Where have all the Escapists gone?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That's going to change in a few weeks buddy, MM is coming. /game of thrones.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, there has been a decline of interesting threads for me to post in the Offtopic forum.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
A number of things drew and/or pushed me away from The Escapist. My sister moved out, so I've taken up her workload, all the threads I came into for almost a whole month had really elitist people in them, went through a short period of depression, my mom's trying to get me to hang out with this girl she works with, and that's all before I got Skyrim...

But I came back around the end of December, and I plan on staying.

As for where everyone else is...hell, I don't know. Did you check the basement?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Nouw said:
EDIT: Now that I think of it, there has been a decline of interesting threads for me to post in the Offtopic forum.
Even my recent offerings? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.352268-Poll-Escapist-LRR-Fans-decide#13958841] D:

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
I'm not sure what's going on but I've noticed it too.
I've been lurking here for getting on to four years now and I've never noticed it this quiet, and there's very few recognizable names any more.
Maybe March Mayhem will draw in some crowds but I am always wary of new blood. At least 50% of them will probably be perma-banned after a few weeks.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Personally, it seems like the forums has basically become nothing but flaming in a lot of ways. Like the whole ME3 DLC issue that people bring up over and over to the point we have so many threads about it. I honestly don't feel like posting my opinion more often then not because I know I'll eventually have someone try starting an arguement with me.

And I don't really want to bother arguing with someone I'll likely never meet about something neither of us is likely to change our opinion on and really doesn't matter anyways. I also don't want them to think 'He didn't post back so I must be right' which is a common attitude from what I've seen. Not to mention that, since people don't read threads (and I admit I don't either), I can have an arguement/discussion, figure out the issue, and then have people quoting my post over and over even though it's just the same song and dance.

Frankly the Escapist community seems pretty hostile overall. There are a lot of good posters, but for the most part it seems like you can't have a single thread without someone trying to start a fight with someone. Maybe that's just me. But it's an atmosphere that really crushes any desire I have to post.

That, and I take too long to post and normally end up posting something long and pointless.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Hey, I am still around. Do I not count? D:

And Amne is still around, he just mostly posts in R&P nowadays.

Also, most of them have been banned. ravensheart, swollengoat, furbert, hubalub/cherry cola, demented teddy... the list just goes on and on.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
New idea: Everyone in this thread who has acknowledged the problem should think of something interesting and make a post about it within the next 24 hours.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I've stopped posting as much as I used to. A lot of the time now I get halfway through writing a post and just stop and think "Does anyone really need to read this?" And then I close the tab.

Things are about to get more- eugh... lively again with this years MM.

I really hope things don't go as far south as they've done the last few times.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I doubt I'd be recognized but I is still here! *raises hand and jumps up and down which just screams "notice me, notice me!!!"*
I'm honestly here probably a little too much. The forums have seemed a little slow lately and I was wondering if that was just cause I was here too often or not.

But as has been stated befor lots of people are avoiding the Mass Effect 3 threads cause "bioware and EA are ebil!" and DAY 1 DLC! Day 1 DLC!!!!!!!!! *sob.* Not to mention I think there may be some escapists hiding out from the Mass Effect spoilers. I personally try to skate around the ME articles and continue to visit but the From Ashes secret has pretty much plastered itself against my screen and screamed at me. *le sigh*

Anyways glad to see you back even if I'm not very familiar with you. Give it some time and I bet the forums will pick back up. Everything has its slow periods after all.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I've been lurking more than usual recently, I've been struggling recently, literally physically ill from being depressed over my mom who has ...A.P.P. or something, a rare form of asphasia. Basically she's lost her ability to communicate and this is after her father has died of Alzheimers, who I also visited in the hospital all the time as a child.

Also the topics have been a lot of stupid stuff that I just don't care to post on anymore.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Well I know I don't post often anymore due to those strict rules they passed a while back. Can't just say 'yes' 'no' 'dog' as a reply anymore :/

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Screamarie said:
againt my better judgment Ive stuck around, even though Ive said a million times I'm avoiding ME3 spoilers

to be honest I havnt had anything spoilered for me (as in I prefer to know as little as possible..I may already know too much)

though rest assured when it comes out Im gone untill Ive finished

I am surprised that most of the hate is directed at secondary things (like teh gay and DLC)..still a bit of deja vu huh?

