Where did all the older Escapist users go?

Feb 28, 2008
Lurked behind the scenes for a few years watching Zero Punctuation then joined. I'm constantly surprised to find myself as one of the older users wherever I post...

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Sup I said:
Yahtzee then Extra Credits and Unforgotten realms. Eventually I made an account and here I am. I still never understand why Maxthereaper was banned.

Jun 11, 2008
Most have been banned, others left purposefully, other just stopped coming and also the site before Yahtzee was quite small so while back a few years ago there were loads of 08s and 07s now you're lucky to see an 07 and 08s are getting more uncommon.

The rest stay in forum games and user groups fewer and fewer people even from my own year and before bother to post in these sections.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I'm still here! =D

I've been here quite a while, and probably will be here for many more years xD

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well... I lurked for nearly a year before I joined, and I haven't accumulated tens of thousands of posts, I just choose what to say when I feel I must say something I guess. So technically an oldie, just a quiet one.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Why? I found Yahtzee on youtube back in 2007, and when he migrated over to here I came with him. Of course I didn't sign up for an account until 2010 :/

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
No interesting topics to post in = no posting.

Then again, I'm not "old" since I'm not a prolific poster nor do I make it a point to stick out. *shrug*

[sub]Plus, I've only been here a couple of years, but w/e...[/sub]

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Lunar Shadow said:
I just realized I am one of those older members. I friggin miss Joe, MaxTheReaper, Demented Teddy, Khel, etc. I personally tend to stick to the R&P forum, but I find my self posting less and less as the people I like to discuss that crap with disappear.
Here here

Those were good times my friend, good times.

I am not such an old user but the changes that I have seen since joining have kind of killed the community. Plus there just isn't really that much happening in the forums anymore.

There used to be a lot more discussion too with lots of quoting but now it seems to be lots of opinion stating without reading other comments

I lurk more than I post now

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Sup I said:
Sassafrass said:
They moved on.
Got banned.
Still hang around but don't post much.
I ate them all.
They all got pissy about a certain user-group trying to have fun and left. Not really, I'm just joking about this one. :D

Take your pick.
But there are some still active, you just need to keep an eye open. I know there's a 2004 user lurking around somewhere.
You shouldn't joke about that stuff.
Jokes aside, why did they all go and get themselves banned? God damnit...
Some of them got banned intentionally some just got on the bad side of a mod and most of the community and got reported for stupid shite. The escapist community has changed their rules as far as what is allowed and what isn't. I've been here since 2009. Most of the older posters I know are either in forum games/rp or in user groups because they just can't deal with the bullshite of the regular forums. Even with being here since 2009 I rarely post. It isn't because I grew up or got a job or family. Its because the quality of topics has declined. And I don't think Sass was joking al that much(except about eating them all).....

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Sup I said:
Something I recently became aware of was the lack of older Escapist users on the forums. That's not to say they're not there, but they appear rarely. In 90% of the threads I enter, 20% are 2011, 30% are 2010, 20% are 2009, 10% are 2008 and the rest are older.
Obviously I welcome every newcomer. I'm not even that old. All I saying is it seems really odd. Where did everybody go? Was there an exodus with extra cedits that I missed? Because I feel sort of lonely these days...
To make this discussion worthy, post why you came to the Escapist. For me it was Unforgotten Realms, before it was shit.
They got bored, got banned, or became admins, for the most part.

The forum health bar did indeed contribute, but most had dropped off before it was implemented. Ultrajoe still posts occasionally (although I've not seen her in a while), LaCoil, Anarchemitis, TheRootOfAllEvil... There's a few others. I remember when Furburt and Teddy and that lot were the newbies and there was a big furore over how post count seemed to denote superiority rather than time invested in the forums. That made some of the members inexplicably angry. Although it was before the usergroups were implemented, where post counts of more than 4000-or-so were rare. Now ever little two-character smiley you post in a usergroup counts.

The only things that keep me here now are, really:

1) The Religion and Politics forum, because I don't have anyone prepared to talk about that stuff irl.

2) All those usergroups I've founded as part of the general PC group. The TF2 one being the main one. I used to be much more active in that but since delegation I've been letting others basically run it for me (and they do it very well, I must say). I can't just *leave* though. I'm friends with too many of them now. :p

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
I'm just posting because I want to see what my join date is without leaving the page

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Furburt, Hubilub and Demented Teddy all got banned, didn't they? And whatever happened to Snooty Englishman?
Oh, man. Really? I've actually been wondering about Furburt recently. I remember Hubilubs goodbye post and Teddy getting banned, but never saw Furburt go. Granted, the one time Hubilub quoted me it was to yell at me and call me an idiot, but I still miss them... I guess?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Hardcore_racist said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Hardcore_racist said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
The new forum health bar has to be the nail in the coffin with it. Before, you could see an older user get probation around half a dozen times, but now half a dozen offenses = suspension or banning.

Or when they introduced IP bans, rather than account bans... or, at least I don't remember us always having IP bans.

Some left altogether, some only stay in the user groups, some went to other forums. I remember Furburt made his own forums, and I'm sure several of the older users went there.
They have IP bans? Then why can I keep making new accounts after they ban me all the time? This is like my seventh account on here, I think.
You do know ban hopping is violating that law? They banned you because you did something wrong, and coming on here again, calling yourself "Hardcore_Racist" then admitting that you have banhopped 7 times will probably get you banned *reported*
NO, REALLY, I'M GONNA GET BANNED FOR THIS?! ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?! I've been here a few more years than you, so don't try to be a smartass.

The name is just a pun that me and a friend who's a frequent user around here thought up since we both call the member Hardcore_gamer by the name Hardcore_racist instead. He's a delusional icelandic nationalist, and the name is nothing but a stab at him.

I remember when the users around here were so smug they called it "the internets last bastion of intelligence", it's funny how people like you sink it below the likes of Gamespot nowadays. Ah well, I might be banned soon, but I'll see you later on my next account then! I try to make a habit out of insulting Caramelfrappe in my first post with each of my accounts since he's a huge ******, so I'm sure you'll recognize me.
Really? The reason you have been here so long is because you have ban hopped so much. Seriously, you call me a smartass then go saying that just because you have been here longer it means that you have every right to ban hop and call people "huge faggots".

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Just posting less, you get tired of internet arguments after awhile. Also that muller advert down there is pretty irritating at times, like I know they need adverts but make them video game related?

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Yahtzee, and when I realized Extra Credits was to come here I was even happier because I knew of them beforehand.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Most of us got bored and wandered off. Some quit in a rage, while shaking their walking sticks at you young'uns.
Change happened, and not everyone takes to it well. Hell, I can't stand facebook now and I was on it all the time 3 years ago.

People got annoyed with the massive influx of new people, the seemingly harsher moderation and the adverts. [small]I paid to have the adverts removed and now I'm finding the replacement banners equally annoying. Improved videos are good though[/small]...I digress. Some people got themselves kicked out, others left and you know some of us have to go out and work, or do other stuff. [small]I remember when furburt and the like were fresh faced, polite young people...[/small]