When there's a tragedy there's also "those people"

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I just think both sides should spend a little less time trying to second guess the motives of everyone who posts something that they disagree with.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Quite frankly everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, wether it is "wrong" or not. And quite frankly i think their intent was more of a "tough love" way of trying to get some people to wake up to what is really horrible about life and what is arbitary. Because quite frankly shcools are being shot or blown up all over the world (in fact while you were busy reading this some school was probably wiped off the map right now), and if we took time to mourn every school we'd be up to our ankles in angst and have no time for "important" activities becuase we were so busy mourning. So instead I think they were only trying to inform people somewhat hard-handedly to prioritize on what's really "important" and not just a minor setback.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It's no fun being cynical and detached if nobody notices how cynical and detached you are.

So if they don't notice you have to get out there and damn well tell 'em!

"See that nasty business? I don't care at all! Not one bit! Because I'm cynical and worldly and hardened!"

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
So you don't care that people feel that way as long as they don't say it aloud? That's a bit arbitrary. I'm glad that people like that exist if only because they annoy you.
His point is that not caring about everybody is one thing; making a point about not caring is just being mean for the sake of being mean.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Queen Michael said:
His point is that not caring about everybody is one thing; making a point about not caring is just being mean for the sake of being mean.
Everyone's allowed to participate with their opinion. That's the point of the forum. It's a bit silly to be comfortable knowing that people feel a certain way - Vault herself admitted she doesn't really care - but to get angry at people for actually stating they don't care just because that's breaking a social taboo.

I never got the impression that people were saying "Look how edgy I am, I don't care about kids dying". Most of them are more like "Get some perspective, thousands of children have died in the middle east and no one gave a shit". And they're right.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Thank you for making this thread. I've thought about making one like this for a while but always thought there'd be a lot of back lash. I 100% agree with you. It's not that they don't care, it's that they are parading that around like it somehow makes them better. It's just disrespectful.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
I'm not the type to post things like that, but I think the sensationalism that happens, the people posting everywhere how horrible things are, ect ect... Well, every time something like this happens, forensic psychologists come out and say this sort of widespread coverage leads to more murders. I think preventing that is a whole hell of a lot more important then making sure everyone knows a bad thing happened and how many people think it's bad. Of all the horrible things happening in the world this is one of the few that gets worse with more coverage, and so even if they're a dick who isn't trying to point out any of the real problems with it, the occasional person showing up to tell people that they're not doing anything to help isn't something that could ever really piss me off. Because the people they're bitching about are making things worse and it would be better if people paid less attention.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah I know what you mean Vault and I agree with you. Then again, I also feel the same way about the people who keep posting about how much they DO care. The day everyone shuts up I'll be happy ^_^

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
I'd be the first to say--you're sensationalizing something, and may I add, what you are doing is a detriment to society. By nationally announcing, denouncing, decrying, whatever, this event, you glorify everyone involved, and inspire others to do the same, yes, but I believe that applies to everyone involved, even the gun-man.
Think about that, please. Does this person not get time on TV, his name in lights, instant fame? Do you believe others, inspired by a lust for fame, would try to stake a similar claim: "Notice me! I am troubled!" I think it's a problem! Blotting this out--him AND his atrocity--will discourage people from thinking that they can be famous with a few quick kills.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
To me "those" people are the ones that ask "how could he have prevented this from happening/prevent this happening in the future?" Some people are not willing to accept that some people, despite everyone's best efforts, will fall through the cracks at some point when they should have been loved more/committed/never given a weapon/etc. The thing that no one understands is that stuff like this happens, and will continue to happen, because it's imbedded in our primal nature. By far, the majority of us either silence that part, or that part of them is too small to change them for the worse, but there is no measure to stop 100% of us from doing it ever again without treading on the personal liberties we all enjoy. I for one am willing to die for that liberty if I'm one of the casualties in the next tragedy, and it's a shame that no one else is. Instead, people want more restrictions placed on all of us so that .00001% of people just might find it too hard to kill.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Not caring about your fellow man is apparently considered "cool", "edgy" and "hip". In reality though, it makes you look like a poorly developed individual, with no real personality to speak of. Often it is utilized as a way to disguise their ignorance regarding the subject matter.

Best thing to do is simply ignore them, as "those people" typically crave attention and being "edgy" is the only way they can achieve this.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
fapper plain said:
Personally, I don't care because 1) I'm a terrible person and honestly find it hilarious, 2)
thats....pretty fucking awful...

[quote/]because in the grand scheme of things, 28 dead is nothing, and 3) you only see this kind of press coverage when it's a bunch of white people in a well-to-do area (most of the time). [/quote]
that is somwhat true however I think senless shootings get more attention because of their WTF nature

[quote/]If someone actually cares about people dying, good for them. Seriously. Empathy is a good quality to have. But to pick and choose what you're going to be vocally empathic about, and to choose something that's relatively insignificant, well...that's hardly admirable.[/quote]
we are incapable if feeling for everything...its always a case of picking and choosing even unintentioanlly
bibblles said:
More to the point, why should I pretend to care when I don't? I'd be lying, and really just making things worse by being an insincere twat.
I never said you should pretend to care , my point is people who go out of their way to state they don't care are being dicks.

