Where's the love for FFIX?

enersha

Apr 8, 2010
I feel like I'm the only one in the whole wide world who loves FFIX more than the others? It has (barely) tolerable graphics today, the original black mage and an amazingly nostalgic storyline. Where's the love???

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love IX more than the others. Especially the mini-games like the world-wide Chocobo Hot n' Cold. It would be my all-time favorite but Mystic Quest has the best music, IV has better recurring characters and, VIII has the all-powerful Junction system, which makes someone like Selphie able to kick Galactus' ass (theoretically)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
enersha said:
I feel like I'm the only one in the whole wide world who loves FFIX more than the others? It has (barely) tolerable graphics today, the original black mage and an amazingly nostalgic storyline. Where's the love???
Not too much love coming from me. I found the combat to be absolute trash in 9. Slow as hell, and with that stupid Trance bullshit.

Yes. I play RPGs for the combat. Yes. I'm "doing it wrong".

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
No_Remainders said:
enersha said:
the original black mage
Wasn't there a black mage in your party in FF1/2?

I'm pretty sure there was...
Yeh, there was. Vivi, I guess, was the first one that was really named.

enersha said:
But you are right, FFIX has a lot less love than VII. I personally believe IX beats the hell out of VII.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
Have you never read forums about final fantasy?

In every single ff thread the majority of fans says final fantasy 9 is the best one, and most underrated, since the playstation era. As far as i can tell(this being only ps1+ not nes) people favorites in general go in order of 9,7,8/10,12,13.

Personally i couldn't get into 9. I have tried so many times yet as soon as i get freya i lose complete interest :p

Now that i think about I need to finally really play and finish 9!!! Ima get on that :D

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Square-Enix Business Model:

Exhaustive, Detailed analysis of the best motion to both turn a higher profit and achieve the highest possible customer satisfaction rate.

Then do the opposite.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
It may well be my favourite. It is very well liked, overall, and considered one of the better ones. It's probably just the fans don't go on about it much like many people do with VII, for whatever reason.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
You're never the only one when it comes to liking something over other things.

As for me, I've played FFIX last year right after FFVII and fell in love with it. It had a great story, fantastic characters, very fun gameplay, and graphics that aged very well in my opinion. It was pretty much a surprise hit for me. And it is now one of my top ten most favorite games of all time.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
FFIX is very memorable for me. I loved the setting, the characters and especially the music (used to go to Treno just for the music).

Also I found Ozma to be the best hidden boss of the series, really had a sense of achievement when he/it died.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
No, 9 is brilliant. The only aspect I don't like is the trance system. It just goes off in the least opportune moments like when you have to use items / heal or as the battle is about to end.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Here's the love! Right here! Can you see it? I wish you could!
It has the greatest (large) cast of characters I've ever seen in a video game.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Mackheath said:
Uhh...most people on these forums think 9 was the best/most underrated.

I am one of those people, and am finishing my 8th playthrough.
Ditto. Minus the 8th playthrough (The last FF I beat was 7, I plan on going through 8 again, then will do 9 again in the future.)

As others have said, it was a surprising hit for myself. I was pretty put off by the art style and characters, at first. But being the jaded FF fan I am, who is doomed to play every FF installment from now until the end of time, I gave it a shot.

The one complaint I have with the game is that it's kinda slow to start. (FF8 has this same problem.) I think every FF game has that moment when "shit gets serious" and it takes awhile for that moment to hit in both 8 and 9.

But the game picks up very well, the characters develop nicely, I find myself getting a good chuckle at the humor and Zidane's and Steiner's whole Lupin/Zenigata relationship. and it just struck a chord with me when the game continues onward. I really began to love everything about it later on (Except the Trance system. Fuck the trance system.)

Definitely my favorite in the PS1 era. I think lots of people agree that it is pretty underrated. Compared to that other FF title in the PS1 era.

Wherethefuckiswally

Aug 3, 2011
Best one of all, easy. Best music, best characters inc. NPC's (except Freya), best storyline (although the Genomes thing was a little difficult to follow) and its what FF is all about, being able to completly explore towns and massive cities. Tell me honestly you didn't get a bit excited everytime you went into Lindblum, even after it had been destroyed. Something Enix managed to COMPLETLY miss out in 13.

Silent_Protagonist

Jul 6, 2011
Final Fantasy IX is my second favourite Final Fantasy! :D There is plenty of love for it, you just havnt found it yet :p

Oh, and Vivi wasnt the original Black Mage, there have been Black Mages since the first game, and if you argue the first black mage with a story line (not just a character type) well the first one is technically Palom from Final Fantasy IV.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
No_Remainders said:
enersha said:
the original black mage
Wasn't there a black mage in your party in FF1/2?

I'm pretty sure there was...
I think he might have meant it used a black mage that was basically the same dude as the one from FF1.

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
I thought FFIX as a whole was rather bland and not terribly memorable. It's far from the worst of the series, though. That's reserved for 8 and 13.