When there are a lot of characters, do you get confused?

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Reading the Wheel of Time series. Shitloads of characters. Like.. 40. Sighcakes! People have got to start dying soon, right?

Okay, I don't actually want that.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I have a hard time just remember the main character's name and other's names if there are only a few. Not because its a bad movie but the character could be a carbon copy of this type of guy even if there are different backstories.

gamptrak

Mar 20, 2010
Aurora219 said:
Reading the Wheel of Time series. Shitloads of characters. Like.. 40. Sighcakes! People have got to start dying soon, right?

Okay, I don't actually want that.
The Wheel of time is a series that did confuse me with characters. I was introduced to a character and they would disappear for a book or two, and then be reintroduced, and i would be wondering who they are. You also had to keep track of all of them because they were all important to the story in some sort of way, so i also had trouble with characters at times in that story.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Depending on the story, it can vary how big the character limit should be.
I mean i get lost in robert jordan's the wheel of time series, but those characters come and go and sometimes disappear only to emerge 2 books later or die then decide death was boring and come back.
Great series though.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I didn't really have any trouble with A Song of Ice and Fire (which has a lot of characters - there are a bunch of appendices in the back of each book with a bunch of family trees of different noble houses), so I'd say no.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
It depends on how ridiculous there names are.

If there names are like Ranatoma, oransona, dookiedooba etc etc i get confused.

When there names are things that you normally would hear. Then i have an easy time following it.

Beardon65

Jul 16, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Dan Abnett can make me care about 12+ people at
a time (Gaunt's Ghost). THAT'S how it should be done.
He's such a good author :O

But yeah you're right. I can remember every trooper. Domor has to be my favorite character.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Not unless they all have similar names. God damn me not being used to anime...Took me a few episodes of Azumanga Daioh to tell them apart.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
The rule of thumb I usually stick to when WRITING characters is three main characters, max. Stories with an ass-ton of characters generally tend towards being confusing, even if you do your best to keep things clear.

Of course, all that can be taken with a grain of salt. Look at Lord of the Rings.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
I can generally keep track of multiple characters at once, but only if they are introduced in small groups.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
It really depends on the source material. It is a visual medium or a text medium? How many characters have similar sounding names? How distinct are their personalities? How often do certain characters show up?

Some examples:
- I find Beowulf (as in the poem) confusing because half the cast members have names starting with "U".
- A lot of Bleach characters look or behave similar; it's hard to remember people when they blend together so.
- I instantly remember a TON of Star Wars characters because the great majority of them are so unique from each other.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
More than 4 to 5 is not a lot. I can get confused, but mostly it's because books lack the visual clues of who's who, so I can lose track of which surname refers to which character early in the book. Usually most of them die by the end anyway, so it becomes easier at that point.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Chancie said:
I'm sure we've all read that one book (I'm asking about books only, not games/animes/etc.) where there were a TON of characters in it.

When you read books with say, more than 4 to 5 characters, do you get confused easily or can you keep them all straight?
The reason I ask is because I'm writing a story now and I have many characters that I've written about for a long time, but I'm trying to find the right balance how many to use.

So, what would you say is your "max limit" of characters?
No, people get confuse when it written poorly. Make sure that you write who does what and who talk and it ok. If in doubt, look our your favorite writer does it.

Edit: Also, ask advice to those who love to read. Some of those answers can only come from Throlls.