Which goal should i focus on?

Austin Merida

Aug 2, 2011
Currently, my main goal in life is either to make art or to become a practitioner of parkour. Right now, i have little skill in either activity. I am fairly lazy, and have the body that comes with spending all of my freetime playing video games. I also haven't practiced any artistic skills for about a year. I want to know what the escapist community thinks i should focus on. I'm not necessarily looking for others to make my life choices for me, but i would like to get different perspectives on this.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I'm gonna suggest you get some different goals, as both of those things are silly. BUT! If you are hell bent on one of those two things I would suggest parkour as it would be alot easier and alot less expensive than art school and supplies.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
If you want to make it as an artist without going completely insane because of the really unstable conditions, then you need passion, which is something I'm not really getting from your post, like at all.

Why do you want to become these things seeing as you seem rather uninterested in doing the required work?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Parkour will only ever be a hobby, albeit quite a cool one.

Art requires passion and dedication. Are you passionate and dedicated?

I suspect what you really mean is "I wish I was the kind of person who was great at art and fit enough to do parkour", in which case you'll need to make some lifestyle changes. The first of these lifestyle changes may well be to throw your console out of the window or to permanently delete your WoW account.

Austin Merida

Aug 2, 2011
I understand that either will require dedication and passion and a lot of hard work. I know that I will have to make significant lifestyle changes (though I don't play WoW or other MMORPGs that often), and I am prepared for that. I admit that I am rather lazy as it is, but I am trying to change that about myself. I just recently realized that I will never really like myself if I keep doing the things I do, so I decided to do something about it. I know that I didn't really convey much passion in my post, and that these goals are kind of silly, but I would honestly be okay working as a mcdonalds janitor if i could do either of these things. I have to go to college right now, but I will try to elaborate on why I chose these two goals when i get back.

Thanks for the feedback, internet!

Johndo

Mar 22, 2012
Do art now. Do it now. You want to do parkour? Do it now.

Stop asking. Stop questioning. The moment you start reading this post when you have the immediate time start doing it. Passion is when you just do it.

After you draw or parkour, than comeback here and post again.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Austin Merida said:
Currently, my main goal in life is either to make art or to become a practitioner of parkour. Right now, i have little skill in either activity. I am fairly lazy, and have the body that comes with spending all of my freetime playing video games.
I would suggest going to the gym to work on parkour (if you're new to it DON'T attempt to scale a large structure.) this will make you more healthy which will give you more energy to do the things you want to do.

Video games are fun but they are terrible for motivation.

Austin Merida

Aug 2, 2011
Limecake said:
Austin Merida said:
Currently, my main goal in life is either to make art or to become a practitioner of parkour. Right now, i have little skill in either activity. I am fairly lazy, and have the body that comes with spending all of my freetime playing video games.
I would suggest going to the gym to work on parkour (if you're new to it DON'T attempt to scale a large structure.) this will make you more healthy which will give you more energy to do the things you want to do.

Video games are fun but they are terrible for motivation.
Yeah, I've researched this, and looked at some other forums to find out exactly how to do it. My first steps would be to start a simple exercise routine, and then start practicing landings (how to roll, etc) before doing anything difficult.

I have concluded a few things today:
1. Don't try to make important life decisions late at night or early in the morning
2. Even though it probably won't remain my entire focus in life, I will focus of parkour - after getting to the required fitness level.

Johndo said:
Do art now. Do it now. You want to do parkour? Do it now.

Stop asking. Stop questioning. The moment you start reading this post when you have the immediate time start doing it. Passion is when you just do it.

After you draw or parkour, than comeback here and post again.
I start going to the gym monday!

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Batou667 said:
Parkour will only ever be a hobby, albeit quite a cool one.
Ah ha! on the contrary! several of my friends are Parkour/Freerunning practitioners and actually make a fine paycheck performing for several events such as weddings!