Which newspapers/ news sites do you read?

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I'm pretty stumped at the minute for news sites to read. It feels like every newspaper in the UK has polarised into full on right wing pro Brexit propaganda, or full on feminist identity politics pro EU propaganda. There's nothing in the middle any more. And I need something interesting to read at work, otherwise I'll actually have to do work...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
For general news I read the BBC news site, which tries to be as neutral as reasonably possible but it doesn't stop hordes of commentators popping in to rant about how leftist and anti-Brexit the BBC is, whenever it publishes anything regarding the EU/economy/immigration/weather.

As for papers, if I buy any I buy the Times and Guardian occasionally, though I tend to find the latter annoying in how transparently it tries to appeal to my prejudices, whilst still trying to present itself as having more respectability than the rest of the gutter press. I also like to dip into the New Yorker, because it has really nice fonts, and The Week, which tries to find a consensus between all the other publications. I recommend the Week if you're desperate for something more middle of the road.

Mar 30, 2010
News sites? Pretty much just the BBC and Cumbria Crack.

News TV programmes? Channel 4 news.

I tend not to read newspapers as they tend to be a) incredibly biased and b) intent on stoking that bias.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The BBC and the Associated Press online, and the i and Guardian in print, although I don't like the Guardian much.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I pretty much just check Reuters.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Besides local Argentina stuff (it's all garbage), the New York Times and occasionally the Washington Post.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Online- BBC

TV- Sky News

Physical- Dailypost and Pioneer (local newspaper and it's free).

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
Reuters or the New York Times for me.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I check BBC, the Independent and the Daily mail when I need to know what to be angry about this week.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
maninahat said:
For general news I read the BBC news site, which tries to be as neutral as reasonably possible but it doesn't stop hordes of commentators popping in to rant about how leftist and anti-Brexit the BBC is, whenever it publishes anything regarding the EU/economy/immigration/weather.
Funny that because if they bash Corbyn or anything left wing, they then other commentators coming in saying how they are a Tory propaganda machine and bigot fools. From both the left and right, the BBC are in a lose lose situation with them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I read the BBC and The Guardian, generally, as well as checking Reuters and a few other sources sometimes.

I used to read The Independent, but ever since it started focusing on online content much more, its online presence has become Buzzfeed-lite.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
It's a good question.
Most places I used to go to seem really blatant with their ideological bias to me now, and it's just sickening to read. If there's not even an attempt at objective journalism, or if there's any 'fake news', I stop visiting it. So no CNN, BBC, Guardian, Breitbart, Fox, or any of that chaff. The problem is such an epidemic that pretty soon I'll run risk of becoming pretty ignorant of what's happening in the world because there are no big news publications that can live up to that standard.

For world news I usually go to NPR, which is center left but pretty objective in their reporting, or Canada's CBC, which has a pretty hard left bias and does some shoddy work, but the local stuff is usually quite accurate. I also have a bunch of Youtube subscriptions that supplement the news. Tim Pool in particular is great for more public interest and centrist oriented stories. TYT is also worth listening to, albeit they're crazy left - it's like if high school kids started presenting the news.

For game related news I'll go here (not so much anymore I guess), Techraptor, Rock Paper Shotgun, or /v/.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Chaosian said:
Most places I used to go to seem really blatant with their ideological bias to me now, and it's just sickening to read. If there's not even an attempt at objective journalism, or if there's any 'fake news'
See...that's why I peruse multiple sites.

So I'll look at USAToday, Fox and CNN...Left, Right and Center (despite what "many people" say) and draw my own conclusions from the biases presented. It's fascinating to see what's covered by each and how.

Recently, I've started looking at BBC and Al Jazeera. They're a better source for World News and have a pretty neutral view on American News.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Usually the ABC. That's Australian Broadcasting Corperation for all you 'Muricans out there.

I might jump ship to the BBC though, as the ABC got an ex-Murdoch woman as their boss a few months ago and it shows. Clickbait, irrelevant shit, an unending stream of negativity regarding McGowan's WA Labor government and occasionally an actual news story.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't. I produce local content for a news website. I get enough of that at work. I don't need it, I'm informed enough. We get content from affiliations with ABC and Fox, and before running with either we corroborate with AP making sure just to put out the facts and strip out any politicizing (mostly from Fox.) And even then we don't bother with much more than the biggest national stories of the minute, focusing mostly on local news (which we mostly write ourselves.)

I'm continually surprised most people have such trouble stripping commentary away from news coverage. The difference seems so obvious to me. But so many people fall into conformation bias and persecution complex that it seems like a vast majority of people don't want to learn what happened in the world, they want to be told what they should take away from the news. The most popular "news" outlets and the vast majority of the "alternative" press is just "news for dummies." People have become so lazy that the truth is "just too hard." People would rather find the outlet that agrees with their confirmation bias and persecution complex and just let that outlet tell them what to think. Rather than be provided with the facts and have to do critical thinking themselves.

Yup, anyone complaining about the "traditional press" or the "mainstream media"... is just too lazy to think for themselves.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I tend to just read whatever Apple News has aggregated for me during my commute times. If I run out, I go through in order The Atlantic, LA Times, CBS News, Politico, and The Guardian. Rarely do I get past the LA Times, though. Sometimes, I also read "local" news, but I live in a forgotten suburb of a major city, so "local" news is generally about the major city that I rarely travel into.