Which Dev Would You Follow Into Hell?

epidemia

Nov 24, 2012
Valve, they are my favorite game developer for many reasons the least of which not being the impeccable quality of their games.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I would not follow any dev into hell. The road to hell was paved with good intentions. They get my money when they *do* something worthwhile.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Well, Valve, of course. While I don't really love the L4D games as much as everything else they do, I still like them, and Valve has never released a bad game in my eyes. In fact, Half-Life 2 is my favorite game of all time, and Portal 2 is in the top five.

Eldrig

Apr 25, 2011
Both Bethesda and Paradox. Neither of them has let me down, and both have consistantly produced the virtual crack I can't get enough of.

Stampede

Nov 26, 2012
Sadly, despite Fappy's good intentions, the more I think about it, the more I notice the devs that I w o u l d have followed... So many of them on top of countless memories... Shame *tear*. But:

Valve. Valve is the company that has not, to this day, disappointed me. I started playing the original, no mods, no expansions, garden-variety classic Half Life when I was 6. Then the expansions, then Counter-Strike and the first TF. I grew up with Valve and when I was all grown up they gave me Steam to spend my cash and Portal to remind me that I am, in fact, still a kid somewhere in there. Say that planets collide, cosmic events of titanic proportions unfold and Half Life 3 doesn't come out... ever, I'd still follow Valve into hell!

Bethesda. For being flawed and recognizing that, making the later-to-be ground shattering decision to release the G.E.C.K and stand behind a modding community firmly. Good on you, Beth!

THQ/Relic. Being a Warhammer 40K fan I want to see them rise and succeed. The strategy games were great and Space Marine has so much potential it really breaks my heart. I still play SM at that tiny, hardcore competitive stage and the people from the few clans that are left have one thing in common - those long, drawn out conversations about how the game could have been great and actually provided a massive multiplayer audience with hundreds of hours of epicness and fun.

Lastly, BioWare. Yeah, I'd still follow them. I want to see them either rise from the depths of the consumer eye to which they've sunk or watch them burn with a sadness in my eyes... Either way, I still hold that tiny hope that all those awesome moments they provided in the past count for something and are worth the loyalty.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Actually, the only one I can think of is Sucker Punch. All 3 of the Sly Cooper games are fucking brilliant(Honestly the best games I've played this year), and both Infamous games are fantastic, especially the second one. (Infamous 2 stands as the only game to provoke manly tears from me) Naughty Dog is a close second, but Uncharted 3 had a few glaring flaws that I can't quite ignore.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
There are a couple of developers who I'd march with into the depths of hell. I don't think I could limit it to just one though.

1) Square-Enix. You know that ex-girlfriend/boyfriend who you broke up with years ago, yet you never really got over? The one who, if they just phoned you up and asked, you'd go running back to in a second? That's kind of like what Squaresoft is to me. Officially, we broke up after the PS1 era. But goddamn, I still love them, and I'd still run into hell after them if I thought it would bring us back together. For all that people shit on them, they're not the evil, soul-destroying company everyone makes them out to be. They still pick up and finance more original IPs than the likes of EA or Activision, and they still develop absolute gems like Kingdom Hearts and TWEWY. There's a good company still at the heart of Squenix, it's just been covered up by excess and bloat.

Hang in there baby. We'll be back together soon...
This, apparently this man and I have had the same relationship with SE that I have had... and SE told me I was their number one... >n<

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Obsidian:
First game of thiers I played was Alpha Protocol. I loved it. It had a great story and good gameplay. That is pretty much what I usually get from these guys. One of my favorite things in games is a story and Obsidian always deliveres grat ones. KotOR 2 was amazing even without the restored content mod. I absolutely loved Fallout New Vegas, I placed 300+ hours on the vanilla pc version and 69 hours on pc. I find that they improve every series they work on(can't say anything about dungeon seige though. I need a gamepad to stand the gameplay that and I don't have one, nor have I played the rest of the series.).

There was once a time when I would follow Bioware into hell but the DA2 came out and they started going downhill.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Probably CD Projekt RED. I've been playing the first Witcher back in '07 or '08, when it first came out so I guess I have the years part down. But they've only released 2 games, so it'd probably be hard to actually be let down, but fuck it. I'm sticking with them. An obvious reason: both Witcher games have been brilliant and are among my all-time favourites. For a more personal reason? They seem completely worthy of respect for their methods and passion. They don't seem to conform to the trends of the time and just make what they're passionate about without thinking of bullshit like $10.00 DLC packs or crap like that. They patch and enhance their games thoroughly free of charge and seem genuinely appreciative of their fans and the support they give. To me, they're the kind of company you can have honest respect for, expect a top quality product and not get fucked around.

I would have considered Piranha Bytes for this, but the whole DLC thing for Risen 2 has turned me right off there. Really didn't think they'd be a company to do that shit. Oh well.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Bioware. The only problem I've had with any of their games is the gameplay style in Dragon Age. That's it. Mass Effect is one of the best space opera ever, and while the ending for ME3 wasn't that fantastic, the Extended Cut was awesome, and the rest of the game (Some fourty hours) made up for the last half an hour some eighty times.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Ziodyne64 said:
Team ICO. I know they've only technically made two games, but I'd follow them into the fire if that's what they had to do to get The Last Guardian prominent again.
And I shall join you.

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are among my most favorite games.