Which game has the best reload system?

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
Seems like I remember a game in which the PC bangs the clip on his helmet first before loading it in his gun. The game's name escapes me at the moment, but I remember thinking what a neat touch of realism that was.

I also liked the reload in Star Wars Republic Commando. Its one of the very few Star Wars games in which you really feel like you have to pay attention to how much ammo you have. The animations and sound effects of the reload are cool too. They make the gun sound like its pretty powerful.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Kuroma said:
House of the Dead 3. Shake the uzi, keep on killin'.

Not that anyone goes to arcades anymore.
Isn't that House of the Dead 4? House of the Dead 3 had a shotgun you pumped to reload.

Apart from those, I'd go with Deus Ex. The sounds were all very clicky and mechanical, and you could reload even if you had no need to, which satisfies my obsessive compulsive side very well.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I like the ones in Fallout 3.
I do like how they occasionally seem to jam a little and the dude/dudette has to bash them to get them to work.

My favourite reload system? Half life 2. F9 motherfuckers.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I'd have to agree with some of the other people on here and say Gears of War, although I like how the Condemned series handles ammo.

DarthNader26

Aug 20, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
My favourite reload system? Half life 2. F9 motherfuckers.
I loved the .357 animation. Tilting the gun back to dump the empty shells then popping the speed-loader in.

I'm a paranoid reloader. I'm the guy in Left4Dead hitting the reload key every time the screen is zombie-free. As such, I hate reload systems that force you to dump an entire clip no matter how much ammo you have in it.

The Gears system was fun and intuitive (I didn't really like the rest of the game), but I can't really say I have a favorite. Valve's animations are always nice, but then again, anything from Valve is nice...

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Depends what you mean, animation wise, I like Black, where the background blurs out for a sec while you're focusing on the gun.
Other than that, I like the instant reload method of double clicking R2 on MGS2. I don't need realism when I'm killing things.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Painkiller, Team Fortress 2, and any shooter that was around before reloading was first introduced.

Your gun holds 300 bullets. Shoot till everything is dead, and then shoot everything that's dead.

Food

Aug 16, 2008
Gears of Awesome. The active reoload thing was smooth as hell and gave the game a touch of the arcade, as well as actually involving skill (not much, but it's not Hit R to Reload). Plus the animations were cool when you span around the shotgun.

Also TimeSplitters, yes. You can reload two shotguns at once in about a second. You can also fire a twelve-guage in mid reload instantly, sweet.

The bullet in the chamber thing...Rainbow Six has done that, and honestly, it's one bullet, it doesn't make much of a differance. Plus Rainbow Six had stupidly long reloads anyway.

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
Ghost Recon. Sure, it didn't even have visible animations for it, but you had your ten magazines, or whatever. If it's empty it's gone, otherwise you keep it, and it doesn't fill up. Shoot out everything but three bullets in ever magazine and you've got some problems ahead of you but it felt nice, damn it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Neosage said:
urprobablyright said:
time splitters

simple - goes down, you hear a click, comes back up loaded. That's all you need.

That's -all- you need.
You can reload while duel-wielding shotguns in that game...it was so badass
Realism? We don't need no stinking REALISM! Time to split!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
TheTemby said:
and for me the best reload ANIMATION is Left 4 Dead
You can reload while you melee attack in Left 4 Dead. Am I the only one who has noticed this? It makes no sense.

Iori Branford

Jan 4, 2008
I wish you could keep hitting Reload to do it faster, like recovering in a fighting or boxing game. I don't know why no game does this.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Iori Branford said:
I wish you could keep hitting Reload to do it faster, like recovering in a fighting or boxing game. I don't know why no game does this.
How about you have that system, but if you press it too fast the gun jams (or whatever) as your feverish attempts at reloading mess it up? Okay, so that might spoil your original idea somewhat, but there has to be some penalty for not being careful.