Where in the timeline is zelda breath of the wild

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pretty much what others have said. Even if you ignore the Hyrule Historia, just by looking at the games, it's established that:

-Zelda 2 is a sequel to the original

-Majora's Mask and Wind Waker have to take place after Ocarina of Time

-Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks take place after Wind Waker

-Oracle of Seasons & Ages have to take place in close proximity to one another

-Link's Awakening has to take place after Link defeated Ganon

-Four Swords & Four Swords Adventures have to take place after The Minish Cap

-Skyward Sword has to take place before any Zelda game that has Ganon in it or a settled Hyrule

-And plenty of other inference (e.g. Twilight Princess almost certainly took place after Ocarina of Time)

The Hyrule Historia's only iffy move is the addition of the third timeline, where Link fails to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time. Otherwise it functions just fine, and confirms...ahem, 'links' between games that anyone familiar with the series would have picked up on. Skyward Sword also aids this in that it establishes that the basis for the entire series is that it's basically cyclical history - Demise's curse will always remain. Ganondorf will always arise/endure, and there will always be a Link and Zelda to stop him. I've long since argued that Ocarina of Time is a tragedy, and at the end of the day, the entire series fits the definition of a tragedy as well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Kibeth41 said:
I wouldn't say the third timeline is iffy, it was just something which no one expected to be canonical.

But it makes sense, if Link is defeated, the Sacred Realm is never restored, which is why we have the dark world in Link to the Past. However, Ganon is absent due to the 7 Sages sealing him within the Sacred Realm (which further leads to its transformation into the Dark World).

In the other timelines, Link defeats Ganon, which means that the sages aren't forced to seal Ganon within the Sacred Realm, which means that they are able to restore it, leading to a lack of Dark World in any of the other Zeldas in the other timelines.
Nothing's wrong with that statement, but you may have misunderstood what I meant by "iffy." If Link is defeated, then yes, I can see the Imprisoning War occurring and A Link to the Past coming afterwards. However, what puts me off is that it's a case of effect without cause.

The split timeline theory existed for a reason, because Ocarina of Time leant itself to that. We have one timeline where Link and Zelda stop Ganondorf where Link travels back to his childhood, warns Zelda, and events go from there. We then have the seven years timeline, with Hyrule in ruins and Ganondorf imprisoned in the Dark World. These two timelines had logical branching points. The third timeline is based on Link failing. Which, if Link failed at all, should stop either of those other two timelines existing.

It therefore puts me off because, like I said, it's effect without cause. Also, if Link failing is a "what if?" that exists, then potentially the timeline could branch off from any game in the series, with the premise that "Link failed here, so we can roll with it." We finally have a working timeline for the Zelda series, and while I don't think every title needs to have connections with another, I'd like to think they could still fit. However, the premise of the third timeline is still the Achilles Heel so far.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Hawki said:
Kibeth41 said:
I wouldn't say the third timeline is iffy, it was just something which no one expected to be canonical.

But it makes sense, if Link is defeated, the Sacred Realm is never restored, which is why we have the dark world in Link to the Past. However, Ganon is absent due to the 7 Sages sealing him within the Sacred Realm (which further leads to its transformation into the Dark World).

In the other timelines, Link defeats Ganon, which means that the sages aren't forced to seal Ganon within the Sacred Realm, which means that they are able to restore it, leading to a lack of Dark World in any of the other Zeldas in the other timelines.
Nothing's wrong with that statement, but you may have misunderstood what I meant by "iffy." If Link is defeated, then yes, I can see the Imprisoning War occurring and A Link to the Past coming afterwards. However, what puts me off is that it's a case of effect without cause.

The split timeline theory existed for a reason, because Ocarina of Time leant itself to that. We have one timeline where Link and Zelda stop Ganondorf where Link travels back to his childhood, warns Zelda, and events go from there. We then have the seven years timeline, with Hyrule in ruins and Ganondorf imprisoned in the Dark World. These two timelines had logical branching points. The third timeline is based on Link failing. Which, if Link failed at all, should stop either of those other two timelines existing.

It therefore puts me off because, like I said, it's effect without cause. Also, if Link failing is a "what if?" that exists, then potentially the timeline could branch off from any game in the series, with the premise that "Link failed here, so we can roll with it." We finally have a working timeline for the Zelda series, and while I don't think every title needs to have connections with another, I'd like to think they could still fit. However, the premise of the third timeline is still the Achilles Heel so far.
One theory I heard for fitting the third timeline in with the rest, which I quite like, is a time travel related theory. The basis of it is basically Link doesn't travel back in time when he goes from Adult Link to Child Link. Instead Link abandons the timeline he is in, which becomes the defeated Link Timeline, meanwhile when he travels back to the future he creates another alternate future. This path is forced because Link has to travel back to being a child in order to complete the spirit temple.