EDIT: and I actually do recognise you

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm here every day. However I find very few threads actually worth commenting on though.
As for everyone else, I'm guessing if they're not still around somewhere then they've either gotten themselves banned or have just moved on.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Vault101 said:
Screamarie said:
againt my better judgment Ive stuck around, even though Ive said a million times I'm avoiding ME3 spoilers

to be honest I havnt had anything spoilered for me (as in I prefer to know as little as possible..I may already know too much)

I am surprised that most of the hate is directed at secondary things (like teh gay and DLC)..still a bit of deja vu huh?
I totally know how you feel. I spend a lot of time here at the escapist (time I could have used being productive but where's the fun in that) so I've been trying to visit topics that are not about ME3...at the same time trying to get into non-spoilerific discussions....it's been challenging. I haven't even been watching trailers cause I don't want to know whos coming, who isn't, or anything until I get to actually play.

Course what makes me sad is that I pre-ordered a CE from amazon and amazon estimates it's delivery a full week after launch day. That makes me very, very sad and probably means I'll have to avoid the site entirely.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Screamarie said:
Vault101 said:
Screamarie said:

snip.
I am partly guilty (homosexuality in ME3 thread) but yeah, I havt seen any trailers...in fact I never saw any of the trailers for ME1 2 or 3 (I did cacth a glimpse of trailer femsehep in a jimquisition Video..made my heart skip a few beats)

thankfully though I'm actually not that bothered with the whole thing..before I was dreading a repeat of DA2 (a game I was geniunly psyched for..which was ripped apart before my very eyes..I wouldnt have been able to afford it at the time anyway)

theres been some complaing but nothing over disheartening, and avoided anything ME3 related has been the best Idea (nothing more annoying than having somthing spoilered through thread title) ME3 is a big deal for me and I'm not going ot let a bunch of people on the internet ruin it (I wonder if I would have loved DA2 had I played it blissfully ignorant of the escapist..now I havnt even played it)

as fir you CE...damn that sucks (got mine pre-ordered..from a good old fashioned store) if your really desperate you could rent or even buy a copy in the meantime...unless your PC..which which case..yeah sorry

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Vault101 said:
Screamarie said:
Vault101 said:
Screamarie said:

snip.
I am partly guilty (homosexuality in ME3 thread) but yeah, I havt seen any trailers...in fact I never saw any of the trailers for ME1 2 or 3 (I did cacth a glimpse of trailer femsehep in a jimquisition Video..made my heart skip a few beats)

thankfully though I'm actually not that bothered with the whole thing..before I was dreading a repeat of DA2 (a game I was geniunly psyched for..which was ripped apart before my very eyes..I wouldnt have been able to afford it at the time anyway)

theres been some complaing but nothing over disheartening, and avoided anything ME3 related has been the best Idea (nothing more annoying than having somthing spoilered through thread title) ME3 is a big deal for me and I'm not going ot let a bunch of people on the internet ruin it (I wonder if I would have loved DA2 had I played it blissfully ignorant of the escapist..now I havnt even played it)

as fir you CE...damn that sucks (got mine pre-ordered..from a good old fashioned store) if your really desperate you could rent or even buy a copy in the meantime...unless your PC..which which case..yeah sorry
Yeah I saw your thread on the subject. I thought about posting but I felt it would be pointless as I completely agreed with you. At one time I thought that Bioware had cut out the homosexuality in ME1 because of the controversy, but over time they've proven that they don't really seem to care about that so I figure it's likely they were telling the truth about not having the time all those years ago.

As for Dragon Age 2 I haven't purchased it myself, but I want to...I've heard a lot of naysayers for it, but I still figure I'll get it because that's the same that happened to ME2 in my opinion.

And thanks for the rental suggestion but I think I'll wait. Nothing like being able to open up a brand new copy of a game that's all yours, you know? I would have pre-ordered from a store but I have no video game store in town and amazon gave me ten dollars off and I got free shipping, so how could I refuse?

Meet you back here at the Escapist in about three weeks to compare games ^_^

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I don't know anyone here and no one here knows me, but I've quit posting regularly recently because I just stopped caring.

The community has stopped posting things I find relevant to my interests, so I left. I watch videos, maybe drop a comment, laugh at some of the more ignorant posts, and leave.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
I have noticed that the place has significantly slowed down and honestly I'm glad. New members might be a good thing as this place has been up to its tits in jerks for a long long time now. Also there is little discussion that can be had with the hive mentality I find on this sight. Most threads are just something the OP knows everyone will agree with and then the circle jerk begins.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I've been feeling similarly. Of course, I've been on hiatus for a while, but I doubt you were referring to me, anyways.