Which Sci Fi show has the most interesting Universe?

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
im in the babylon5 camp myself, mainly because of the differences between it and many of the other scifi shows i loved when i was younger.

now, dont get me wrong. i love star trek (well nearly all of it, enterprise is the only one i didnt like much from the very beginning tbh) and nearly all the scifi shows. but there was just some things about B5 that dinged all my bells.

while nearly every episode could be watched alone, barring the 2 parters, it had a coherent storyline i enjoyed.
like Kyrian said, the humans being the underdogs was a nice change. with trek, (apart from the cardassian war and similar) everything is just too nice. no one swears. there is no real poverty. no one is hungry, no one is dirty (except the archeologists, and thats cause they dig in the dirt lol) and no one is homeless. if you are human, you have everything you might need almost at your fingertips.
it wasnt till i started watching B5 that i noticed this. hell, even the animosity between the races is so toned down it reminded me of kids in the playground, hurling the 'my dad is better that your dad' insults at eachother.

constrast that to B5.
the narn and the centari realy hate eachother. with actual passion. you can see it in their eyes. if you left them in a dark ally, someone would die. you can also see the denial and the confused haughtyness of the minbari warrior caste when they look at earth force. they know *something* went down, something that must have been big, but the religeous caste wont say anything. and its driving them nuts lol.
then there is brown sector. whooee, now that is somewhere you would never see outside of bajor and the occupation in trek. people dirty and poor, who are behind bars or in camps? people homeless sleeping rough?
and yet its true.
even if we become much more advanced as a people, and we get out to the stars, i still think we will have poor and poverty. and homelessness. because it costs to travel. unlike trek where you can seemingly grab any passing federation ship to get you from a to b, our reality is much more likely to be pay as you go lol.

and i liked that. i liked the fact that londo and g'kar hated eachother's guts at first. i liked the manuvering because it was so petty and small at the start. then it gets bigger, we see the gameboard and we can *see* where things are going. we have many different little plots all comming together to force the characters into aliances and to working together. the slow realisation of reality for G'kar and his enlightenment. the slow decline of londo and everything he does, trying to get out of the hole he digs for himself. and the little jokes they throw in. the armchair philosophy.
and you have to love the vorlons.
they are the scifi version of 'a wizard did it' XD if anything is not as it should be, 'a vorlon did it' lol

(second would probably be a tie between Dr Who'verse and Firefly'verse since i cant realy decide...i think i will just mash em together with the pitch black verse and call it a day. *wink*)

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Since Babylon 5 and Star Trek were already mentioned, I'll say Firefly. Whedon only got to scratch the surface of what he created and it's still one of my favorite universes (put some folk music over space stuff and I'm there).

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ravenbom said:
Red Dwarf has the universe I don't want to visit but most probably actually exists: space is full of nothingness. It's a weird comedy and you have to be into British comedy, then weird British comedy, and then forgive MST3K for basically ripping off Red Dwarf and adding crappy movies. Also there's a Kryten for you Farscape fans who miss Criton. ."
I know it is sci fi, but I always viewed Red Dwarf as more of a sit com than anything else so I always forget to think about it in sci fi discussions. You just reminded me that series 12 is coming on TV soon. Yesssss!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It's a tough question, if only because most sci-fi shows are a low budget affair that have to set every other story in a suspiciously Californian looking desert-scrub planet. If not that, its a generic spaceship interior with grey walls, no carpet and uniforms with inconvenient zips. Cowboy Bebop gets a vote, in that its space Western desert locations are at least appropriate, but its also quite diverse in terms of locations (Mars is a giant French/Moroccan hub).

Sci-fi BOOKS on the other hand, offer a ton of exciting worlds. Movies too. Basically you need a lot of budget or a freedom to create mental pictures to make it work.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
maninahat said:
It's a tough question, if only because most sci-fi shows are a low budget affair that have to set every other story in a suspiciously Californian looking desert-scrub planet. If not that, its a generic spaceship interior with grey walls, no carpet and uniforms with inconvenient zips. Cowboy Bebop gets a vote, in that its space Western desert locations are at least appropriate, but its also quite diverse in terms of locations (Mars is a giant French/Moroccan hub).

Sci-fi BOOKS on the other hand, offer a ton of exciting worlds. Movies too. Basically you need a lot of budget or a freedom to create mental pictures to make it work.
Eh, I don't mind low budget stuff, it's when they aren't interested in making their backyard look alien because the story works just as well set in their backyard...that bugs me. Put some plastic plants up, spray the ferns blue or have some stock alien sound effects in the background.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Oh, Rick and Morty!
*flaps hands*
I forgot Rick and Morty!

That show has the craziest, most colourful multiverse setting. A lot of it takes place on terra firma, but it also has sofa people, societies living inside batteries, Amish purge planets, and a possible pederast who lives on the moon.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Since Star Trek and Babylon 5 are already included, I will mention Mass Effect (pre-Andromeda, specially 1). I know that it is faux-Star Wars, but in my opinion, it is a lot more interesting Universe than Star Wars.