Now I admit this isn't exactly the most air tight theory, but I liked it anyway. It was an explanation that at least tried to come up with a way that all three timelines could exist at the same time.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
The third timeline can't fit after any of the games. The third timeline is a setting where Link is defeated, but then Ganon is still beaten by the Seven Sages, who are only featured in Ocarina of Time.

In Ocarina of Time, the Sacred Realm becomes corrupted, and this is used as a building point for aLttP. Since Link loses, defeating Ganondorf becomes much harder, and the only way the Sages manage it is by sealing Ganondorf within the corrupted Sacred Realm (dark world), where he begins to grow his power, transforms into the Demon King, and begins plotting a path back to the light world.

If Link lost at any other point in time, the events would have been different and aLttP wouldn't connect to the storyline, because the Sacred Realm may have not been corrupted, the Sages wouldn't be around to combat Ganon after Link loses, and he would have roamed around relatively unhinged. The branching point is only possible in OoT because of the specific circumstances where Link wasn't neccesarily the only hope.

If anything I'd say the connection between aLttP and OoT is way more direct than the connection between OoT and Wind Waker
I think part of his point is that this sort of thing opens up the possibility of many, many more branching paths than limiting branching paths solely to time travel. It makes sense, but I think it clashes thematically with the other two branches.

It's been some time since I've played Ocarina of Time, but assuming it is canon that you go back in time at least once prior to the end of the game, then the first timeline might have been "abandoned". They could have, instead of calling it the "Link fails" timeline, called it the "abandoned" timeline, where Link goes back in time before defeating Ganon without returning. That would explain the inconsistencies between the gameplay and story much better, in my opinion, while having the same end result.

Edit: Fucking ninjas, man. A mere minute too late.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Hasn't Nintendo literally stated that they don't consider the timeline when making Zelda games? That they make the game and then decide where it sits in the timeline. Effectively proving that the timeline is meaningless and not something Nintendo cares about. Which explains why it is so crazy and convoluted.

aba1 said:
I am surprised how easily people here are dismissing the timeline. When you play the games if you look you can find tons of references to other games they are just subtle. Some of the easiest find were in Wind Waker. You literally meet the Great Deku Seed all grown up. There is also windows in Hyrule with all the sages from OoT. These are just two between those games off hand. There has been tons of other clues and references throughout the series between all the different games. Not to mention people like it because it adds a greater depth to the series allowing you to get more attached to what is going on rather than just going through the motions.
You can find subtle references to other Final Fantasy games in any other game in the franchise. If we assumed any FF game that referenced another was part of the same world, FFT, FFVII, FFIX, FFX, and FFXII are all part of world.

The timeline probably looking something like:
FFX-->FFVII-->FFIX-->FFT-->FFXII

That's just based on a few minor references I remember off the top of my head.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Well.. Considering the sages are the ones who seal Ganon, it needs to be abandoned between the points of Link gathering the sages, and Ganon's defeat.

Personally, I always just figured that Link simply loses during the final battle. I find it pretty far fetched that Link abandons anything considering he literally possesses the "Triforce of Courage"

Besides, it not as if all Links are related. For the most part, quite a few Links look completely different, they just all wear the heroes clothes.
It obviously wouldn't be purposely abandoning the timeline, since he presumably didn't mean to abandon the Adult Link timeline either (but he did).

However, I think I am actually convinced that it cannot be a third timeline, given the evidence provided in Wind Waker. Since the Adult Link timeline is considered abandoned, in Wind Waker we see that Toon Link doesn't possess the Triforce of Courage or the Hero's Spirit, and has to craft the former. The Hero's Spirit was taken back in time to the Young Link timeline, leaving the Adult timeline without one.

Thus, I have to admit that I see no feasible way for the Hero's Spirit (or Triforce of Courage, whatever) to exist in the 'failed' timeline unless OoT Link died. Any other kind of abandoning of timelines like the Adult timeline would result in the Hero's Spirit no longer being present, which I believe contradicts the games in that timeline.

(I'm still confused what your point was with Links not being related. Of course they aren't).

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
chadachada123 said:
It obviously wouldn't be purposely abandoning the timeline, since he presumably didn't mean to abandon the Adult Link timeline either (but he did).

