When's the last time you read books like these?

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
The inherent problem with not knowing or caring, is allowing racism (as well as sexism) to thrive in the literary world. On the one hand, it sounds great that readers aren't worried about looking up the authors race or gender or nationality, on the other hand, it's ignoring a very serious problem.

The most published and reviewed and advertised authors, are white and male. That's just a fact. Are they better writers? No cause last time I checked social gender rules dictate women as the naturally literary minds while men are mathematical.

Right now, saying you don't care about who the author is, that's like ignoring a leaky pipe in your basement. You hardly ever, ever go into your basement, occasionally you here the dripping but you continue to pretend it's not happening. It's only going to get worse, break, and flood the basement unless you do something about it now. Actually, right now that basement is pretty flooded and probably has a body dumped there by a serial killer, and the house owner is continuing to ignore the problem.

The problem won't go away unless you do something about it.

The publishers and critics still view white, male authors as the better sellers and what people want to read. They are viewed the more valued and intelligent works. It's very much like the gaming industry, the perception that all gamers want male, strait, white protagonists and white males are perceived to dominate the developing games part because they are naturally more talented and mathematical for gaming.

However, that perception with gaming is changing thanks to people making noise.

Publishers won't change their habits until the audience makes an overwhelming change of purchasing habits and demand more variety and start being more aware of who the people are as authors. Which I would think would be a good virtue in itself to just generally know who the authors are.

I've noticed some people mention that most works by black authors are related to racism and slavery. As a white woman that likes to read and write, I have to strongly disagree, but at the same time I wonder if the majority of the books promoted and reviewed that are by black authors are in fact exactly that.

I can't help but notice that the majority of the black authors named in this thread, have very white sounding names and/or possibly are perceived white because they come from a European country(Alexandre Dumas). There is a similar phenomenon going on there to women having to use masculine pen names to get published, only in the case of race, it may be more like the issue of people applying for jobs. Ultimately, the publishers passes over anything that doesn't sound like a white name or a male name, with the ill conceived perception no one will buy it. J.K Rowling was encouraged to hide her feminine sounding name because the publisher thought little boys would not read the Harry Potter books if they see a woman's name.

It also all matters because many readers are surprised and shocked to hear authors are either not white or really a woman. Meaning they did have a mental depiction in their head of what the author looked like, and they unconsciously went to imagining a white male.

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
The only thing I learned from this thread is that I read books from black authors (as in I found out certain names I associated with the general type:author are now in type:black author (mainly for the purposes of polls such as these)) I really didn't know Alexandre Dumas was black but it probably doesn't influence my experience or enjoyment of his books. He might as well have been from Uranus for all I care and the only thing that would surprise me is how come he got to experience France in that period of history.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Blow_Pop said:
Do4600 said:
1. I read Invisible Man in high school. Do playwrights count? Like Langston Hughes? People who read don't read enough plays.

2. Almost constantly, I finished Crime and Punishment last fall and during the winter and I gobbled up The Millennium Trilogy. In between those I read a few assorted manga.

This Summer though I want to focus on a few books: "In Cold Blood" and "Ulysses" I've heard both really require a great deal of attention, so I'll probably not see a word of translated literature until Fall.
In Cold Blood was brilliant (and fyi Capote was white) and from what I remember, I enjoyed Crime and Punishment the first time I read it. Haven't tried to get a copy of Ulysses yet though.....

But honestly I don't see why Langston Hughes wouldn't count(I've mostly read his poems so far even though I have his collected works)never mind that comment as I just re-read the OP and first page and as a play or a poem isn't a novel it's apparently disqualified from this....though why the OP would disqualify any published work by a non white person I am unsure of but *shrugs*

Langston Hughes wrote prose too, he's just more commonly remembered for his role in popularising jazz poetry and the Harlem Renaissance.

That said, I certainly think poets and dramatists should certainly be included. They're different forms of writing, sure, but there are just as many themes/messages/morals presented and in many cases, the use of language can be considered far more controlled. Excluding black writers who don't write in the novel genre is ridiculous, in my humble opinion. Claude McKay, James Berry, Effie Lee Newsome etc. etc. have equal value as writers.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Queen Michael said:
Well, let's be honest here, people -- if I'd asked for a white writer, every single person would have been able to name at least one writer they knew was white that they'd read. Even though they "don't care about race and never bother to look up what a writer's face looks like." And that says something about our society, though I'm not sure what yet.
It says that pretty much all the most publicised authors (ie, those whose faces get plastered all over the internet/TV) are white. People only tend to know anything about either "classic" or "celebrity" authors. Black authors only really tend to get major publicity when they're writing about specific race issues, and you excluded those sorts of books from your criteria.

