Which is scarier! Seeing or hearing?

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Hearing. If I can see it at least I will know what is attacking me and maybe try to do something. If I cant, then well good game for me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think hearing is much scarier because you're imagination can be much more frightening than actually seeing something. If you just see it then you know what the horror is, but if you just hear it, you have no idea what's around the corner or what's in the dark.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
sky14kemea said:
rutger5000 said:
sky14kemea said:
rutger5000 said:
I think I suffered from this, I remember seeing the face of a which floating in the air. Strangely enough I knew it was fake, but I think I could move. Is it possible to overpower it? Because I can willingly move my body while I'm a sleep (most of the time I'll wake up because of it though).

By the way. Seeing is more like actually shitting your pants, but hearing makes you much less comfortable because it's harder to say to yourself this is fake.
I don't know if it's possible to over power it actually, but I don't think it'd be impossible. I've been able to move my hand once or twice in some cases. :/
Now I'm starting to get curious. If you manage to move, what kind of movements are they.I personally need several seconds to connect mind a body again and when the connection is strong enough I can make a big fast movement, usually an entire limb swinging around.
Very small movements at best, like tilting to the side of moving my hand up a bit to try and shield myself. xD
Then again if I am trying to move it means I'm panicking anyway >_> so I usually can't get my mind to connect back to my body. Dx
Nanananana I've got a magic trick that prevents me from ever having to go though a nightmare, and you can't do it. Nanananana.

Seriously though. It took quiet some training. I can't really say anything except that I simply forced to move my body. But here's a how to guide (it's short).
First realize that you're dreaming / hallucinating, and that you can't willingly move your body anymore.
Then focus on a part of your body you're familiar with, like the arm you use for writing. It has to be able to make a big movement. Smaller muscles like those in your hand won't work.
Now comes the hard part. !!!Force it too move!!! Like I said this only takes me a few seconds, but when I started doing it it took me several minutes. Mostly the bad monster was already chewing on me by then.

Jroo wuz heer

Apr 1, 2010
sky14kemea said:
snip. damn, gonna need bigger scissors
SNIP!
ah there we go
do you ever have hallucinations about being somewhere else?
like in a different room from the one you sleep in?

OT:hearing

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
rutger5000 said:
Nanananana I've got a magic trick that prevents me from ever having to go though a nightmare, and you can't do it. Nanananana.

Seriously though. It took quiet some training. I can't really say anything except that I simply forced to move my body. But here's a how to guide (it's short).
First realize that you're dreaming / hallucinating, and that you can't willingly move your body anymore.
Then focus on a part of your body you're familiar with, like the arm you use for writing. It has to be able to make a big movement. Smaller muscles like those in your hand won't work.
Now comes the hard part. !!!Force it too move!!! Like I said this only takes me a few seconds, but when I started doing it it took me several minutes. Mostly the bad monster was already chewing on me by then.
Damn yoooooou! *shakes fist angrily*

Thanks for the short guide though, I'll attempt it if it happens again! :0

Weird thing though, none of my hallucinations ever got that close to me, they'd just stand near the bed, or like reach out and sorta stop near my legs. :l It's the way they moved towards me that freaked me out more.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Jroo wuz heer said:
sky14kemea said:
SNIP!
ah there we go

Nope, never actually had that. Probably because I am technically awake. xD

Although thanks to my lamp, my room glows a deep orange sometimes in the night, so one time it really looked like I was surrounded by flames and stuff. :/

Jroo wuz heer

Apr 1, 2010
sky14kemea said:
Jroo wuz heer said:
sky14kemea said:
SNIP!
ah there we go

Nope, never actually had that. Probably because I am technically awake. xD

Although thanks to my lamp, my room glows a deep orange sometimes in the night, so one time it really looked like I was surrounded by flames and stuff. :/
You know what would be even scarier than either of the options? people have reported undergoing surgery in which the anesthetic doesn't make them go to sleep, just completely paralyzes them, so that they feel everything (pain!) but can't react or tell anyone to stop

