Which is the best UK county?

Kashim117

Jun 12, 2010
But to answer the original question, I would say Dorset. Because it has more tanks that other counties :D

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'll be frank; Tyne and Wear, my home county, is not exactly what I'd call nice, for the most part. Newcastle is a great city though, as long as you keep away from Byker, Fenham, Walker, Benwell, and pretty much the entirety of the city outskirts. Still, we gave the world China Drum, Leatherface, and Ridley Scott. Interestingly, it was Ridley Scott's great uncle Dixon Scott who built the Tyneside Cimema, a lovely place you should visit when in town.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
Baffle said:
Now that's just not fair. The only place in England who's hooligans can hold a candle to Glasgow's is Stoke. :p
Untrue. It's common knowledge that there are few things capable of stopping an angry Geordie with a brick, especially if drunk on a matchday.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, I don't know about the UK overall, but IIRC Fife was voted the best council in Scotland at one stage. It sure is nice and bright here. Lots of flowers, too, and no forestry commission or park rangers wasting everyone's time.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Kashim117 said:
But to answer the original question, I would say Dorset. Because it has more tanks that other counties :D
Wiltshire is home to Salisbury Plain. You maybe don't want to be so confident about that. :D

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
County Down.

Not a serious answer, I just wanted to be part of the UK people thread.

It was between Down and Antrim because I live in Belfast, which is on the border between them.

If the beak thing mystifies you, I think Ireland looks like an owl flying to the right.

Newcastle (no not that one), and the Mourne mountains. I haven't been up the Mournes though.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Essex.... HAHAHAHAAHA FUCK NO!! Screw that place.

Kent... HAHAHA I CRACK MYSELF UP. Not there either. Maybe Yorkshire or where Newport and Cardiff is.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
West Yorkshire is Best Yorkshire!

Rolling hills, Yorkshire Puddings and the best fish and chips.

Says the guy who emigrated to Sydney..

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
North Yorkshire.

It's the best Yorkshire in the land. All the other Yorkshires are the bullshit Yorkshires, if you lived here for a day you'd understand.

Cookie for the reference.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I'm not a brit myself, but as a proud owner of a cardigan corgi, I'd like to nominate Cardiganshire. I also understand they've got some nice sweaters.

mrgerry123

Aug 28, 2011
Dorset, and not just because I live there. Long life expectancy, beautiful countryside and coast and nice weather (for the UK).

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
My parents retired to Cornwall, which is very nice, but also feels like the kind of place you go to retire! As a city boy I love Manchester, but it's cold and always raining, and some parts of London are great whilst others remind me of the line from Twin Town about Swansea - "A pretty, shitty city".

Can we call the British territories that don't want independence counties? Anguilla, Montserrat, the Cayman or British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean obviously don't have the downside of the British weather, and Bermuda even has a parish called Devonshire. Put a Dairylea factory there and sell Burmuda cheese triangles, what could possibly go wrong? :eek:)

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
JoJo said:
Jux said:
I'll go with Lanarkshire, just because Glasgow hooligans. The pictures you linked were very pretty JoJo, but how are Dorsetshire's hooligans? The real question of the thread should be 'which UK county has the best hooligans?'
I'll be honest, our hooligans here are really second rate, haven't even got a decent football team for them to dish out violence for (sorry AFC Bournemouth!)
Someone's not been to Boscombe.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Lincolnshire. It's got all the beauty of the South, at about half the price. People are nicer too. Not to mention the historical and cultural significance of Lincoln as a city (Just don't look at Boston... or Grantham... or Slea-HEY GET BACK IN THE BOX SLEAFORD!)

Also, nobody from Lincolnshire is really up themselves about being from Lincolnshire, unlike another, bordering county I could mention...
Bah, Lincolnshire is boring. They've got one decent hill and they plonked a bloody cathedral on top of it. Where the hell am I going to go if by some miracle it snows enough to make sledding viable? Nottinghamshire? The scouts in my area had to have armed police to go camping so they didn't get stabbed. Or was it shot? I can't remember, is Nottingham the place you're most likely to get stabbed or shot?

Anyway, throw in another vote for Dorset. One of the few places in Britain that actually experiences that mythical time of year known as summer.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
TheRightToArmBears said:
Somerset (oo arr, oo arr, ooo aye)!

Let me tell you why:
The best cider in the country (nay, the world!), it's not in the fucking North, cheddar cheese, Bristol (voted the best city to live in the UK), nuclear power, Glastonbury and the most important contribution to culture the world has ever seen:
I feel like Somerset would be nicer if it weren't largely underwater.
My pick is the Isle of Wight. It's warmer than anywhere else in Britain, it's got beautiful coastline and beaches, and when I went there last summer my presence was enough to lower the average age signigicantly.