It doesn't all revolt around the doings of a chaste of magical knights (or, in the movies, the doing of a single family), humans are the newcomers and the underdogs (not the default for 99% of anyone in a position of power), a lot of races built a lot of stuff while we were dwelling in stone houses, and despite having stories set in different systems and centuries away from the movies, most of them can't help but fall into familiar archetypes (you mean there is a young but promising knight that joins a roguish but affable bounty hunter in a quest to fight an evil lord? I have never seen anything like that in Star Wars!)

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Kyrian007 said:
I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time and the fantasy element has always been my least favorite part of what it was. In the now-called "legends" era my favorite stuff was the specifically sci-fi aspect. The "star war" stuff sans lasersword-monks and evil wizards. And there was plenty of it. It seemed after the Disney takeover the focus shifted back to the elements I didn't like. But they are currently adding back in the more strictly sci-fi aspects of the story and I'm getting interested again.
THANK YOU! Star Wars these days seems all about the freaking lightsabers. For me Star wars was always at it's best as an actual war among the stars. WW2 in space doesn't get much better than that.

Darth Rosenberg said:
I think I absolutely hate/loathe Babylon 5 and Farscape. I say 'think', as it's probably been well over a decade since I last glimpsed their awfully cheap-as-chips brand of pulp sci-fi, so I may have a different reaction to it now. But back in the day my reaction was scorn/loathing/disgust/etc, and I've never understood anyone's praise for them, particularly B5.

Given the overlap with Mass Effect I am mildly curious to see what I'd make of it now, terrible acting and make-up [and sets, and not-so-special-effects] aside.
You've no idea how relieved I am to read that. I thought it used to be common knowledge just how awful Babylon 5 (and to a similar extent Farscape) was. For a minute there I thought they'd done a reverse Force Awakens and suddenly become cool in retrospect years after the fact. I can rest easy now.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Firefly I'd say. Rarely, if ever, has the world of a show gripped me as much in as small a timeframe. I'd explain further but frankly the show has the reputation it has for a reason, and most people that have seen it knows why.

The only competitor would be "The Expanse". As much as I can appreciate shows like Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate, "The Expanse" tries to keep things (relativly) grounded and not let go towards space fantasy.

If one departs from TV shows, I'd say the most interesting sci-fi universe is definetly the mass effect one, without a doubt. The amount of effort and detail that has gone into that really hooked me.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Squilookle said:
Kyrian007 said:
I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time and the fantasy element has always been my least favorite part of what it was. In the now-called "legends" era my favorite stuff was the specifically sci-fi aspect. The "star war" stuff sans lasersword-monks and evil wizards. And there was plenty of it. It seemed after the Disney takeover the focus shifted back to the elements I didn't like. But they are currently adding back in the more strictly sci-fi aspects of the story and I'm getting interested again.
THANK YOU! Star Wars these days seems all about the freaking lightsabers. For me Star wars was always at it's best as an actual war among the stars. WW2 in space doesn't get much better than that.
Yeah, Star Wars as WWII proxy is when it's best, especially for us Americans since Star Wars (Galactic Civil War, so no prequel trilogy) is our last just war.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
Much as I love Farscape, I can't give it the position of "most interesting universe," as said universe is painted in only broad strokes. As in, we learn about the Peacekeepers, scarrens, etc., but at the same rate that John does. Very good method of storytelling, but there's not much time devoted to worldbuilding in of itself.
It's a fair comment I guess, but, in my eyes at least, 'most interesting' doesn't need to mean 'most intricate' or 'most heavily invested in world building'. I just find the races, set up, planets, aliens etc more emotionally interesting compared the other series.

Dec 10, 2012
Hawki said:
Not trying to be disrepaging, but I'm really surprised to see Dark Matter be nominated. I watched and enjoyed season 1 back in the day, but...well, I'll quote myself from back in said day. "Dark Matter has the better characters, Killjoys has the better setting."

And, yeah. I mean, from what I remember, there were vague references to the Galactic Authority, and the suggestion that corporations have quite a bit of power, but it always struck me as being a series more about the characters and a universe that's only really discovered at the same rate the plot is. "Humans are in space and do...stuff..."

Course this is just season 1, so does this change in later seasons? Or did I just miss stuff?
No, you're right. When I saw the title of the thread my first reflexive answer that occurred to me was "Dark Matter!" But that was only because it's my favorite currently running sci fi show. It actually has a very vague and thinly defined universe. It's expanded a bit in seasons 2 and 3, but there is no sense of where anything is in relation to other places, and the political system is simply "everything is run by one of a dozen corporations, and are all trying to take more from each other." I still don't know where Zyron sits politically, or if there even are any other independent states. The show isn't concerned with developing a solid universe, just solid characters.

