When Monday = Purple = 72

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
justnotcricket said:
berethond said:
But, I have intense musical synaesthesia. And I mean INTENSE. Like every time I hear 'Duel of the Fates' I see a styrofoam cup. And that's the tame one I actually tell people.
Whoa! That is intense...what else? And I realise piano doesn't have to be solo, but when I'm playing it is - and it's a solo I'd die of embarassment for if anyone actually *heard* me playing! =D
I play in a jazz band.

F minor seventh chords make me see my best friend, and every time I hear any minor eleventh chord I hear someone saying 'This is how I feel about you.' (don't ask)

Mr. Big's song To Be With You makes me see my friend Andy and his guitar, playing it and rocking out.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
justnotcricket said:
Ionami said:
Well what I'm theorizing, is that it stems specifically from music. In otherwords, someone who isn't talented musically, won't do the color association. (And folks don't start telling me stuff like: "My friend does this, but he doesn't play a single instrument!")

It doesn't necessarily have to be playing an instrument, it could even be a subconscious understanding of rhythm and melody, etc. Or maybe the ability to quickly learn an instrument if they were to try.
That's an interesting theory - I know that my synaesthesia definitely helped me when I was learning the cello, and it still helps me when I'm playing in orchestra, although I definitely wouldn't call myself intrinsically talented! *sigh* =P I assume you mean the specific kind of synaesthesia between *music* and something else like shape/colour/taste?

I guess I've always just put it down to some interesting wire-crossings in the fizzing electrical network that is the human brain, but your theory is an intriguing one! =) Care to elaborate?
I guess what I mean, is that people with synaesthesia possess some form of musical talent. Whether they realize it or not. Meaning, because someone has synaesthesia it helps them to learn music faster and instruments faster, subconsciously.

Or it may be the other way around, meaning someone who is already gifted with musical talent (Whether they know it or not) begins to associate colours and shapes with other unrelated things. It's like a second nature reaction.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I associate laughing with BLOOD!!! THE LOVELY RED BLOOD!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! IT TASTES SO GOOD!!!!!!! *coughs* Oh... Umm... Disregard anything i said...

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Ionami said:
I guess what I mean, is that people with synaesthesia possess some form of musical talent. Whether they realize it or not. Meaning, because someone has synaesthesia it helps them to learn music faster and instruments faster, subconsciously.

Or it may be the other way around, meaning someone who is already gifted with musical talent (Whether they know it or not) begins to associate colours and shapes with other unrelated things. It's like a second nature reaction.
I think you may be onto something there - I certainly know that my synaesthesia has come in handy in learning and remembering things, not just in music but in classes etc.
I should confess, however, that I've also found that it has its flipside - more than once I've had a powerful association between two things that has actually gotten in the way, because it isn't so in real life! =P

Soul137

Mar 4, 2009
Well I've had similar experiences while high. for instance someone will be like "that's stupid" and my mouth will taste all bitter. or soething along those lines.
Never along the serious lines of beethoven tasting creamy. Although personally I think something like Corrine Bailey Rae but beethoven as to complicated to associate with one taste.

Soul137

Mar 4, 2009
jboking said:
Me and my friends play "The Game", so they decided it would be funny to make certain words and situations associated with "The Game." It started off simple enough, I associated a particular person with "The Game." Then my friends kept pushing it and dozens of things became associated. Eventually, grenades were associated with it. So while playing an FPS online with friends one of them will yell grenade when one lands near us and simultaneously everyone groans and shouts "I lost the game."

Long story short, synaesthesia is a pain in my ass.
i have the same exact problem with people associated with the game.

BTW i lost the game

Aug 16, 2008
I have read about it, I almost wish I had it, just to see what it would be like. I heard about this one man who had "a taste of earwax everytime he heard the name, Derrick"

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Soul137 said:
jboking said:
Me and my friends play "The Game", so they decided it would be funny to make certain words and situations associated with "The Game." It started off simple enough, I associated a particular person with "The Game." Then my friends kept pushing it and dozens of things became associated. Eventually, grenades were associated with it. So while playing an FPS online with friends one of them will yell grenade when one lands near us and simultaneously everyone groans and shouts "I lost the game."