However, I think I am actually convinced that it cannot be a third timeline, given the evidence provided in Wind Waker. Since the Adult Link timeline is considered abandoned, in Wind Waker we see that Toon Link doesn't possess the Triforce of Courage or the Hero's Spirit, and has to craft the former. The Hero's Spirit was taken back in time to the Young Link timeline, leaving the Adult timeline without one.

Thus, I have to admit that I see no feasible way for the Hero's Spirit (or Triforce of Courage, whatever) to exist in the 'failed' timeline unless OoT Link died. Any other kind of abandoning of timelines like the Adult timeline would result in the Hero's Spirit no longer being present, which I believe contradicts the games in that timeline.

(I'm still confused what your point was with Links not being related. Of course they aren't).
There's technically not much stopping them from being descendants of each other. It's possible they could all be, with the exception of the failed timeline.

Although, I don't get your point of the 'hero's spirit'. None of the timelines can really exist in unison since they only exist based on the actions dictated by that singular Link.

If Link decides to return to childhood, then Majora's Mask. If he stays in adulthood, then Wind Waker. If he fails, then it's aLttP.
There isn't much decision though. At the end of OoT Link is sent back to his childhood by Zelda, thus he lives in the Majora's Mask future, and the adult future (where there no longer is a Link) becomes the Windwaker timeline. Finally, at least in my opinion, the third timeline forms in the same way as the Windwaker timeline (Link goes back in time to being a child) Except the major difference is that Ganon is not defeated yet when he goes back, thus it spawns a timeline where the hero is "defeated" and Ganon wins.

That is how I always figured having the three timelines exists simultaneously would work. Ultimately this is all fan theory and only Nintendo can say what truly is right or wrong, but I feel there is at least some plausibility to this theory.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
chadachada123 said:

There's technically not much stopping them from being descendants of each other. It's possible they could all be, with the exception of the failed timeline.

Although, I don't get your point of the 'hero's spirit'. None of the timelines can really exist in unison since they only exist based on the actions dictated by that singular Link.

If Link decides to return to childhood, then Majora's Mask. If he stays in adulthood, then Wind Waker. If he fails, then it's aLttP.
No no no, two of the timelines are very much guaranteed. You have timeline A, where Link warns Zelda, leading to Majora's Mask and eventually Twilight Princess, and timeline B, where Link defeats Ganon as an adult, travels back in time (abandoning timeline B), and leading to the flooding of Hyrule once Ganon/dorf returns. "Time"line C is the only weird one of the group, since that's a hypothetical line and not a guaranteed line like A and B.

In Timeline B, it is made very clear during Wind Waker that Toon Link doesn't initially have the Triforce of Courage, EDIT: since the ToC was split when Adult Link went back to Timeline A. In Wind Waker, there is no destined hero. Toon Link is not a reincarnation of Link.

However, as far as I'm aware, the Links in Line C ARE reincarnations of Link, which wouldn't make sense if Line C was another offshoot that Link had abandoned.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Much of the design and style of this game seems most reminiscent of Skyward Sword, not just the graphical style, but the artistic and design choices, going solely based on that I would presume Breath of the Wild to be right after Skyward Sword, though I admit not having given this a lot of thought yet, this observation solely based on the look of the characters and environments.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I never really followed the LoZ 'time line'.

To me the series was like Final Fantasy.

Each game as similar enemies, characters, themes, etc.

But the stories themselves are largely in their own universes.

Unless it's one of those weird 'head canon' things like FF9 being after FF6 or FF10 as a prequel to FF7.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This thread just blew my mind. I'm not a huge Zelda fan, having only really played and enjoed OoT and WindWaker, and I just kind of figured that it's a series that repeats themes and characters in a never ending cycle sort of like Dark Souls. There will always be a Link and there will always be a Gannon and a Zelda that coexist with him.

Off Topic: I lost my N64 in a house fire. My Wii U may or may not function as I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm getting the itch to play OoT now. Nostalgia wants me to buy a new N64 but I know it's available as digital for the Wii U. Anyone have experience with the digital Nintendo games? I've never bought one before.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
JUMBO PALACE said:
This thread just blew my mind. I'm not a huge Zelda fan, having only really played and enjoed OoT and WindWaker, and I just kind of figured that it's a series that repeats themes and characters in a never ending cycle sort of like Dark Souls. There will always be a Link and there will always be a Gannon and a Zelda that coexist with him.

Off Topic: I lost my N64 in a house fire. My Wii U may or may not function as I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm getting the itch to play OoT now. Nostalgia wants me to buy a new N64 but I know it's available as digital for the Wii U. Anyone have experience with the digital Nintendo games? I've never bought one before.
fuck digital.

physical disc/cartridge Master Race.

that goes for all companies. not just Nintendo. :3