I totally agree that's a problem, but as others have said, it's a problem with the publishers, not the consumers of books (who, judging by this thread at least, genuinely wouldn't notice a sudden increase in black authors, or decrease in white ones for that matter).

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Stasisesque said:
Blow_Pop said:
Do4600 said:
1. I read Invisible Man in high school. Do playwrights count? Like Langston Hughes? People who read don't read enough plays.

2. Almost constantly, I finished Crime and Punishment last fall and during the winter and I gobbled up The Millennium Trilogy. In between those I read a few assorted manga.

This Summer though I want to focus on a few books: "In Cold Blood" and "Ulysses" I've heard both really require a great deal of attention, so I'll probably not see a word of translated literature until Fall.
In Cold Blood was brilliant (and fyi Capote was white) and from what I remember, I enjoyed Crime and Punishment the first time I read it. Haven't tried to get a copy of Ulysses yet though.....

But honestly I don't see why Langston Hughes wouldn't count(I've mostly read his poems so far even though I have his collected works)never mind that comment as I just re-read the OP and first page and as a play or a poem isn't a novel it's apparently disqualified from this....though why the OP would disqualify any published work by a non white person I am unsure of but *shrugs*

Langston Hughes wrote prose too, he's just more commonly remembered for his role in popularising jazz poetry and the Harlem Renaissance.

That said, I certainly think poets and dramatists should certainly be included. They're different forms of writing, sure, but there are just as many themes/messages/morals presented and in many cases, the use of language can be considered far more controlled. Excluding black writers who don't write in the novel genre is ridiculous, in my humble opinion. Claude McKay, James Berry, Effie Lee Newsome etc. etc. have equal value as writers.

I do have to agree. Prose is just as valid as a novel. Published work is published work. Some people can't read novels. Others can't read anything but novels. Me? I'm just slowly reading my way through about 6 or 7 counties worth of libraries right now (since the system my library is in consists of 6 or 7 other counties and my books tend to come from all over So Cal) with no definitive genre. And on a more personal note, I wish more non white non men would get published. There is some amazing talent in the world by women and people of colour that should get out but unfortunately it's still a white male dominated profession. Sadly.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Eamar said:
Queen Michael said:
Well, let's be honest here, people -- if I'd asked for a white writer, every single person would have been able to name at least one writer they knew was white that they'd read. Even though they "don't care about race and never bother to look up what a writer's face looks like." And that says something about our society, though I'm not sure what yet.
It says that pretty much all the most publicised authors (ie, those whose faces get plastered all over the internet/TV) are white. People only tend to know anything about either "classic" or "celebrity" authors. Black authors only really tend to get major publicity when they're writing about specific race issues, and you excluded those sorts of books from your criteria.

I totally agree that's a problem, but as others have said, it's a problem with the publishers, not the consumers of books (who, judging by this thread at least, genuinely wouldn't notice a sudden increase in black authors, or decrease in white ones for that matter).
Which, in fact, some of us would greatly love. And more female authors as well. And not just in the romance category because women can write more than romance. Hell, let's not just stop with black authors, how about authors of every race/ethnicity. And the only reason I know the ethnicity of the authors I read is because I use goodreads.com to track my books I've read so I can go back and look at who/what I've read and if I liked the author burn myself out on their books by devouring everything I can from them.

soulblade06

Mar 27, 2011
I mean, I don't go out of my way to avoid authors of a particular ethnicity. Generally speaking, I can't even remember the name of an author unless I really like the book(s) - but I do admit that many of ones that immediately come to mind are white, so I guess I need to start reading different books

Kentr_Wrolfsong

Aug 22, 2011
1. I just finished "Nairobi Heat" by Mukama Wa Ngugi of Kenya. About a month ago, I read "Real Cool Killers" by Chester Himes. And last year I read "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe.

2. I'm currently reading "Blood of Elves" by Andrzej Sapkowski of Poland. Before that was "Nairobi Heat." Before that, "Southern Seas" by Manuel Vasquez Montalban of Spain. Before that, "The Laughing Policeman" by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo of Sweden. And I have "Brother Kemal" by Jakob Arjouni of Germany sitting on my shelf for when I finish "Blood of Elves."

I read a lot of crime novels.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Baron-connect4-von-smythe said:
Both questions, one answer with the best book ever written (in my opinion)
The Count of Monte Cristo
Dumas wrote that?!
You learn something new every day.

Yeah, I replace my previous black author thing with Monte Cristo, which I read a week or 2 ago.

adamsaccount

Jan 3, 2013
soulblade06 said:
So if I've only read books by Asian authors am I still racist?

I mean, I don't go out of my way to avoid authors of a particular ethnicity. Generally speaking, I can't even remember the name of an author unless I really like the book(s) - and I will admit that I am guilty of mostly committing white authors to memory such as Patrick Rothfuss and Eoin Colfer to memory.

