Which game should I get?

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
So, it's summer and not many new games are coming out this summer, so I am planning on buying a slightly older one that I never got around to playing. I can't decide so I am asking you guys. I didn't make this a poll because people will probably vote and move on, and I want reasons why X game is good. I can't decide whether I want to get Left 4 Dead 2 or Gears of War 3. L4D2 because I liked the original left 4 dead and it had a lot of replay value, and GOW3 because I want to see where the story goes and Horde and beast mode looks pretty awesome.

I am a console player if that helps and I don't really like GOW competitive multiplayer if that's a deal breaker. I am also looking for the cheapest game possible and right now L4D2 looks like I get the best bang for my buck.

TL;DR: I can't decide whether I should get Gears of War 3 or Left 4 Dead 2, and please state your reasons X game is better, it helps with my decision making.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I would go with L4D2.

I played all three Gears and just got bored with 3 (never even finished it). GoW3 introduces a bunch of new enemies (what the fuck are these plant things? Why do half the enemies glow in the dark?) that evidently everyone knows about but don't explain what the hell they are or where they come from. They also introduce a bunch of new characters ("Hey Marcus, it's me, cowboy hat man! Remember all those wacky adventures we had? Boy, I'm glad we have such a great relationship and you should be worried when I'm in danger!") that Marcus and company all know and love but don't explain...anything about them at all. I'm supposed to care about these people because the game tells me I'm supposed to care about them, which isn't a terribly good reason.

L4D2 introduces few updates but what it does introduce vastly changes the strategy of the game. No more hiding in a corner with everyone because a spitter is going to break up that party (or kill you all). Silly human separates from the group? Get a jockey on him and don't give him the chance to run back, then ambush the others when they come to help! There really isn't that big of a difference between 1 and 2 but it's going to be cheap enough at this point that you might as well go for the upgrade.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
hmmm, tough choice. I guess i'd have to say left 4 dead 2 though, its basically like the first but better in every way. The new infected pretty much fixes the issues the first had in versus (being able to easily hide in a corner and become untouchable.) As well as the scoring system being re-done to be a lot more fair. (it now gives you points depending on how far you get, rather than getting lots of points for finishing the level or not many at all.)

You actually cared about the gears plot? haha :p

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
daveman247 said:
hmmm, tough choice. I guess i'd have to say left 4 dead 2 though, its basically like the first but better in every way. The new infected pretty much fixes the issues the first had in versus (being able to easily hide in a corner and become untouchable.) As well as the scoring system being re-done to be a lot more fair. (it now gives you points depending on how far you get, rather than getting lots of points for finishing the level or not many at all.)

You actually cared about the gears plot? haha :p

Thanks for the input about versus.

I didn't really care about the plot. I just wanted to see how the game ended.