Where have all the Escapists gone?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, I'm not seeing as people from early 2008 such as myself but I still think there are plenty of people around. However, the quality of threads have declined (and we also have people posting the same thing over and over). Also, I'm seeing less and less topics on games and if I do see any, they tend to be people flaming games and such.

"Oh the times, they are a-changing."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Phlakes said:
My theory is still that last winter and this spring have thrown way too much shit at the fan. Gamers are one of the angriest bunches in the world, and with a lot of this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization] to go around, the massive anti-corporation side of the community is an unstoppable horde.
Aye.
The internet hate machine is more akin to a group of digital "lynch mobs".
Especially for gaming these days.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Everyone knows me! Right?....right?
Bah!
OT: Yea, most of the people that know me on this forum proabably think im a dick, because I am. I almost completely stopped posting since the fun purges began where saying the wrong thing got you banned.

All the fun people like hankman and stuff got banned, and I don't know why. I miss them.
The threads have been going down the crapper too. Now it's just "PIRACY, DLC, PIRACY, DLC, EA EA EA EA, PIRACY, DLC, RAGE RAGE, HATRED, BLARGHHHH, GIRLFREND LEFT ME, VALVE SUCKS, VALVE ROCKS, BLARGHHHHHH etc."
Yea, the site is going down the drain, and the water in the drain is made of bad threads, bad, unfunny flame wars, and lack of puns.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
lRookiel said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Things are about to get more- eugh... lively again with this years MM.

I really hope things don't go as far south as they've done the last few times.
Please do elaborate? I havn't experienced a MM rush so could you describe what it's like? :3
Tonnes of awful new users who usually know nothing about the etiquette of this site (or forums in general) and don't care to.

Seriously, it's worst time of the year for actual discussion.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
vivalahelvig said:
Everyone knows me! Right?....right?
Bah!
OT: Yea, most of the people that know me on this forum proabably think im a dick, because I am. I almost completely stopped posting since the fun purges began where saying the wrong thing got you banned.

All the fun people like hankman and stuff got banned, and I don't know why. I miss them.
The threads have been going down the crapper too. Now it's just "PIRACY, DLC, PIRACY, DLC, EA EA EA EA, PIRACY, DLC, RAGE RAGE, HATRED, BLARGHHHH, GIRLFREND LEFT ME, VALVE SUCKS, VALVE ROCKS, BLARGHHHHHH etc."
Yea, the site is going down the drain, and the water in the drain is made of bad threads, bad, unfunny flame wars, and lack of puns.
when do you recoon this started happening? because its kind of been liek that for a while

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
I'd say it's a combination of this:

JoJo said:
I guess there's just a turn-over, some people leave, others come along. The forums have seemed a little slow recently to me recently, might be down to some people leaving after the Extra Credits debacle or the redesign as you said.
And This:

lRookiel said:
Were here... but all the topics at the moment are stupid "OMG DAY 1 DLC FOR ME3 IS BAD!111!". Just like the topics were all "YAY SKYRIM!!!" last november. the forums are going through the next 'big release' cycle of threads that get tiring fast! And there are less replies on these threads because of how many there are, give it time and the forums will be back to normal...
The Extra Credits mess was a big one, as I know several friends who stopped visiting the site when that went down (and honestly, I can't blame them, but given Russ Pitts is no longer in charge (not saying he's a bad guy, but he handled this situation badly), I say all is forgiven). When there are a variety of games out, people will start talking more, but it's hard to get excited over a run-of-the-mill game like Syndicate, and unfortunately, the number of people playing Kingdoms of Amalur is nowhere near what the game deserves to have as a fan base, at least on this site.

As for me, I don't post all that often because I'm at an academically rigorous college, and by the time I get to a topic, chances are someone's already said what I wanted to say more eloquently than I could, and I never post without trying to add to the conversation.

Oh, and brandon237, welcome back to the forums man. I don't post often, but I have been around for three(ish) years now, and it's nice to have you back

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Falcon123 said:
Oh, and brandon237, welcome back to the forums man. I don't post often, but I have been around for three(ish) years now, and it's nice to have you back
Why thank-you, thank-you very much :)

And reading these replies has also given me another potential perspective: the quantity may not have gone down much... but with some of threads around now...quality has seen the worst of the dip >.<

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
A lot of the older guys, (Furburt, DemonicTeddy, etc) went to Furburts self started forum called Yellow Leprechauns or something. I checked it out, but... wasn't working for me.
Fuck me they are all there, Cuthbert, Sassa, pararaptor etc. I just assumed they where all culled at some point and ceased to exist.

I see what you mean about it not working, for some reason I don't want to sign up :/

I like to think they occasionally have a look see, just to see whats happening and if the place got any better.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
y'know, i've been a lurker here for a while, but i'm not really remembering the 'good ole days' everyone else seems to be.

i think the only time the forum really changed was that whole extra credits thing. we lost a lot of people. but i think we've steadily begun to get new people to replace those who left. i don't think the current quality of threads will stay the same forever.

thinking back now though, i do miss the amount of hustle an bustle there used to be, with shows and articles getting around a hundred comments the first day they were here. depending on what they were of course.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
I mostly lurk. Then I get bored and I post some. That's where I am though nobody cares...

[sub][sub]Moo... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dys8KUnwGGg&feature=plcp&context=C347899fUDOEgsToPDskJvEpxLpmxoYkFzJ8dwT6SW][/sub][/sub]

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
brandon237 said:
For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

So please Escapists, tell me where you are, what happened? It is just tragic :(
We got older and went to universities, we got jobs and some of us even got girlfriends.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
brandon237 said:
For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

We got older and went to universities, we got jobs and some of us even got girlfriends.

Heeeey. I got older, went to collage last year, have had a job for 5 years and have a girlfriend. Yet I still have the time to moderate this place.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I like the new design...
Anyway I guess people just moved on. I know a few people went to the Mellow Leprechauns.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
TimeLord said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
brandon237 said:

Heeeey. I got older, went to collage last year, have had a job for 5 years and have a girlfriend. Yet I still have the time to moderate this place.
You are one dedicated son of a gun, that must take some SERIOUS time-management there.

I don't understand how having a girlfriend would decrease Escapist time (significantly anyway) though... unless she was surgically attached in which case not posting here is the least of your problems >.<

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
They've Gone Sir, They've all gone. And we're back. The very new escapist who are still unexplicably commenters....

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
im still here, just now that i am more of a lurker these days...

but i still comment on the odd thread or video once in a while.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
brandon237 said:

The new layout scared and confused me. *looks like a deer in headlights*

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
The new design has really grown on me, I can't remember what the one was like to be honest.

I've been here for a while (I visit every day, don't allways post) and to be honest I haven't noticed a drop in traffic, Though I do notice trends.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
TimeLord said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
brandon237 said:

You've got a girlfriend? Damn, first the real one, now our forum-Doctor. Will this never end!