Which comic book would *you* make into a movie?

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
I'm going to go against the grain and say... Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. Make the Moive. And treat it exactly the way SBahHJ should be treated.

It will be gloriously shitty.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Queen Michael said:
One word: Batman.

One that doesn't feel like a crime/thriller movie that has Batman in it.
One that isn't ridiculously campy.
One that lets the Joker's past remain enigmatic while still making sure that he resembles the comic book version. And doesn't think that the Penguin ought to live in the sewers.
That's what I want.

(Sure, I love the Burton movies and the Nolan ones too. But I'd like a movie that takes the characters from the comics and puts them on the big screen. That's all I'm asking for.)

Director? I don't know.
My answer is pretty much this too.

I'd love to do what Marvel did with the Avengers but with the Batman mythos. For exampe the threes films I would love to make more than anything (I already have pretty solid ideas for plots/casts/re-jigged origin stories) are a Harley Quinn film, a Batwoman/Kate Kane film (where Renee's Question would probably show up) and a Catwoman movie. Batman would sort of be a cameo character that would just be in the background of all of these while the world building happened and then bam, big team-up movie.

I'd also love to do a live-action version of 'Mask of the Phantasm'. That film is damn near perfect but it's just too short. I wouldn't want to just re-do it shot-for-shot though, really the only I'd take wholesale from it would be Andrea herself, the plot would be a bit different.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Bone would be my first. Although, The Aquabats would make a lovely movie.

<youtube=vLJJMBa0s6o>

Frontastic said:
I'd love to do what Marvel did with the Avengers but with the Batman mythos. For exampe the threes films I would love to make more than anything (I already have pretty solid ideas for plots/casts/re-jigged origin stories) are a Harley Quinn film, a Batwoman/Kate Kane film (where Renee's Question would probably show up) and a Catwoman movie. Batman would sort of be a cameo character that would just be in the background of all of these while the world building happened and then bam, big team-up movie.
So, Gotham City Sirens without Poison Ivy? 'Cause Ivy/Harley is canon, ya know...

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Shrapnel would make a pretty cool movie, its about an earth invasion on venus, which has been colonised. its got power armor and good female protagonist.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Frontastic said:
So, Gotham City Sirens without Poison Ivy? 'Cause Ivy/Harley is canon, ya know...
I wouldn't go the Sirens route (I really need to read that comic, you just reminded me :p). I'd sort of like to keep all those films quite seperate aside from small Nick Fury-esque scenes here and there. Also they were just main the three, I'd love to see a Nightwing movie, maybe a Red Robin one etc. Altough if I was going to go any route in a Sirens-esque way, I'd go Birds of Prey and do it right unlike that bizarre live-action TV show they made. That was such a strange show though I did like how they did Harley.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I would love a Blue Beetle trilogy, chronicling the adventures of Dan Garret, Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes. Having Jaimes movie finish off with the Endgame storyline would be a great finisher.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
FirstToStrike said:
Transmetropolitan. I'm not sure who would play the role of Spider (I just don't see Patrick Stewart doing it.), but in the right hands it would make an absolutely kick-ass movie.
Transmetro...I don't think you could even get close to capturing what made it good onscreen. Part of what made it so great was that it was...well, written about writing. Awesome thought, but I doubt it would work.
Spot1990 said:
Hellblazer. I can't believe no one has ever tried to make a movie about Constanine (Shut up they haven't, they just made a movie called Constantine).

Michael Sheen in the lead. I know it's an odd choice but look

Just die his hair blonde. After Tron I'm pretty sure he can do anything.

With Sam Raimi directing it. I think he'd be able to get the balance between darkness and Constantine's humour right.

No origin story either. There's too much there. Just give him a job to do, his past can be revealed throughout. I don't get why comic book movies always need to be an origin story.
Holy crap that would rule. The horrible original movie already did Dangerous Habits (kinda) so you could lead on from there and do Rake at the Gates of Hell.

It wouldn't be easy, but it would rock if they could pull it off.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
Shadowman? Ok, I never actually read the comics, but I vaguely remember the N64 game.... something about serial killers and travelling back and forth between hell and earth. Seems kinda cool.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Frontastic said:
saintdane05 said:
Frontastic said:
I wouldn't go the Sirens route (I really need to read that comic, you just reminded me :p). I'd sort of like to keep all those films quite seperate aside from small Nick Fury-esque scenes here and there. Also they were just main the three, I'd love to see a Nightwing movie, maybe a Red Robin one etc. Altough if I was going to go any route in a Sirens-esque way, I'd go Birds of Prey and do it right unlike that bizarre live-action TV show they made. That was such a strange show though I did like how they did Harley.
Seconded for a Birds of Prey movie (though I kinda liked that show).

Also, would like to see Cassandra Cain Batgirl, or maybe Kate Kane Batwoman.