I mean, I could go out of my way to read a diverse group of books so I can be "cultured" and hipster and all of that, but I don't really see the point. Yes, I imagine some non-white, non-western authors have had trouble breaking into the market, but the same could be said about video game studios. I'm still not going to buy it unless it's been given good reviews and it seems like my kind of thing, in which case I will.
Reading a travel book is almost as good as going to a place, I overheard someone say the other day, and its cheaper too

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Well, I've read a hell of a lot of philosophy, and a good deal of it's translated from Ancient Greek or Latin or German. And a good deal of historical documents, translated from the same, or French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, or Japanese. But if we're mot counting those, then I guess it would be the Count of Monte Cristo from French or Crime and Punishment from Russian, and I've got the Witcher series on deck from Polish.

As for a black writer... I don't know. A couple of historical documents here, some journalism there, but not much else as far as I'm aware. Ah, wait, of course, Dumas (Count of Monte Cristo) was black.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Blow_Pop said:
I do have to agree. Prose is just as valid as a novel.
Well, prose is how novels are usually written, so that's kind of a false dichotomy.
Not when your country(or maybe it's just my state) teaches that prose is strictly poetry

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
1) I honestly don't know, I never check the authors unless it's one of those books that has a pic of the author and those are less then 5% of books I've read if that.
Though granted, of those that did have pics, I don't remember a single one being black.

2) War and Peace by Tolstoi? Though then again Russia is hardly a literary wasteland... I remember reading some books by african authors (hey, that might count for question 1! but problem is im not 100% sure they were black due to lack of photos, for all i know they were white africans) in school so this would have been a decade ago ><

Smiley Face said:
As for a black writer... I don't know. A couple of historical documents here, some journalism there, but not much else as far as I'm aware. Ah, wait, of course, Dumas (Count of Monte Cristo) was black.
Really? Ok then I change my answer of question 1 to "6 years ago". It doesn't count for the 2nd question though as french is one of my native languages.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Blow_Pop said:
Queen Michael said:
Blow_Pop said:
I do have to agree. Prose is just as valid as a novel.
Well, prose is how novels are usually written, so that's kind of a false dichotomy.
Not when your country(or maybe it's just my state) teaches that prose is strictly poetry
That would be a state of confusion, then, mate. =)

According to the Merriam-Webster, prose is "a literary medium distinguished from poetry especially by its greater irregularity and variety of rhythm and its closer correspondence to the patterns of everyday speech."

And their short definition is simply "writing that is not poetry." So yeah, quod erat demonstrandum and all that jazz.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I'm one of those people that have read a bunch of books but don't pay much attention to the authors unless I really like the book. Some of the authors I do know and read all their books are Michael Crichton, Dan Brown, Isaac Asimov and J.K. Rowling.

I guess I never read anything written by black authors because I'm mostly into sci-fi fantasies and haven't discover any good sci-fi black authors thus far. I would love if some one can recommend me some though.

As for foreign books I tried reading some chinese classic translated novels but just couldn't get into it because I found the names really confusing, all the xing and xin and xiao just got all mixed up for me.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
ExtraDebit said:
I'm one of those people that have read a bunch of books but don't pay much attention to the authors unless I really like the book. Some of the authors I do know and read all their books are Michael Crichton, Dan Brown, Isaac Asimov and J.K. Rowling.

I guess I never read anything written by black authors because I'm mostly into sci-fi fantasies and haven't discover any good sci-fi black authors thus far. I would love if some one can recommend me some though.

As for foreign books I tried reading some chinese classic translated novels but just couldn't get into it because I found the names really confusing, all the xing and xin and xiao just got all mixed up for me.
Samuel R. Delany's supposed to be both black and good.

And now I'm interested; what were the Chinese novels you tried reading?

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
I really don't know about the last book written by a black guy. :S Possibly not ever, tbh. Although that could quite easily be because, as everyone else has said, you can't really tell for sure what colour an author is. Not that it really matters, cos I buy based on taste.

Foreign books? Last one was probably Les Liasons Dangereuses. Pretty good book too. Bit hard to read sometimes, but ah well, it's an 18th century french novel, what can ya do?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
1 - Chester Himes - Cotton Comes to Harlem, recently.

Probably the weakest of the Harlem novels that I've read (Out of a Rage in Harlem, All Shot Up, The Heat's On and the Real Cool Killers), and he's a one for inelegant prose, but it's just so vivid.

2 - Jean-Paul Sartre - Nausea, sometime last year.

I'm currently reading Bertolt Brecht's novelisation of the Threepenny Opera, but I don't know if it's a translation. It's not as good as the play. And I can feel confident in that even not having read the play yet.