Where should I start in teaching a "noob".

Heat149

Mar 12, 2011
Alright, so I'm in a bit of a predicament here. A good friend of mine asked me if I could teach her how to play video games over the summer. My days are never really too cluttered up with work or obligations during summer vacation, so I told her if she got bored, to text me and see if I wasn't busy, and if I weren't occupied, to join me for some gaming. We had our first gaming session yesterday and, well, I've never said it before, and I don't plan to say it, but "noob" sure comes to mind. Hell, she told me she'd never even held a controller with two analog sticks before.

So I covered the basics, all the way down to how to hold the controller and other biases we take for granted (ei; how to button mash "X", keeping your index and middle fingers on L/R 1/2, ect), and now, I'm stuck. I tried throwing some easier games her way, psn titles and the sort, but she never seemed to be able to get the hang of them.

What do you think I should do? where should I start with her? I've got no shortage of games and I'm fully willing to shell out a few dollars on a new game or psn title or dlc or whatever, so suggest something that'd be good for a beginer, and let me know if there's any techniques that I should teach her.

Your help is much appreciated.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
Heat149 said:
Alright, so I'm in a bit of a predicament here. A good friend of mine asked me if I could teach her how to play video games over the summer. My days are never really too cluttered up with work or obligations during summer vacation, so I told her if she got bored, to text me and see if I wasn't busy, and if I weren't occupied, to join me for some gaming. We had our first gaming session yesterday and, well, I've never said it before, and I don't plan to say it, but "noob" sure comes to mind. Hell, she told me she'd never even held a controller with two analog sticks before.

So I covered the basics, all the way down to how to hold the controller and other biases we take for granted (ei; how to button mash "X", keeping your index and middle fingers on L/R 1/2, ect), and now, I'm stuck. I tried throwing some easier games her way, psn titles and the sort, but she never seemed to be able to get the hang of them.

What do you think I should do? where should I start with her? I've got no shortage of games and I'm fully willing to shell out a few dollars on a new game or psn title or dlc or whatever, so suggest something that'd be good for a beginer, and let me know if there's any techniques that I should teach her.

It sounds like you should find her interests and go from there. Have you tried little big planet? thats always a good place to start with the PS3

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
I suggest a simple puzzle game (like Tetris duh) or a simple turn based RPG (Pokemon or Final Fantasy) to first learn how to even really use a controller and to improve their hand-eye coordination.

Then move to harder stuff and whatever game she wants to learn in particular (FPS, Strategy ETC).

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
I'd say play split screen with her, that gives her the chance to learn the ropes without being verbally abused by online gamers

Apr 28, 2008
Prince of Persia. The 2008 version that everyone hated. Probably the best if you want to teach her without using smaller games.

I also suggest what Kingpopadopalus(awesome name) said. Ask what she's interested in, and go from there.

Humble Grapefruit

Jun 17, 2011
Have her start, maybe, with some kind of basic side scroller, to get her used to using at least one analog stick in combination with other buttons. Then do something that might involve using both analog sticks. For instance, a look down shooter or something along the lines of that. The biggest problem with people I've seen just starting is getting used to using both analog sticks at the same time.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pfft. Should start from the begining. Get her a gameboy or N64 and start there. Or a NES emulator.
Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Kirby are some good starting points.

electronicgoat

Feb 20, 2011
Try something either retro or approachable. Try games that are enjoyable, but also make themselves easier for newcomers, like how TF2 has no grenades, class balance, and plenty of noob servers and training maps to practice on.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Ask her what she likes and go from there, introduce her to the game but don't buy her a condescending title.
If she likes FPS don't buy her Pokemon snap. Basically erring on the side of not to easy or childish.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Well, do you want to turn her into a gamer, or just teach her how to play? Mario Kart 64 or any Mario platformer before the 64 would be great. Also, get her on a steady diet of Mountain Dew, hot pockets, popcorn, pizza, and Taco Bell. Take her splitscreening through Halo on easy. Any Halo shooter but ODST works. They key here is to start off with the most mainstream games throughout history. I'd recommend Zelda, but I myself have not played the series that much, so I can't give it the rub.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Go with the lego games if you have any. You can play two-player and it's really easy to get the hang of.