Actually, more superhero movies which aren't about the same straight white guy character, especially if it's about him whining about people thinking he's a terrible wanker because he's a terrible wanker.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Never really enjoyed BOP or Sirens. Cassandra is about the only character who could possibly carry her own movie. Meanwhile Huntress would likely put me to sleep.

Durzo_Blint

Apr 7, 2011
If I was Marvel I'd like to do a Daredevil, Punisher and Heroes for Hire movie each as part of a Marvel Knights franchise, then do an Avengers style crossover movie where the four heroes team up to take down the Kingpin

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Hellblazer. I can't believe no one has ever tried to make a movie about Constanine (Shut up they haven't, they just made a movie called Constantine).

Michael Sheen in the lead. I know it's an odd choice but look

Just die his hair blonde. After Tron I'm pretty sure he can do anything.

With Sam Raimi directing it. I think he'd be able to get the balance between darkness and Constantine's humour right.

No origin story either. There's too much there. Just give him a job to do, his past can be revealed throughout. I don't get why comic book movies always need to be an origin story.
Take my money and make it happen, you wonderful bastard you.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Seconded for a Birds of Prey movie (though I kinda liked that show).

Also, would like to see Cassandra Cain Batgirl, or maybe Kate Kane Batwoman.

Actually, more superhero movies which aren't about the same straight white guy character, especially if it's about him whining about people thinking he's a terrible wanker because he's a terrible wanker.
It was a decent show but it just lacked the courage the stick to it's guns. It was trying very hard not to come across as too much of a Batman thing (oh how times change) while still shouting, "look Batman fans! We have Oracle! And Huntress (kind of)!". Also I will give them all the props in the world for having a main character who was wheelchair bound but then they had to pussy out at the last minute and give her back the use of her legs (because science!) so she can cat-fight Harley Quinn. Fun fact, they were planning a Gotham Cetral tv show but BoP flopped so hard no network would risk it. *sigh*

But I agree, more female superhero movies. Just as long as they don't make every one of them a damaged woman who needs to find a man.
Also I have strong urge to watch a movie just called "Terrible Wanker" now, the poster of which would be RDJ just looking like his smug, magnificent bastard self.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Frontastic said:
It was a decent show but it just lacked the courage the stick to it's guns. It was trying very hard not to come across as too much of a Batman thing (oh how times change) while still shouting, "look Batman fans! We have Oracle! And Huntress (kind of)!". Also I will give them all the props in the world for having a main character who was wheelchair bound but then they had to pussy out at the last minute and give her back the use of her legs (because science!) so she can cat-fight Harley Quinn.
Yeah, no arguments there. Though, it seems everyone in a wheelchair will get some sciency thing to make them better, cause people in wheelchairs aren't hero-ey enough or somesuch. Logan from Dark Angel, I'm looking at you.

Still...I remember watching it and Mutant X at about the same time, and Mutant X doesn't hold up like BoP does.

Frontastic said:
But I agree, more female superhero movies. Just as long as they don't make every one of them a damaged woman who needs to find a man.
Argh, yeah, it'll end up that way.

Frontastic said:
Also I have strong urge to watch a movie just called "Terrible Wanker" now, the poster of which would be RDJ just looking like his smug, magnificent bastard self.
Nah, it'll be Ryan Reynolds trying to be funny, fucking everything up "hilariously" but still getting away with it all, because the writers think it'll appeal to 12 year olds.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
No-one has said Johnny the Homicidal Maniac yet?

So, JTHM, directed by Robert Rodriguez. No idea who you'd get to star in it though... Johnny Depp, five years ago?

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Yeah, no arguments there. Though, it seems everyone in a wheelchair will get some sciency thing to make them better, cause people in wheelchairs aren't hero-ey enough or somesuch. Logan from Dark Angel, I'm looking at you.

Still...I remember watching it and Mutant X at about the same time, and Mutant X doesn't hold up like BoP does.
I must give it a rewatch and see. I just recall that Tatu song playing over the final fight. That's just burned into my brain as how dated the show will likely look now.

This is true but it would just be nice for someone to have the balls to write a character like that where their character isn't built around the disability.

But that's why they should make a Kate Kane movie because being damaged is her whole character. Except it's never about redepmtion, it's learning to live with the fact that things go wrong and you might just never be able to get over it. Which is surprisingly mature a view for comics. (And why she's my favourite current character in DC) Plus, finding a man wouldn't be of much use to her. Although a lesbian main character in what would likely be a PG-13 is it's own can of worms.

thaluikhain said:
Nah, it'll be Ryan Reynolds trying to be funny, fucking everything up "hilariously" but still getting away with it all, because the writers think it'll appeal to 12 year olds.
Despite having still not seen it, I'm sensing that was directed toward Green Lantern. Is it really like that? Urgh.