Where can I buy a straight razor?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
MorteSphere said:
http://www.classicshaving.com/harner.html

An entire ten seconds of google.

I meant around town, like Walmart ooooorrr.....do they even sell straight raxzors there?

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
MorteSphere said:

I meant around town, like Walmart ooooorrr.....do they even sell straight raxzors there?
They wouldn't sell enough to make it worth it for them.

I think, like rifles in the UK, they're the kind of thing that have been pushed underground out of any readily available source, needing to be ordered.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
I've seen them in Target around Christmas in one of those cheapo gift set things they sell. It did not appear to be a high quality product.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
On the internet.

Also, don't buy a cheapo razor for $10. Trust me, the blade will be too thick, and won't hold an edge well, and you won't be able to shave with it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Baneat said:
Quiet Stranger said:
MorteSphere said:

I think, like rifles in the UK, they're the kind of thing that have been pushed underground out of any readily available source, needing to be ordered.

oh god dammit, and I bet even those ones are expensive as hell.

Mr. Underson

Mar 28, 2011
eBay. Get a cheap one with disposable blades to start with. If you prefer the straight razor, buy a proper one after you run through the first pack of razors.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Baneat said:
Quiet Stranger said:
MorteSphere said:

oh god dammit, and I bet even those ones are expensive as hell.
Yes, the cheap end of the market's eradicated through this process. Unlike the US, you don't get shitty rifles, for example, since it's not worth their time to sell them. Citing Air rifles as a general point, other places where they're prominent you can buy cheap turds but here the worst you'll get is very good.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I see them as a little vinyl-hipstery though. Straight razors are the ones with the big fuck-off blade at the end, yeah? they were replaced by another kind for a reason, they're fucking dangerous. There's this transitional type blade which is supposed to beat both the super-old ones and the gillette 18-blade type. The blade itself lasts ages like a straight razor, and the blade itself is replaced like a modern one.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
internet

high-end men's grooming stores

beauty supply stores

antique shops

Travel supply stores

cutlery shops

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Particulate said:
cutlery shops
I lol'd.

But yeah. Try some beauty parlors that carry men's products, maybe even some pawn shops. Or just ask a barber.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
Lilani said:
Particulate said:
cutlery shops
I lol'd.

But yeah. Try some beauty parlors that carry men's products, maybe even some pawn shops. Or just ask a barber.
hey theres a shop in my town, just off mainstreet, that sells knives and only knives. pocket knives, machetes, steak knives, hunting knives, combat knives, yard blades, box cutters, commemorative blades, wallhanger swords, battle ready swords, and old school strait razors.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
UmJammerSully said:
Why do you want a straight razor anyway?

OT: Have to agree with guy I quoted. There's no real reason to get one. First off, they're dangerous, sharp, and you're putting them near your neck. Second, supposedly they are a pain to keep a proper edge on without a bit of practice. And I have no third reason. There's a reason they're not used anymore.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Particulate said:
Lilani said:
Particulate said:
cutlery shops
I lol'd.

hey theres a shop in my town, just off mainstreet, that sells knives and only knives. pocket knives, machetes, steak knives, hunting knives, combat knives, yard blades, box cutters, commemorative blades, wallhanger swords, battle ready swords, and old school strait razors.
Oh, it's not that I didn't believe you. It's just the thought of a simple shaving blade being sold among blades that are used to carve and cleave meat amused me. You know, in a Sweeny Todd sort of way.