Matt Wood

Apr 29, 2011
a nice platformer would do good, maby try to stick to co-op games where you wouldnt have to ninja the controller every 5 secconds to demonstrate something....so little big planet.
then maby move on so more adventure action, witch *should* transition nicely from platforms, then see where it goes from there...

AGrey

Apr 3, 2010
pick the highest quality, most introductory game in each genre and have her try them out.

Some of the first games I remember playing were Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, and Warcraft

If there's a genre she's naturally attracted to, it will make it that much easier to teach her the controls, and she'll learn the skills that will carry over into other games.

EZola19

May 27, 2011
Maybe Tekken? I could be wrong (and please don't start flaming me on this one), but compared to the other fighters out there (SF, MvC, SC, etc) it's easier to learn, and has more immediate payoff. Play versus matches to give her a chance to get the hang of it. Throw a few matches, but don't just stand around.

That's how I got my Girlfriend to play and she eventually went on to finish campaign mode (which I could never get myself to do).

Maybe PC/facebook games also? I got my gf to play civ after giving her simpler strategy games on FB and on mobile devices.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Heat149 said:

If they're into FPS games then I'd recommend starting with a private match on CoD, either MW2 or BlOps. Basically take them through everything they would nedd to know to play properly.
Here's a list of what I taught my friend on 'Quarry' when he first started console gaming:

1 - Find an area on the map and get them to come to it, shoot into the air to show them where to go. Prior to the lesson, time how long it takes for you to do the trip. See what the difference in time is between you.

2 - Get them to climb a ladder - don't tell them what to do, just tell them to do it. See how long it takes them to work it out.

3 - Hide 'n Seek, hide somewhere and offer a description of it to them. They must now stab you. Try going to a hard to get to area (like the top of the off map crane on Highrise) and seeing how long it takes for them to reach you after they locate you.
1 - Get them to shoot you standing still at long ish range with a mid-cqc weapon. See how accurate they are.

2 - Get them to kill you whilst you run between two set points (i.e. across the mouth of an alley). See how many times you need to run.

3 - Get them to kill you whilst you run arond withing view of them, spraying wildly and using cover well. See how long you last but don't aim at them. The bullets are to see what they do when they hear the characteristic whine of them as they go past.
1 - Get them to run around the map whilst you chase them with a knife to stab them. Repeat until they can last for over 30 seconds. (not on Wasteland, it would be too easy - go for a cluttered map).

2 - Repeat, but you're running. But go easy on them, repeat it until they can get you in <30 secs.

3 - Camping training, they hide, you find them. They must find three different spots to hide in on the map which you deem acceptable. This makes them think about places to camp as you always need to know where the best spots are so you can plan your routes to and fro.

4 - Combat. You Vs Them. But go easy on them.

5 - Combat. You and a friend Vs Them and a friend. They must be in communication with each other as then they will learn teamwork.

6 - All four of you (You, them, friend, friend) go onto matchmaking for the moment of truth. How will they hold up under the pressure of eight year olds calling them 'gay niggers'? If they do reasonably well (say three-four kills to X deaths) then you have done well, they will do well at this game. If thye got one or two kills then they may need some more time. If they have no kills then maybe this isn't their type of game. See if they made mistakes that you can train them in and/or if they want to continue in playing FPSs.

The only other one I can think of that I would know what to do on is an RTS.

First be against them but don't attack them - tell them what to do.

Then attack them lightly but put on some pressure for them to preepmtively attack you beore your next wave arrives. If they do then reward them with giving them an easy time in your base.

Then you and them against AI - similar function to the second training match in FPS - teamwork and fighting for real.

Finally, let them loose on ESO or whatever.

I hope I've been of some help if they want to do FPSs or RTSs, but those are all I can advise on.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
If you're going console, Mario Kart. I've never met anyone that didn't like that game. /cueEscapistMemberX"IHATETHATGAME!

If you're PC I'd go with Plants Vs. Zombies or possibly a free-to-play MMO that you can play together.