Where can I get Dark Souls for PC?

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
So, here I find myself wanting to expand my gaming horizons and decided i should further venture into RPGs. While I'm currently in the process of downloading Skyrim, I've always wanted to try out Dark Souls as its always been praised as a challenging game and I like me a good challenge!

Only one problem, my preferred method of acquiring PC games, Steam, doesn't offer Dark Souls in my region (A practice which I call bullcrap to!) and I can't really get it through retail at the moment because in the SEA region finding this game is like finding platinum.

So yeah, can ya help me out here? While were at it can ya also suggest some other RPG games I can look into?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Is assume by retail you mean local game stores? If so you might be able to find it on Amazon or Play.com

There might be someone selling non-used PC copies on Ebay but that's a lot more risky.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
If Steam aren't selling it then the game is probably locked out of your region. It uses GFWL, which is total bullshit.

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
Dark Souls uses Games for Windows Live on PC, and if your profile is correct in stating you're from Malaysia, then you can't play it without a crack.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
I'm afraid you will probably be unable to get it in your region if GFWL has added it to the random screw-over list it has. However I say if you can get it on a console do that, the PC port is atrocious. You can probably get an old PS3 quite cheap now that the PS4 is out plus the PS3 has demon's soul's and will be getting dark souls 2 soon.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
As above, if it isn't on Steam, then it isn't available where you are. Sorry.

On the plus side, GFWL is set to die in either March or May, so all games tied to that insanely crappy service will no longer be shacked by them (hopefully).

NathLines

May 23, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
If Steam aren't selling it then the game is probably locked out of your region. It uses GFWL, which is total bullshit.
Here's hoping that they'll convert to steamworks now that GFWL is shutting down. Sadly, they haven't announced anything so I wouldn't get my hopes up about that :/ There's actually a lot of games that might not be getting rid of GFWL, I think there's only about 10-15 that are announced. All multiplayer games that uses it will be dead and useless; I don't know about the singleplayer ones.

Vladimir Stamenov

Nov 8, 2011
I have a question. The region lock applies to me since I can't even see the game on steam, but I wonder, if I get this version http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Prepare-Edition-Online/dp/B00917DBUE/ref=pd_sim_vg_7, will I be able to play it? There really isn't any other option, though it will be expensive, since the boxed copies in my country's stores are depleted and ordering a boxed copy from amazon or ebay would be even more expensive. I'd hate to pirate a seemingky great game like this, but if I can't get it legally... :/

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
If steam doesn't sell it to you then the GFWL license will not work in your respective country. Sorry there is nothing you can do legally about it. YOu can buy it from steam via ptoxy or VPN - but that can... WILL get you banned and the license canceled.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I don't think that it's true. Batman: Arkham City, before the recent removal of GFWL in favor of Steamworks, was unavailable in my country (Israel) on Steam. However, it was available in retail stores and Origin. I brought it on Origin and I played it without any problems on GFWL (other than the usual nonsense of course).

risue

Apr 3, 2010
You mention wanting some suggestions for RPGs on PC, seeing as dark souls may not work out for ya, here are some other suggestions:

The Witcher 1 & 2
Fallout (all of 'em, depending on how you feel about older games, otherwise 3 and NV are great)
Torchlight
Winter Voices (VERY niche game, try the demo before you buy it, i love it for what it is, others would say don't bother)
System Shock 2

Vladimir Stamenov

Nov 8, 2011
I want to ask, will this work for me http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Prepare-Online-Game/dp/B00917DBUE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1388250001&sr=1-2&keywords=dark+souls ? I have a valid US address that I use as a billing address, though I do not live in the US and I have bought game codes from Amazon before, but since Dark Souls is region-locked for me, I wonder whether if I use the code it will work for me? Or will I just be throwing 6 dollars away?

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Well I tried playing Dark Souls a few days ago and GFWL had been removed and I had gotten my save games moved over to my offline account.
So it's all good!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Vladimir Stamenov said:
I have a question. The region lock applies to me since I can't even see the game on steam, but I wonder, if I get this version http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Prepare-Edition-Online/dp/B00917DBUE/ref=pd_sim_vg_7, will I be able to play it? There really isn't any other option, though it will be expensive, since the boxed copies in my country's stores are depleted and ordering a boxed copy from amazon or ebay would be even more expensive. I'd hate to pirate a seemingky great game like this, but if I can't get it legally... :/
No. Both the Steam and boxed versions use the bullshit GFWL which isn't available for your country, its also the reason the OP couldn't find it on Steam.