As for my answer, I think I have to say B5 as well. It's easy to get a sense of the political picture, even as it constantly changes throughout the show. The aliens are all distinct and well-defined. The state of the universe feels very believable and lived-in.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
hermes said:
Since Star Trek and Babylon 5 are already included, I will mention Mass Effect (pre-Andromeda, specially 1). I know that it is faux-Star Wars, but in my opinion, it is a lot more interesting Universe than Star Wars.

It doesn't all revolt around the doings of a chaste of magical knights (or, in the movies, the doing of a single family), humans are the newcomers and the underdogs (not the default for 99% of anyone in a position of power), a lot of races built a lot of stuff while we were dwelling in stone houses, and despite having stories set in different systems and centuries away from the movies, most of them can't help but fall into familiar archetypes (you mean there is a young but promising knight that joins a roguish but affable bounty hunter in a quest to fight an evil lord? I have never seen anything like that in Star Wars!)
Isn't the best part of Scifi universes that we can have many rather than have to pick just one? Even within our scifi universes there are often a few to choose from...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Concerning Star Wars...well, here's the thing. Sci-fi and sci-fa usually have at least some connection to the real world, no matter how tenuous that connection might be. Star Wars in its 'primary essence' (i.e. the films) is far more of a fantasy story. It starts off with this in the opening crawl ("a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" is a reference to fairy tales, just replace "galaxy" with "land"), has no connection with Earth or even our galaxy, and in its tropes (the Force, knights, swords, princesses, etc.) That's not to say that Star Wars can't rely on more sci-fi esque tropes, especially in the EU, but, well, I can't help but be reminded of how many fans disliked medichlorians, because it's introducing scientific analogy (mitochondria) to a previously mystic element. I wasn't put off by them in the same way, but I can understand the rationale.

To be honest, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from Kyrian, as I've always liked Star Wars the most when it's been using its fantasy rather than sci-fi elements. I remember one of the Republic Commando books I read by Karen Traviss (an author I've got very mixed feelings on), and while the book in of itself was well written, it didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Very heavy on military sci-fi and analogy to WWII paratroopers (by my reading at least), but these aren't the elements I enjoy Star Wars for (the fantasy/adventure/spiritual ones). For instance, I'm more charitable to the prequels than most, but my favorite Star Wars film is definately A New Hope, which is by far the most 'classical' Star Wars film, in both its story structure and style of film making. It's also part of why of the new films, I like The Force Awakens (more fantasy based) more than Rogue One (more sci-fi esque).
I'd love to see a more in depth take on how the universe functions though. Especially how 'First Contact' works, since there isnt that unified Federation going around and instead it seems open season to give any race any tech at any point in their development. No one was guilt tripping over using tech in front of Ewoks.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Tough choice, The Expanse is good in that it really can be boiled down to humans being human's but on a much larger scale, so you have all the dickish, political, racial bullshit that you see day in day out on Earth being shown alongside the everyday folks just trying to get on with their lives (only at 1/3 G) all thrown out over a much larger area but then focused down when it turns out that their is something a lot bigger and a hell of a lot more powerful out there and even then Human's or in this case Belters still prove that they can be total and utter dicks. Anyone who's read the books will know why, you folks watching the TV series have got a good two if not three seasons to find out why.

I would also go with Stargate, I mean the size and scope of that Universe is huge it quite literally is Universal. Startrek spent all their time dicking around in our Galaxy but Stargate actually took it to another Galaxy and then so far they had to have a show called Stargate Universe. It's history is also set over a huge period of time, f*ck the time scale is such that humans evolved twice on Earth over the time frame that events in Stargate take place, oh and it also touches on the potential their is something much much bigger and more powerful than us out there. Iam not talking about the Goauld or the Ancients or the Ori I am talking about the mystery single that Destiny (my god I just realised that the ship in SGU has the same name as the ship in the new ST show ;0 ) picked up and we found out about in the second season and was clearly going to be the over arcing plot point for the upcoming seasons... right before they cancelled the show.

The only reason I wouldn't chose Rick and Morty is because the Universe in that feels like a collection of what we need this week to make an episode characters and locations, yes we have the Galactic Federation and a loose assortments of reoccuring Alien species (the gear people for example) but it feels like they get rolled out for episodes they are in and then get stuck back in to cryo freeze until the next time they are needed with no real development or in fact mention until they are needed again.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Stargate's universe is interesting if you like planets which all look like a Canadian forest, peopled with boring villagers who can't seem to do anything for themselves.

I'd go for Lexx's universe instead. It's a far more creative setting.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Breakdown said:
Stargate's universe is interesting if you like planets which all look like a Canadian forest, peopled with boring villagers who can't seem to do anything for themselves.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Breakdown said:
I'd go for Lexx's universe instead. It's a far more creative setting.
The universe they destroyed, or the one they fled to?

OT; I will say Star Wars too, but only for other people. Knowing my luck, I would be a part time security guard/computer sciences teacher who spends his free time playing MMO's on the holonet (just like my real life). If the holonet had MMOs, I'd be crap at that weird chess game they play.