Which franchise deserve a reboot/overdue sequel?

Jimmy Donnellan

Feb 13, 2015
Did this article (http://culturedvultures.com/5-gaming-reboots-we-need-to-see) ages ago and thought it make for a decent discussion here.

Which forgotten franchise deserves a second chance?

My choices:

Timesplitters
Conker
Legacy of Kain
Jet Set Radio
Crash Bandicoot

Let me know if you have any to add.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Crash Bandicoot
A Spyro the Dragon game that is not Skylanders

Those are the only two I can think of right now.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Darkstalkers - a fourth entry needs to happen the third game in particular is wonderful but its also very very old and it was never marketed well especially over here in the UK. Also they have the FFVII problem people want a remake Capcom not the same game released again for the umpth time.

CVS - easy sell unlikely to ever happen though because of apparent bad blood between the companies.

Soul Calibur - take it back to the originals solid framework while incorporating the gradual improvement of the fighting system seen in 5 and improve the player customisation further and have a decent goddamn cast and single player mode this time. Also expunge all records of Lost Swords from existance the games an absolute horrible piece of software.

Legacy of kain - would love a reboot Blood Omen is by far my favourite in the series and would love to see that rebooted.

Dissidia - But fingers crossed that the arcade reboot/sequel/whatever will end up being awesome and be released for consoles at some point.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Half Life

Star Wars: Republic Commando: One of my favorite shooters ever and could easily transition into the days of the Empire.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
A numbered Suikoden game. As in, Suikoden VI. It has been an entire console generation now since the last game. That's a fail right there, Konami. There are still plenty of lore and rich stories left in that world. Come on already.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I'd like to see a sequel to Rise of the Kusai. Mark of Kri was really great and while Rise definitely had it's issues I still really enjoyed it and would love to see more of the art style and game play.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Sequel

-Oni (One of the best hand-to-hand fighting systems, although blocking could use some tweaking)

-Legacy of Kain (Make the gameplay actually good. Tried playing Defiance(PC), dear god. There are still things that need to be resolved)

-Kotor 3 (with interesting characters like Kreia, and an interesting look at the universe like in Kotor 2)

-Ninja Gaiden Black (Need another action game with comparable gameplay)

Reboot

-Gunstar Heroes (make it like Vanquish, where speed/agility is important)

-Light Crusader (Honestly, just remake this but add some more content. Keep the perspective!)

-Drakan (The Ancients Gates was a gem on the PS2)

-Street Fighter (Bring it back to the SSF2T days, where footsies were ultra important, and there wasn't a bunch of extraneous things like counters and EX and ultra combos and guardbreak meters, etc.)
Hype match

Unspoken_Request

Jul 11, 2013
It is not a franchise, but I would really like to play a rebooted Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

I am not a sucker for great graphics (I often replay Baldur's Gate or early FF games), but even at the time, this game looked pretty bad. And I cannot say that it has aged very well. Probably too much browns. Also the UI was atrocious,

Still, I always liked the world and the story.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Unkillable Cat said:
Freespace. It badly needs to have at least another 2-3 games to finish the war for better or worse.
Yes... my thoughts exactly.

Freespace 3 needs to happen. It never will, but it needs to...

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Does it count as a 'franchise' if there was only one game? Because I'd nominate "Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy" as definitely needing a sequel. In addition to the fact that the game was freakin' awesome, and had the best use of psychic powers I've ever seen, the ending left it wide open for a sequel. Please someone, make that one happen.

I'd also nominate Prototype for a remake. The original with greatly improved graphics, the additional abilities and better combat of the sequel, better side-missions, and a more interactive world environment would just be awesome.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
E.V.O - The Search For Eden:
You MUST play this overlooked game from the SNES Era of gaming.

It's...it's just amazing.

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
legend of dragoon. loved that game and its sad that it just vanished. Wouldnt mind seeing a new star ocean and grandia game too. Oh and wild arms, fucking loved that series. suikoden as well. a new shadow hearts would be interesting.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I should think Half-Life is the King, Queen and Steward of Overdue Sequels.
With Psychonauts as the visiting prince come to woo their eldest heir.