Where to start in Dr. Who

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Dr. Who and saw an episode where the Doctor went to Pompeii in Latin class and wanted to start watching. However, after looking at the fact that it's been running for 48 years and almost 800 episodes, starting from the beginning doesn't seem like the best option for my time or money. So suggestions on where's the best place to start would be appreciated.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Feste the Jester said:
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Dr. Who and saw an episode where the Doctor went to Pompeii in Latin class and wanted to start watching. However, after looking at the fact that it's been running for 48 years and almost 800 episodes, starting from the beginning doesn't seem like the best option for my time or money. So suggestions on where's the best place to start would be appreciated.
Start from the restart (2005 i think) start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_1%29

I personally didn't like the ninth doctor all the much but he is only in one season, after that is David Tennant the best Doctor ever, followed by Matt Smith, the second best Doctor

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Feste the Jester said:
Start from the restart (2005 i think) start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_1%29

I personally didn't like the ninth doctor all the much but he is only in one season, after that is David Tennant the best Doctor ever, followed by Matt Smith, the second best Doctor
you have it the wrong way around, Smith > Tennant.... and so the doctor war begun :p

But yeah anyone wnating to get into the show start from the restart, anything before that is just for hardcore fans really

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
artanis_neravar said:
Feste the Jester said:

you have it the wrong way around, Smith > Tennant.... and so the doctor war begun :p

But yeah anyone wnating to get into the show start from the restart, anything before that is just for hardcore fans really
Oh I argue with myself about it all the time, Tennant, for me, comes across as more...tough. but not in the big muscular guy kind of tough, more in the don't piss him off or you end up as an immortal scarecrow. Smith is more light hearted and comedic IMHO. I love them both and they are both much better then any other doctor I have seen.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I would recommend watching some of the earlier ones, there are some real gems. However starting from Chris Eccleston should be fine.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I'd recommend starting with the restart of the TV series. Although it broadly respects the canon of the earlier series, and the TV movie, it doesn't matter if you have no knowledge of the show beforehand. There's some references to older stuff, and in-jokes for the viewers, but you don't need to have seen Doctor Who before.

You may or may not like the first series with the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston), but it really got going in the later series with David Tennant.

Personally I'm really enjoying the recent two series with Matt Smith. It's also got a new producer, Steven Moffat, who wrote some of the best episodes of the previous series and really seems to be knocking the arc stuff out of the park, now he's been given full control :)

As for classic Who, I'd suggest having a look at anything you happen to come across. Starting from the beginning isn't an option even if you had the time, as large parts of the show's earlier series simply don't exist any more :(

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
As a fan who has watched what I can find of the 1st and 2nd Doctor episodes and almost the entirety of everything beyond that, I'd make the following recommendations. There's no right or wrong way really, but these are my two cents on possible options on places to start:

1. Check out from the 2005 reboot - Basically, if you'd rather watch the newer episodes (if you don't think you can handle the dubious effects and sometimes questionable acting) this is a good place to start.

2. Series 3 (2007)- this was the first GOOD Tennant Series. All you really missed from Series 2 was that Rose, one of the most unlikable companions in the show's 48 year history, is trapped in another dimension and the Doctor misses her for some reason.

3. Spearhead from Space - Correct me if I'm wrong, but all (or nearly all) of the episodes from this onwards are around. This is the start of the 3rd Doctor's run and if you're interested in the older Seasons, this is a pretty good place to start. Don't worry about characters like the Brigadier who you won't recognise, you'll understand them soon enough. The Autons (Nestenes), despite appearing only twice in the classic series, became an iconic villain, and for good reason

I may however be slightly biased because this is my personal favourite Doctor.

4. Genesis of the Daleks - Nobody can call themselves a true fan until they've seen this one. Arguably one of the best serials ever, and certainly one of the best to feature the daleks, if you don't like this one the classic series probably isn't for you and should maybe try suggestions 1 or 2 before giving up on the show.

This is all I can think of just now.

EDIT: Actually, since people seem to be talking about best Doctors, I don't think there is a best. It depends not only on the actor but how you like their portrayal of the character. Tennant, for example, is a fantastic actor (watch Single Father if you don't believe me), but frankly, I thought much of his run was pretty poor and he didn't really feel like the Doctor to me so much.

Personally I'd rank them thusly:
1. John Pertwee (3rd)
2. Tom Baker (4th)
3. Matt Smith (11th)
4. Peter Davison (5th)
5. Christopher Eccleston (9th)
6. Patrick Troughton (2nd)
7. David Tennant (10th)
8. Sylvester McCoy (7th)
9. Colin Baker (6th)
10. William Hartnell (1st)

(Oh noes! I didn't put Colin last :O! But seriously, listen to the Big Finish Doctor Who Audios. He's FANTASTIC in them!)

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
To quote Neil Gaiman:
"People can be intimidated because they think there?s 47 years of stuff they need to see before they can enjoy anything. But what you want to say is, ?No, look, there is a blue box. It?s bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It can go anywhere in time and space, sometimes even where it?s meant to go. When it turns up, there?s a bloke in it called The Doctor, and there will be stuff wrong and he will do his best to sort it out. He?ll probably succeed because he?s awesome. Now, sit down, shut up, and watch Blink."

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Amarok said:
To quote Neil Gaiman:
"People can be intimidated because they think there?s 47 years of stuff they need to see before they can enjoy anything. But what you want to say is, ?No, look, there is a blue box. It?s bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It can go anywhere in time and space, sometimes even where it?s meant to go. When it turns up, there?s a bloke in it called The Doctor, and there will be stuff wrong and he will do his best to sort it out. He?ll probably succeed because he?s awesome. Now, sit down, shut up, and watch Blink."
Words of wisdom.

I prefer Tom Baker but that was back in the days when film still had that weirdly colored Crayola look. The reboot is a fine place to start.

Doctor Who is, with few exceptions, episodic rather than serial. That means you can pick it up at any point and have a decent idea what's going on. The real question is the level of special effects cheesiness you can tolerate.