like Demon's Souls. It's almost a puzzle-fighter, in a way. Every monster, every boss, every area requires a certain strategy, and those who can pick up on that quickly face little difficulty. Those who can't, like me, find it agonizingly difficult.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
I'll second that 5-2 will destroy you, 3-2, 1-3 and 1-4 are quite a pain too. I'll let you know that you haven't got to the boss I consider hardest in 3-2 as well. New game + is where it gets as hard as everyone makes out though, guys who used to be easy like the Armoured Spider and such become rather annoying.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
The game isn't that hard... I've never understood what people were on about with the whole "OMG this game is soo hard it's only for masochists" stuff...

Some things I noticed though:

Bows make everything easier after getting far enough to be able to buy crap tons of arrows and just walking through shooting everything down before they see or can get to you.

Melee is pretty frustrating since you will always be in the danger zone to deal damage and have to decide whether to go full defence and just block and manage stamina or to go light armour and roll away from everything. Usually going melee will cause the most deaths especially if it's your first run and you're not being careful/don't know the little surprises.

Also on a side note the worlds that I remember that were more challenging/annoying were 1-4,3-1(My first time with the Mind Flayers I later found out that magic is strong against them (And found a free Cresent Falchion in another world)) 5-3 and 5-4 (Fricken poison and plague swamps respectively)

With all of the bosses being rather easy (Except the one at 3-2 which did cause some issues, usually rolling of the edge...) since they are mostly stationary (Arrow fodder) or move and attack in very predictable patterns.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
6SteW6 said:
Most times I have died were from newbie mistakes like walking off a cliff edge or challenging the 'Red eye knight' my first time in 1-1.
He's actually really easy to kill if you know what to do. Not that it isn't a total cheeseball move. >.>

Anyway, I stopped playing Demon's Souls when I realized the majority of my deaths were because of controls more than any actual difficulty. For some reason the controls just feel clunky and awkward to me. Almost like my character is two hits past too high.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
krazykidd said:
Someone came to brag i see , lol, if you find it too easy give yourself a handicap , also did you look anything up before playing . Imo , the best experience is when you go in blind , like what i'm doing with dark souls , i'm lvl 94 and i habent finished it yet , i'm about 60 hours in and i'm having a blast.
It isn't bragging. The games aren't that hard. They require three things: patience, the ability to make observations and learn from them, and competence of the games' controls. It sounds like the OP has all three. I was scared away early on because of the hype around their difficulty too. That hype was greatly exaggerated. They are difficult but those three things I listed make the games very beatable.
I don't think it was that exaggerated , the game WAS hard as bricks , when the game first came out . Not tbat the game is any easier but when it came out for the first time well, there was no information about it and no one knew what to expect .it was by no means impossible but the first people that played the game on release got their ass handed to them because they were going in completly blind , no one knew what kind of game it was nor how hard it was nor whatthey needed to to win.

Thats why some people are saying dark souls isn't that hard. We ALL know now that we need patience and observation to progress , thus making the game easier because a lot of people know what they are getting into. As opposed to doing something completly new.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
None of the first stages are that hard really if you have a grasp of the mechanics, I assure you the later bosses and enemies will give you more of a challenge.