Where can Mass Effect go from here?

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
SPOILER ALERT

READ AT OWN PLOT-RUINING RISK

I enjoyed the first Mass Effect on a level that isn't human. I enjoyed it so much that I played it through 8 times, beat it on insanity, and even reached level 60. Then I played Mass Effect 2. I very much enjoyed it, but was somewhat annoyed that there weren't any major plot twists or reference to the Reapers. In the first game you walk into a lab, and talk directly to sovereign, and then go on to destroy it. In ME2 you know who the bad guys are from the first mission, and (ENDING SPOILERS) the final boss fight is a human reaper. What did that do to add to the story line at all? Yes, I know that it has to do with why they abducted human colonies, but it also could have been a giant carebear and not changed anything in the story leading up to that point... So I ask, what can Mass Effect 3 do to add to the story at this point? Where can Mass Effect go from here? Please also share your thoughts about what you think the story will be about in ME3

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Well... from what I understand is that they had replaced the original writer for the time being so he could work on The Old Republic. And having done that they didn't want to change too much and screw up the flow of Mass Effect so this sequel is more of an intermission between the first and third.

Decisions may come to light and actually matter, but the feeling of accomplishment is nonexistent.

Whatever happens to Mass Effect 3 remains to be seen... the...
Reapers are closing in on our galaxy and plan to kill us all.
But if the above is true... then we can expect that Shepard is amassing an even greater squad and will eventually create an incredible weapon that just happens to be their last hope. They then find out that the weapon has been sabotaged and it takes Shepard to learn that he had the true power all along hidden inside him and he just unleashes it against the Reapers and decides to start an orgy with all of his crewmates to celebrate their victory and the extinction of the Reapers.

Well, that's how I see it anyways.

Veret

Apr 1, 2009
For plot specifics, I honestly have no idea. Trust in Bioware to bring a good story.

To answer your more general question, though, I think they'll have plenty of ideas for ME3. The reason ME2 was so short on actual plot was because it had to be: The first game introduced the setting and the conflict, the last game will wrap it up, and the middle game has to be entertaining for a couple dozen hours without advancing the plot. Everything that's been introduced in the last two games can be completely wrapped up in the third one, and you have to figure that's going to be several kinds of epic.

Henrik Persson

Mar 14, 2010
Personally I'm under the impression that ME2 was mostly to introduce the cast of ME3. Now you've gathered those you are to fight the threat with, ME3 will be about fighting the threat.

Btw, I sort of enjoyed Mass Effect, but I absolutely loved ME2. Mass Effect had a better story, but ME2 had better gameplay, dialogue and characters.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
ME2 was mainly preparing for ME3, introducing new (and IMO more interesting) characters, showing the development (for better or worse) of the previous crew, and, most importantly, developing the potential alliances with other races. Eg. Cerberus (with or without Collector ship), The Geth, Krogans, Rachni, along with a bunch of other set-up situations dependant on your previous actions.

ME3 is gonna be the collective result of all your past actions and choice culminating in the massive battle/possible slaughter by the Reapers.

Or that's how I see it anyway...