Where to Play Mobile Games

Ghostshark

Mar 25, 2013
Hey everyone, I have a question I'd like to ask of the Escapist community: Where do you play mobile games? Specifically, when do you feel it is appropriate to play them?

Myself, I have a 3DS and apps on my phone. However, I find it increasingly hard to justify playing the 3DS unless I am in very specific circumstances.

If I'm standing in line or in an office waiting room, or maybe on a short break at work, I might play some games on my phone. It doesn't take long, and the games are quick and easy to put down once I'm done waiting.

However, for my 3DS, it's hard for me to feel like it's actually time to play it. If I'm at home, I'm generally using a console on a t.v. screen. If I'm away, well, then I often don't have it with me unless I plan to take it. For example, if a long road trip comes up and I know I'll be riding for hours, the 3DS is perfect. But if I'm just going out for the day with friends, it's hard to justify the attention required to play a 3DS game for any extended period.

I've gotten to the point where my 3DS is played at home despite myself having other 'better' options because I fee like I have these great games and I should play them at least a little bit. in other words, I've only ever played Fire Emblem at home.

What do you all think?

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I agree with you completely about the 3DS, except for refering it to a mobile gaming platform. I prefer handheld, but thats just me and besides the point.

It all really depends on how I am feeling at the moment, I will play my DS if i have people over and we are just hanging out watching TV and not really doing anything eventful, or if I am burnt out on my PC. Mobile gaming has been taking a strange twist lately though, I have found myself pausing PC games to play a game or two on my phone for up to around 30 minutes because some of the games released on my phone are actually pretty good in terms of looks, gameplay, and story.

As for short term time consuming phone apps I really enjoy a certain mobage game and play that when I'm waiting for something or work slows down, or I play one of the many puzzle games I own since the levels are short and as you said are easy to put down.

So to basically answer your question in a nutshell I think the DS has some pretty good and engaging games on it that require full attention and aren't really appropriate for waiting in lines or any short spurts of time.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
I never use my phone for games. Whenever I have to kill 5-10 minutes, I just go on facebook or something.

I only really play portable game systems at home, on the couch, with some generic sitcom on netflix as background noise.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I play my Vita at work, when I'm breaking. Also at home, if its the console with the newer(or more interesting) game at the moment. It's also great in between classes or for taking hunting or fishing. Persona 4 was never more enjoyable than when I was up in a treestand last fall.

Ghostshark

Mar 25, 2013
Recently, I found myself playing my 3DS while waiting at the doctor's office while a friend was having an appointment. It lasted about an hour and I got a good ways into the game I was playing (Monster Hunter 3 at the time). And as far as Robetid's comment about referring to the 3DS as a handheld, I completely agree and stand corrected.

I think when I was in school I often had a lot more time between classes and breaks and the handheld was perfect. As an adult with a job and the ability to support most of my gaming addictions, it seems like the handhelds frequently take a backseat. I suppose if I had family or roommates fighting for big screen time, that's a great time for the handhelds.

Basically, I think it comes down to: who are handhelds marketed for? Kids? College Students? Adults with long stretches of tedium at their jobs? Maybe people who travel a lot where they aren't the ones driving? I'm basically thinking, maybe handhelds are a little more of a lifestyle accessory than an everyman luxury. Well, I suppose one could make that argument for home consoles as well.

As much as I would love to squeeze in every spare second of my time playing a handheld, I think sometimes the games on them aren't made to just play for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. Especially with a lot of the old-school RPGs and even new RPGs. Now of course there's always Mario Kart I guess.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I play my Vita at home in bed and don't really feel like getting out, otherwise I use it in waiting rooms when at medical appointments as 20-30 min wait is not uncommon. Its handy when I end up as an inpatient too, I get some funny looks as I set up a little tech store with my notebook and Vita and phone and everything else. I would go stir crazy otherwise, even when in for only a few days.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
The only time I get any significant handheld gaming done is during my summer... I watch a lot of cricket, test matches last most of the day and they don't require constant attention to know what is happening, so I often play handhelds at the same time. If there is no sport then I will just play a console/PC game if I want to get my gaming fix. It means I have a bad habit of 'banking' handheld games when they go on sale and never playing them.

If I'm out I don't usually have a bag so I don't take any handhelds... Which means I'll just play a quick mobile game if I get a spare moment. Often if I get to a university lecture early and I don't have any friends in that particular class I will pull out my phone and play a quick game of something like Angry Birds or Kingdom Rush.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Hardly ever game away from home the only exception is if I am going to be away for weeks or longer then I take my PSP and or DS and usually purchase a new game or two to keep me busy. I havent played on my phone since I got rid of my Nokia 3330 ages ago which I would sometimes play snake on. I have a pretty good phone now got it at christmas but I just dont like playing app style games they feel cheap and disposable I would much rather read a book or listen to some music or almost anything else tbh.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Last year I sold my NDS to one of my best friends on a desperate bid for money, I told myself that I would buy another one as soon as I could, but instead, my dad bought a better phone and sold me his Galaxy S and I think I don't have the need for a dedicated pocket gaming platform anytime soon, I mean, it doesn't have the great games that the NDS has, but they're still pretty fun and I don't mind playing them in short bursts of 5 to 30 minutes, especially considering that I can connect it to my TV and watch Netflix or YouTube with it, heck, I can play my favorite emulators in my TV with a real controller, making it both an excellent pocket gaming platform and a great console of sorts.

I generally play with it at bed when I'm about to sleep, at bed when I wake up, when I'm not in the mood for PC gaming, while waiting for something/someone, or when I'm bored at the office (and no one's watching), I've been pretty much pocket gaming for my entire life, so It's quite easy to find some time for a quick gaming fix when I can ;)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I just don't play "real" handheld games anymore. I've got a smartphone loaded up with games (pro-tip: indie bundles are your friend. There is so much more out there than angry birds.), and I've got it on me at all times. Even then, I think I use the e-reader app more than I use the games, but the games are fun when I've got the time and am in the mood. I figure if I've already got a general purpose computer in my pocket at all times, there's no need to also carry a larger, bulkier device that only does games.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
When i am mobile of course. huehuehue

But really the only thing i play is solitaire on my cellphone on my way to school in the morning or on my way home in the afternoon.

And i was just about to press post when i remembered i also play my old Gameboy Advanced SP with pokemon (what else) on the plane when i am going on holiday.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Usually whilst watching tv or youtube, or whilst watching either of the two in bed before I sleep. Then there are the long journeys, but those are too few to really count.