[quote/]Even more to the point, I'ma sadistic twat who hates my fellow man. Even though they were children, they were probably really annoying screaming brats.[/quote]
I....uhh......

hmm...moving on

[quote/]In all seriousness, it sucks but this is starting to become the norm. As soon as the attention dies down (about two months from now) someone will go commit another atrocity. Meanwhile, Syria is going through civil war with tens of thousands of civilians dead in the crossfire (or massacred ought-right). There's at least one civil war going on in Africa, genocide in Africa, trials going on over past genocide from Ukraine or Yugoslavia or wherever... and we're fine with all that, but as soon as its children, or those muslims in Norway, or a fucking school (which used to have security guards, so good job there), then "Oh the humanity.[/quote]
so you care about syria then? "bad shit happens all the time" is just an excuse to be a dick in the case of one particualr tragedy

Friendly Lich

Feb 15, 2012
Iron Criterion said:
Not caring about your fellow man is apparently considered "cool", "edgy" and "hip". In reality though, it makes you look like a poorly developed individual, with no real personality to speak of. Often it is utilized as a way to disguise their ignorance regarding the subject matter.

Best thing to do is simply ignore them, as "those people" typically crave attention and being "edgy" is the only way they can achieve this.
^Best solution I can think of.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
I never got the impression that people were saying "Look how edgy I am, I don't care about kids dying". Most of them are more like "Get some perspective, thousands of children have died in the middle east and no one gave a shit". And they're right.
yeah....because we all didn;t know that already? I call BS on this one, why is it when one bad thing happns people have to point out the million other bad things that happen? what difference does it make? I find it hard to belive anyone flanting their "I dont give a fuck" attitude is wanting to give people perspective

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Signa said:
To me "those" people are the ones that ask "how could he have prevented this from happening/prevent this happening in the future?" Some people are not willing to accept that some people, despite everyone's best efforts, will fall through the cracks at some point when they should have been loved .
not by the looks of it...they come in,state their "I don't care" and then leave without contributing anything more

LITE992

Jun 18, 2011
Johann610 said:
I'd be the first to say--you're sensationalizing something, and may I add, what you are doing is a detriment to society. By nationally announcing, denouncing, decrying, whatever, this event, you glorify everyone involved, and inspire others to do the same, yes, but I believe that applies to everyone involved, even the gun-man.
Think about that, please. Does this person not get time on TV, his name in lights, instant fame? Do you believe others, inspired by a lust for fame, would try to stake a similar claim: "Notice me! I am troubled!" I think it's a problem! Blotting this out--him AND his atrocity--will discourage people from thinking that they can be famous with a few quick kills.
This.

I'd also like to add that I am apparently one of "those people," and I don't care. It's a fact that people aren't going to care about this event after a week or two. People stopped caring about Amanda Todd after about two weeks, so I expect the same here. And to be honest, most people can't remember the last tragic teen suicide before Amanda Todd.

I find this is better than being the people who pretend to care about the tragedy in order to get lots of likes for their Facebook status or retweets.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
People die everyday; but 20 Kids don't die due to a mentally unstable man every day now do they? That's why I care about this. It's an unusual case and represents everything bad about Humanity (That we can go and murder our own CHILDREN.). Regardless, it doesn't really matter what any of us think. The issue is and has been the lives lost. Someone could say "Fuck those kids, why is this even news?" and that's their opinion. You don't have to care, and honestly you don't have to share your opinion. If you share it, we can consider it. Doesn't make you worse; doesn't make you better. Sharing an Opinion is neutral ground.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I don't think you're overreacting here. Your view here is pretty accurate. People don't need to care about everyone. Some people generally don't care about everyone. That's perfectly fine, but there's pretty much no reason for you to state this fact, unless you are being asked about the way you feel about something like what happened in Connecticut. Doing so without provocation isn't particularly useful and will only incite anger or distress in people who do not feel the same way. Which can, at times, be somewhat entertaining in a different context. In this case it's just kind of dickish.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
[quote/]In all seriousness, it sucks but this is starting to become the norm. As soon as the attention dies down (about two months from now) someone will go commit another atrocity. Meanwhile, Syria is going through civil war with tens of thousands of civilians dead in the crossfire (or massacred ought-right). There's at least one civil war going on in Africa, genocide in Africa, trials going on over past genocide from Ukraine or Yugoslavia or wherever... and we're fine with all that, but as soon as its children, or those muslims in Norway, or a fucking school (which used to have security guards, so good job there), then "Oh the humanity.
so you care about syria then? "bad shit happens all the time" is just an excuse to be a dick in the case of one particualr tragedy[/quote]

Yes I care about Syria, it has far reaching implications for democracy and the stability of the middle east. The people will be memorialized by their respective governments when the conflict is over. But the outcome is something the world needs to consider.