When will the Comic Book Movie fatigue hit the majority of fans? Or has it already begun/happened?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I've been to the cinema a lot this year as I am a fan of the movie theater experience. The year we have seen many movies that has highly loved and universally hated. Same every year really. One thing I want to draw attend too is the infamous Comic Book Movie genre and it's impact on it's top viewers.

So for 2017 we have;

Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-man: Homecoming

We also have Graphic Novels coming out as well as animation. So so much.

Now let's talk about the first four. The only one I personally enjoyed the most was Logan. It was kept small, personal, intimate and a journey that showed the back end of a beloved character.

Then after seeing the other three, I just felt, meh for them. They were good but just felt nothing for them. I've admitted in the past that I've been feeling MCU fatigue and it's quickly going to other movies within the genre. So far this year my top 2 movies aren't CBM and by the end of August, I may have none in the top 5.

But that's just me. How about you? How do you feel about the current state of Comic Book Movies and are you feeling a sort of fatigue towards them or is your excitement growing? Do you think the fatigue will set in for the majority of fans in the coming years? If so, what can studios do to change things up?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'm probably going to surprise people by saying I've been hit hard. Some time between the release of GotG2 and last week I suddenly lost all interest and hype in these movies for reasons I'm still confused about.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
inu-kun said:
I think it's more of a case where the Marvel ones just feels similar. It's like a formula that Marvel perfected which starting to get old. Captain America and Thor took chances and had their own personality while the later ones feel samey.
If Marvel is smart, they'll find a good stopping point, like the Infinity Gauntlet movie. Wrap things up and call it a day while they're still ahead, assuming the slump doesn't hit before then. If they can do that, they'll be remembered as geniuses. Sure, they'll be leaving some money on the table, but that's better than being left holding the bag halfway through an arc. They can always pick things up again in a few years when nostalgia sets in

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I'm feeling the fatigued, while I really enjoy Logan I skipped watching Spiderman Homecoming because I'm getting sick of everything Spiderman related(and this is coming from a guy whose 3rd favorite superhero is Spiderman) and I thought Wonder Woman is okay. Its important to note that comic books cover a multiple of genres with the new Atomic Blond movie not having anything to do with superheroes.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Zontar said:
I'm probably going to surprise people by saying I've been hit hard. Some time between the release of GotG2 and last week I suddenly lost all interest and hype in these movies for reasons I'm still confused about.
I'm shocked to hear that. What happened? You are a huge fan of the MCU. I even saw Ant-Man recently and I felt more bored of the MCU.

Thor and Black Panther better change things up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've had this fatigue from the outset almost. None of the Marvel movies apart from Guardians of the Galaxy 1 did much for me. The Avengers 1 and Captain America 2 were pretty good too, but got burried under the next batch of movies.

I liked the older superhero movies, that had some bite, killed people off, and didn't spend nearly half the running time setting up the sequels.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Parasondox said:
I'm shocked to hear that. What happened? You are a huge fan of the MCU.
That's just it, I don't know, it's like a switch got turned off, the hype just died.

Maybe it's my brain trying to force me to watch some of the literally dozens of anime I have lined up on my shelf in a makeshift queue to finally watch.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, I'm getting tired of the MCU. It's gotten too formulaic. I found Civil War a bit hard to sit through despite finally delivering on the good ol' mass superhero brawl. I liked Dr. Strange better because it injected some new things into the setting, but aside from that it follows the same basic MCU formula. If it wasn't for the lighthearted comedy of GoTG, it would probably have bored me. Haven't seen Homecoming yet.

Remaines to be seen how Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther turn out, but I've got a feeling they're going to be very by the numbers (BP probably more so).

As for the competition, I enjoyed both Wonder Woman and Logan, the former because Gal Gadot's wide-eyed optimism was pretty refreshing compared to the dour seriousness of the rest of the DCEU. While Logan stood out because it was a small self-contained road trip story. No big world-ending event, no doomsday device or uberpowered maniacal big bad. No fucking GIANT SKY BEAM!

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Avengers 2 was the last super hero movie I went to see because I had interest in it. I don't think I can un-burn myself on superhero movies. The fact that they're turning so far away from individual characters and going for these big mix ups where everyone is a secondary character (And no one is a major character) really doesn't interest me on any level. I saw this happening as far back as avengers- but Civil War really proved to me that they really don't know how to make a stand-alone with their already introduced characters.

This burn has sort of carried itself to the others, I guess. I heard Wonder Woman was good, but DCs track record before that has been laughable for the past few years.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Parasondox said:
So for 2017 we have;

A gritty down-to-earth R-rated drama, that is a swan-song for a beloved rendition of a character
An upbeat Space Opera sequel featuring a talking raccoon
A WW1 Alt History featuring a strong female protagonist
Another Spider-man film
Fixed it for you.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I've been feeling the fatigue since somewhere around the MCU phase 2, but after the new Spider-Man exceeded my expectations, suddenly I'm back on board. It's always been my plan to keep watching these movies at least until all the infinity gauntlet stuff gets resolved, and for the first time in ages, I'm actually feeling excited about them.

I do still think they should make that the grand finale though. Have a huge, satisfying conclusion to everything and go out with a bang. I see they've also got another Spider-Man movie planned for afterwards. I'd make that a sort of epilogue for the MCU. Have a small, down to earth story to round everything out, then lock the doors and walk away.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Comic book movies are fine. It's superhero stories I'm sick to death of.

Remember, Road to Perdition, Snowpiercer and Men in Black were all originally comics. And they translated to movies quite well.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It started for me after the Avengers. The individual movies precluding might not have all been great, but they all contributed what they needed to so that Marvel could pull Avengers off. Now I just find myself wondering what will happen next, but not in a positive way. How many times can you pull a series of individual hero flicks to a grand finale until you start to get the: "Will this series ever end?" feeling. It just seems like there's no definitive end in sight. Though in truth, that's the problem I've always had with comic books in general. The constant need to create and distribute a never-ending stream of content. There never feels like there's anything at stake.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
So for 2017 we have;

Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-man: Homecoming
I think the list shows that Superhero movies are actually having to start changing up the formula finally. This year we've seen Marvel reboot a character without relying on another origin story. Their most successful was a comedy about a tree and a space racoon. Meanwhile, DC's credibility has been at least partially rescued by Wonderwoman, after two horrifically bad movies in 2016. I haven't seen Logan, but that too feels like the product of a studio wanting to try something different and keep things fresh. I'd written off superhero movies for ages, but they are finally starting to get out of the flunk of boring, safe movies.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I still enjoy the movies but don't feel any hype. That's probably a good thing though. Don't want to look forward to something just to be disappointed when I finally see it. Then again, very few movies these days that can actually get me excited to see them.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
As long as they're good and bring new ideas to the table I could probably go on like this forever honestly. The good thing about "superhero movies" is that that classification is meaningless. Comic books and their associated movies are full to the brim with interesting characters, events, places, and time periods.

Logan, Wonder Woman, and GotG 2 are all very different movies that have their own personality and I enjoyed them all quite a bit.

Spiderman was disappointing to me. It was a very shallow movie that had nothing to say except LOOK AT SPIDERMAN DOING COOL THINGS. The whole movie was basically that beginning gag where the guy asks Spiderman to do a flip and he does. Aside from a few cool moments it just came across as very formulaic and risk averse. The Vulture was pretty cool though.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I'm still enjoying the comic book/superhero movies. Sure, not all of them are great, but the same can be said of any genre. Also, I don't see them calling it quits after the Infinity Gauntlet situation gets resolved. I know I wouldn't. There's more money to be made.