When was your last good rush?

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
By which I mean adrenaline rush in a game. You know, when you're playing it, and somehow it just gets intense, you really focus, you're practically cheering in your head, and when it finally ends you're shaking you're so excited or relieved.

For me it was actually earlier today, when playing Hand of Fate. I beat most of the levels easily, and while level 12 was tricky and took several tries, the final fight of the final level just had me shaking when I saw how good I was doing. Halfway through with more than half my health left, I realized I actually had a chance, and found myself almost shaking a few times, and even talking to my opponent. When I finally beat him, I even gave him a pre-mortem one liner before finishing him off. I was so happy and relieved...

But I find it hard remembering the last time I had something as good. What about you guys? When was the last time you had a situation like that?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I know a lot of people hate them here but...

If people are ever wondering why I play sport games, it's BECAUSE you get that rush (relatively) often. Holding onto a 1-0 lead in the third period, taking the lead with a game winning touchdown in the closing seconds, doing the perfect slide tackle in the box to hold onto victory; some of the best feelings in gaming can come from besting your fellow man in a game of electronic sports.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Today, during my umpteenth run through New Vegas, a stumbled upon an area I'd never been before, an unmarked area I have since learned is called "Deathclaw Promontory".

Five launches from Esther and around twenty rounds from Medicine Stick later, I'm still pretty jittery.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, playing as Doflamingo. First time I played at level 50, with all moves unlocked. I just massacred everything in sight, nothing could stand against me. Hit like four thousand K'Os. It was amazing. This happened like three months or so ago.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Splatoon, easily. Ranked battles can get super intense, and I get a real rush if I get on a killing spree. Lots of splattered squid kids.

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
Dota 2, every comeback ever. Everyone who has played a few games of Dota will know it's a game of momentum. Five players fight five more players for momentum. If you lose that momentum that tempo it can be hard to come back for your team. So when the enemy team is miles ahead and you have no chance of winning...And they slip up...It's a very good rush as you charge forward to victory while your opponents are respawning or something. This is even more appropriate when in a pre-built team. The hype and cheers that go down everyone's microphone when they know they can do it. The sheer joy of coming back from a lead like that is true for any team sport. The opponent has a score that seems insurmountable? They get sloppy. A good team will be able to keep that hold, but a slip up can mean the underdogs can break free and pull back all the way into the lead in the last few minutes from certain defeat. It's a really good feeling and rush.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I suppose Lords of the Dark Souls Fallen's second boss was pretty hype for me today, granted probably because I had lost about 5 times to him and it was down to who could land that last hit first. I love how the first weapon you get is a massive fuck off hammer, I hope they introduce an upgrade system so I can keep it relevant all game. Probably not though.

If only it didn't run like arse with like 15/20 FPS at the lowest of low settings. Fuckin' capped at 120 FPS default, get outta here we only need to go for 60 and even then it barely improves. It's a known problem though so i'll dig through some more fixes later. Seeing how i'm having fun even through i'm using an already slow swinging hammer + crap FPS = slow motion combat 100% of the time means the game is good I suppose.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Been trying Outlast recently, that game is stressful when all alone. I can still hear the heavy whimpered breathing in my brain-ear.
The Last of Us multiplayer has had given some really great tense moments too. I dont usually multi...play, but the stealth teamwork feels perfect, like a grassroots ghost recon and still works fairly well without having to speak to these entities. I probably shouldn't mention the non-gaming side of experiences however. The codes have ears!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
Sports games...

Fair 'nuff. I like the concept of Blood Bowl myself.

OT: Probably when I first booted up Skyrim and ran down the hill to Riverwood. That was a phat krunk time, super wizard. I picked a lot of flowers that day.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Shadow Warrior remake is fantastically intense and frantic at times, I think that's my last one. Or maybe Killer Is Dead, though the rush was mixed together with a sheer sense of "the fuck?"-ness.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I know, there's not a lot of Racing Sim fans on the Escapist, but this was my gaming related adrenaline rush.

Project CARS.

Lotus 98T is one hell of a racer.

Partway through the rev-range it's relatively benign (feels like about 450-500hp). Then the turbos spool up, and if you aren't driving fast enough to generate any meaningful downforce, and the tires aren't up to temperature (yes, heating tires is also a thing) when they begin to spool, you'll end up with a car weighing roughly 550kg, with little mechanical grip, and no aerodynamic grip, and 1300hp at the rear-wheels (with no traction-control). Good luck trying to keep that pointing in the right direction

Apr 25, 2009
The biggest adrenaline rush I've ever had in a game was killing the Four Kings on NG+ at Soul Level 1 (in Dark Souls).

I spent days and days learning them. I probably died in excess of 150 times. Everything about them just combines to create an absolute nightmare for a character with sub-par damage who dies in one hit. It's so easy to become overwhelmed, and if they don't give you enough time to kill them before the next appears you may as well give up and try again.

I got them down to <5% HP multiple times and failed because I was so nervous. Landing that last hit was super triumphant.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I play a lot of fighting games, so it happens all the time! It's a constant stream of adrenaline. 1 on 1 combat to the death! The problem isn't the adrenaline it's keeping your cool with said adrenaline and pressure.

I was playing usf4 on ps4 against this 1 guy. My adon vs his akuma. Last round. 10 seconds in i made 3 wrong guessed and past 80% of my life and i was in the corner.He was still full hp. Things looked bleak. 1 combo or 2 good hits and i was done for. I was playing patient. Taking chip damage from blocking. I get hit . 10% life left. He whiffs a dp. Full punish. I started mounting my comeback. Jumping over fireballs. Punishing his pokes. He neutral jumps i ultra him. Hes down to 30% life. He's panicking. I manage to get him into the corner. I wait. I see an opening and sweep him . 20% left. It's now or never. I walk up on him. Then immediately back away. He took the bait. He tried to EX dp me to chip me out. No dice . It completely whiffed. A short combo to punish him ends the match. I won.

I had to go smoke after that one because i couldn't believe it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
A fight with an overpowered leshen in The Witcher 3 a few weeks ago. Those scary motherfuckers. I wanted to try to take a contract that's way above my level without realizing what leshens are like. I died several times but I was not discouraged. Final battle lasted good 15 minutes. The Witcher 3 is full of such moments.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
My last good Rush? Hmm... that was probably Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA, as a kid I found collecting keys to unlock cars to be an interesting feature in a racing game. Although, come to think of it, I don't believe that there was another Rush after that, good or bad. Not unless you count the Rush movie, which I haven't seen.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Emanuele Ciriachi said:
Playing Long War (an XCom mod) in self-imposed Ironman. EVERY SINGLE MISSION.
You, Sir, are the true savior.

Any action game will do this for me from time to time, mostly DMC games.