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Jroo wuz heer said:
You know what would be even scarier than either of the options? people have reported undergoing surgery in which the anesthetic doesn't make them go to sleep, just completely paralyzes them, so that they feel everything (pain!) but can't react or tell anyone to stop
Yeeee >.<

Yeah that is definitely scarier then anything I've experienced. I'd never wish that on anyone. :l

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
katsumoto03 said:
They both scare me for different reasons. Hearing leads to my fear of unknown danger, where I can't act accordingly because I have no idea what's coming.

Seeing is scary because, well, there's a huge fucking monster in my room.
This.
Although I have to say, I've had sleep paralysis before (albeit, only in certain parts of my body), and it's a frightening experience altogether. I've been lucky enough to have a couple of them while it was light outside, that does take a certain edge off of the hallucinations. Still, seeing a humanoid creature standing in the corner of your room with a thousand eyes and claws never really becomes less scary, regardless of the level of light outside.

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
JRCB said:
sky14kemea said:
JRCB said:
-snip-
When it happens to me, I just try to jerk my neck in one direction, which usually gets me out of it somehow.
That got me out of it when I had it Sunday morning. That was an auditory one, though I didn't hear really anything disturbing, just random talking, like a crowd.

Normally I think auditory are the worst. You can't tell for sure weather it's real or not, while seeing a big scary monster you might think "This surely isn't real". Both are fucking terrifying, nonetheless.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
For me hearing, because I can't see what's causing it.
If I hear a tapping noise, I'll start to get a bit anxious, but when i see that it's just my foot hitting a bedpost or whatever I'm fine.

I think in general hearing is scarier, because we tend to rely on our sight to identify everything, so if we hear a sound with no visible cause, we start to worry about it naturally.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Hearing something and never seeing it would be worse. Your imagination can go crazy with these sorts of things. It's why I find games like Penumbra to be more frightening than Dead Space.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I think those of us who've played Amnesia: The Dark Descent know.
Actually I guess not. My friends and I agree I have a twisted but very active imagination, and I'm not sure if my mind could better conjur some horrific hallucination based from my personal fears, some unknown even to me (which usually ends up happening if I attempt to purposefully write anything scary), or some image of something horrific based on a sound I've made myself hear.
Slightly off topic: I just downloaded the Dead Space 2 demo, and honestly I didn't jump once. The developers said they're going with new scares, but within the first few minutes of the demo I was greeted with a pile of dead bodies. I then used stasis on the pile and blasted the hell out of it. Sure enough, the necromorph at the bottom of the pile screamed and tried to crawl towards me missing both legs, and I simply performed a mediocre amputation of his arms. Dead Space isn't scary to me, but I like the story and it's ridiculously fun to stomp the limbs off enemies whose legs have just been shot off. I prefer the surreal anyways as far as horror goes.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
It really depends on the atmosphere with both of these things to me. With seeing things, it may be within a dark corridor, though I'd currently be under a light source. I can usually see the proverbial things that go "bump in the night", before that bump makes a sound. It honestly freaks me out there.

As for hearing things, that can happen wherever for me. I could be in a well lit room, typing on my laptop(for an accurate example), but suddenly noises come out of nowhere, and I instantly jerk my head to where the noise was, with the telltale heightened heart rate of a scare.

Personally, I prefer seeing things better than hearing them, so I suppose to answer the question, I'd say that hearing things go bump in the night is much scarier to me than seeing them make the bump.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Quantum Roberts said:
I'll post this in order to get my point across.

Now you tell me.
NOTE: Do not listen to his post if you are alone in a dark room, especially if you are me. Now I have some interesting but strange new ideas...

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'd say hearing also. When I go to sleep (which I will after this post is typed up) it's scary to hear the footsteps in the hallway, the rustle of papers being blown on my fan, and not knowing about it.