Which starting Pokemon is best on the GOLD version. . .

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Typhlosion.

He's the type most supereffective against the most gyms. He's second gen's equivalent to Bulbasaur.

Good fire types also tend to be rather rare compared the the plentitude of grass and waters, unless you go for a growlithe or a magmar, so getting typhlosion is the most efficient solution.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Water is always the way to go. Put enough time in and they become super powered. I always choose water and I always beat the games. If nothing else works choose water, the rival will always pick grass and you can whip that grass pokemon's ass everytime.

Oh and I hear you like Mudkips.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
Cyndaquil is a good choice, but a blind run is almost always more fun than "oh, route 17, that means I have to spin around to look for a hoothoot."
Route 17 is cycling road, and only has grimer/farrow (morning) in its small grass patch.

Vesuvius Hetlan

Sep 3, 2010
Totodile. Because Feraligatr can curbstomp Typhlosion any day.

But here's the thing
Meganium is tough as nails but is limited by a lack of movesets.
Typhlosion is very strong but its defenses are lacking. But it is typically fast enough to compensate.
Feraligatr is more balanced than the rest of them but doesn't have the higher stats of the others.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Start with Fire since the first Pokemon you fight are going to be Grass and Normal, but then you want to make sure to catch one or two of the Fire and Normal types since next you're going to have to fight the Water Gym, and then...

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
I always choose Totodile. Teach it Ice Punch and you'll have absolutely no problem against the Elite Four. Cyndaquil is good too. It has a really good Sp.Attack stat and is pretty reliable in general. In short, don't pick Chikorita.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I personally loved all of the starters from that game but since you catch Suicune I suggest you get a Cyndaquil to even out your team.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
pick whatever one you like the best. if your like me you are not going to stick with them past gym boss 5.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
Cyndoquil hands down. i stop playing pokemon after Gold but to me pokemon was at its best back then, cant stand anything after.

brick

Apr 14, 2009
UPDATE: I went with Cyndaquil which seemed to be the majority's choice. It is freakin' awesome! May not look as cool as the original fire type starter charmander but coupled with a level 13 Pidgey, my level 14 evolved Cyndaquil (can't remember evolved name) has blitzed through the first gym and "bellsprout tower". Now I just need a pokemon capable of flash to get through the cave; HELP!

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
if your looking at stats Totidile and cyndaquil are your best bet. if you just want some cute little useless companion then take chikorita.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
ooo nostalgia. i didnt have gold but i do have crystal version. my first pokemon was totodile and to be honest i beat the game WITH ONLY HIM. no joke i didnt catch anything else cept for suicine and red gyrados since they were rare and i essentially had to confront them.

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
I actually found Chicorita good to have. Maybe not at the beginning but later on it was a freakin tank with shields and the ability to heal. The only attack I needed was petal dance and I plowed through just about anything that wasn't super effective against grass.

But yeah, its personal taste and how you build the rest of your team (if you even have one)

brick

Apr 14, 2009
Vault Girl said:
Cyndoquil hands down. i stop playing pokemon after Gold but to me pokemon was at its best back then, cant stand anything after.
Couldn't agree more! A friend recently showed me his copy of the new BLACK on DS and though the adventure part of the game looked outstanding, from what i could see the character design of the actual pokemon (in particular the first three) looked and to be lacking, and as if Nintendo have been struggling with coming up with yet ANOTHER 150 pokemon. I'm not sure if it's just naustalgia but i remember the original 151 so fondly. Aesthetically at least i think the original 151 were the most impressive/memorable.

brick

Apr 14, 2009
Vesuvius Hetlan said:
Totodile. Because Feraligatr can curbstomp Typhlosion any day.

But here's the thing
Meganium is tough as nails but is limited by a lack of movesets.
Typhlosion is very strong but its defenses are lacking. But it is typically fast enough to compensate.
Feraligatr is more balanced than the rest of them but doesn't have the higher stats of the others.
Correct me if i'm wrong but were the original three (Charizard, Venasaur and Blastoise) not all equally badass? I can't remember ever playing through with squirtle, but i'm sure he was pretty good still.