Where is your beloved genre of music heading?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Every single genre of music evolves and diversifies. Rap is not at all what it was in the 80's and 90's. Rock has split into likely over a hundred sub genres and sub sub genres. Jazz has even split. You must have a preference in music genres, where is said genre heading in your eyes?

Good or bad direction? About to split or continue on?

etc. etc. etc.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Mine's been dead since 1991. Kurt Cobain killed classic rock off once and for all.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Symphonic Metal. Gotta love the Orchestra and strings added to them awesome, loud rhythms.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Metal has always been traveling in different directions. I like the direction some of the more mainstream stuff, like Disturbed, is going, but I don't like how some bands are just wailing on guitar like retards without writing a good song. Thankfully these kind of metal bands aren't too popular.

Slayer is as heavy as it should get.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
xXAsherahXx said:
SimuLord said:
Mine's been dead since 1991. Kurt Cobain killed classic rock off once and for all.
You hate Kurt Cobain? Heresy...
Cobain was the first whiny woe-is-me depressive drug monkey to hit widespread mainstream popularity (Morrissey doesn't count, he's always been a niche item.) Music wasn't fun anymore after Nirvana got big.

I've got my radio tuned to two presets: ESPN Radio 630 and KOZZ 105.7, Reno's Classic Rock. I see no reason to change either preset.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
SimuLord said:
xXAsherahXx said:
SimuLord said:
You hate Kurt Cobain? Heresy...
Cobain was the first whiny woe-is-me depressive drug monkey to hit widespread mainstream popularity (Morrissey doesn't count, he's always been a niche item.) Music wasn't fun anymore after Nirvana got big.

I've got my radio tuned to two presets: ESPN Radio 630 and KOZZ 105.7, Reno's Classic Rock. I see no reason to change either preset.
It's unfortunate you think that since he wasn't the woe is me type until later on when he got depressed from people copying him etc. etc. When Bleach and Nevermind came out, he wasn't depressed at all. And he always did drugs before that

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
I don't care what "category" a song belongs to. I only care if I like how it sounds.

For the sake of this topic, however, I will submit "alternative" as two of my favorite bands (apparently) belong to this category. (They Might Be Giants and Dinosaur Jr., if you're interested)

Nadlice

Jun 3, 2009
Ahh. This thread should not die, it's quite nice.

Metal is heading everywhere. Both location and style. Bad metal is getting worse, good metal is getting better. The death of Dio is an obvious sign that the earlier waves are starting to be forgotten by some. I only hope the next generation of is at least influenced by awesome musicians of the past.

On topic, two of my favorite recent metal bands:
Daath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxMcWftEmc
Evile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9wObkGTYM

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
OH MAN I ALMOST CRIED FROM THAT. It truly sucks so much. One of the most metal people on the earth is dead. Fucking terrible

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
SimuLord said:
This.

Well, at least I have alternative music. But hip-hop will probably kill that for me...

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I have no idea, since ever since I started listening to metal I've been listening to earlier and earlier stuff. I don't know where the genres are going now.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
The story is complete. The saga is finished.

I'm curious to see what Coheed and Cambria do from here on out.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I'm a huge punk fan, but unfortunately nowadays "punk" has become "generic pop star who knows three guitar chords and spends two-and-a-half hours styling his hair".

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I miss the warm sound of eighties rock, the good songs from that era. I'm not sure what to say except that music has moved on into other areas. I don't think we'll hear anything new with that same sound again.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
Well Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are both back together now, as is Stone Temple Pilots. Grunge seems to be looking up, though they are all seeming to be going for new sounds (save perhaps Soundgarden, as there is no news on the album that they are totally eventually going to make yet).

neilsaccount

Jun 17, 2009
this is a pretty cool independent artist I enjoy. I don't usually like techno music but this is an exception
and this as well

If you get past the weird intros, I think you guys might like this music, if not no big deal.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Alt Hip Hop is only getting better, Electronica can only move forward and Prog has a breath of new life thanks to Cog, Karnivool and Dead Letter Circus.

The future looks awesome.