Long story short, synaesthesia is a pain in my ass.
i have the same exact problem with people associated with the game.

BTW i lost the game
Son of a *****! Now when I see the name Soul137 I will remember this instant and lose once more.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Probably not the same thing, but I had genuine fear when my teacher wrote with a red marker today. I don't know what it was, I was kinda spacing out and when I saw the read I felt a true feeling of terror I haven't felt for a very long time.

Sh4dowSpec

Jan 16, 2009
When Monday=Purple=72, you need to kill yourself, because the world is going to end horiffically in about three seconds.

On topic, though, I have all of my school subjects color-coded in my head. German is red, science is blue, math is green, history is orange, English is yellow, and computers is... well... blue, but it's a different kind of blue.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
I usually assign musical things to everything.
Monday is a gloomy day, so it's a B7 chord. Saturday is a C Major key, though.
I like describing what I feel through music. I'll, for instance, play G-B7-E in the guitar, and that to me describes loneliness, even if the lyrics I put to it have nothing to do... it's hard to explain. Angry people speak in stacatto, while nicer people are legato.
The Escapist I usually associate with playing all the black keys in a piano, from lowest to highest.

justnotcricket

Apr 24, 2008
Sh4dowSpec said:
When Monday=Purple=72, you need to kill yourself, because the world is going to end horiffically in about three seconds.

On topic, though, I have all of my school subjects color-coded in my head. German is red, science is blue, math is green, history is orange, English is yellow, and computers is... well... blue, but it's a different kind of blue.
I used to do exactly this =) German is forest green, science is apple green, history is purple, maths is blue, and English is *snap!* yellow! =)
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to my thread!

justnotcricket

Apr 24, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Some things just seem to go together. And Monday is definetly red. Maybe yellow, sort of. But teusday is yellow. Wednesday is green.
Wow! Same as me, so far =) Is Thursday gold and Friday orange by any chance?

*sigh* here I go spamming my own thread again. I have *got* to remember to put my replies together in one post...

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
justnotcricket said:
ElephantGuts said:
Some things just seem to go together. And Monday is definetly red. Maybe yellow, sort of. But teusday is yellow. Wednesday is green.
Wow! Same as me, so far =) Is Thursday gold and Friday orange by any chance?

*sigh* here I go spamming my own thread again. I have *got* to remember to put my replies together in one post...
Pretty close. To me Thursday is gold or maybe a more brownish, burnt gold color, maybe even a little orange. And Friday is either orange, brownish-orange, or reddish-brown. Not as clear as Teusday or Wednesday.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
I do not have synaesthesia but I know that I definitely associate colors with days of the week. I never knew it was a full-blown condition that some people have. Intriguing idea...I wonder what my name tastes like.

Pohlkat

Apr 11, 2008
I remember back in junior high, our band teacher played us some music, and called that "red" music. Then he proceeded to play us all sorts of "colours" of music. Then he told us to play certain colours. Absolutely brilliant way of teaching. Playing something as red and then green is such a neat experience.

justnotcricket

Apr 24, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Pretty close. To me Thursday is gold or maybe a more brownish, burnt gold color, maybe even a little orange. And Friday is either orange, brownish-orange, or reddish-brown. Not as clear as Teusday or Wednesday.
Now that is spooky - ah well, great minds think alike, eh? =P

Spleenbag said:
I do not have synaesthesia but I know that I definitely associate colors with days of the week. I never knew it was a full-blown condition that some people have. Intriguing idea...I wonder what my name tastes like.
I have also wondered this - it occurred to me once (since the guy has had documentary coverage) to wonder if he's ever made a list of his name-flavour associations, but then I figured that, Murphy's Law being what it is, my name will taste like earwax or something - in which case, I'd rather not know... =D