Which video game has the best music?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Brutal Legend. Oh come on, what else?
Original soundtrack, I would say a tie between Morrowind and Bastion for me. Both manage to capture the atmosphere of the respective games incredibly well. Bastion probably does it better but I love Morrowind too much, every time I hear the main theme I'm filled with the same awe I feel playing the game.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i liked the chinatown theme from VTMB and the end credits song from mass effect

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well personally I think Dynasty Warriors 4 has the best video game soundtrack, and my all time favourite musical track of all time...

SamBargeron

Jun 23, 2011
Oh god... your thread is murdering my brain... brinstar theme... wily fortress theme... legend of zelda theme... cossack fortress theme... kingdom hearts opening songs... Metalman theme... I Want Love from Silent Hill 3... don't make me choose!

oh... opening theme from Mega Man X... drummed that throughout my middle school and high school years endlessly... may start again now...

Probably Mega Man wins as you might guess from every other song being from that franchise... but I really do have a lot of game music on my computer. brinstar from metroid is one of my very favorites, but not a lot of other songs from that series stand out, y'know?

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Secret of Mana

Everything is memorable, everything is a great listen on its own, and then the big epic stuff is even more awesome

It's the melodic seriousness of Final Fantasy 6 combined with the hopeful majesty of Zelda and does it better than either of those, in every single scene.
It doesn't even repeat itself that often. Just as you get sick of that forest tune, they play it in a cave with an echo. Next time you hear it it's in some sewers after spending half the game without it and you're glad it's back.

I usually post an orchestra playing it, or the main theme, or Meridian Dance, but this time I'll go with a gem I haven't listened to myself in a while.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I don't think any game has the "best" music but some good ones are:
Legend of Zelda: MM/OoT/WW/TP/all the rest
Assassins Creed I/II
Blazblue
Star Fox 64
Fire Emblem (all of them)
Pokemon (Especially G/S)
Soulcalibur (Especially II)
Demon's Souls
Many Final Fantasy Games (Pretty much every song in 1, all the way to the beautiful battle theme in FFXIII)
Kirby 64

Edit: How could I forget? Banjo Kazooie/Tooie

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
probably the original unreal tournemant, deus ex and stalker clear sky easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psaadT7JS9E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1NiceTQ00&feature=related

could rave to these tracks :D

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Castlevania SoTN always comes to mind when people talk about the best game soundtracks. Much like Final Fantasy, CV has become a franchise where you come to expect exceptionally good music:

vodkainferno

Dec 31, 2009
Megaman 2 or Pokemon GSC

Megaman 2 makes me want to rock out with my socks off, and Pokemon GSC is just fun. And yes, Nostalgia factor plays into the Pokemon, not Megaman 2 though, oddly...

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
I'd have to say Jim Power in Mutant Planet for the Atari ST. All the other versions have relatively lame music.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
COME ON! PERSONA 3! (My new found addiction to an OST)

Although, Portal 2, L.A. Noire and Crysis 2 all have astounding soundtracks.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
SergeantAnt said:
chrono cross without a doubt is my number 1. nothing even comes close :)

well actually lots of the ones listed above are great too.
pretty much anything square enix is gold though, well for the most part (looks at ffx-2 and its opening scene) ew lol.
The entire FFX-2 soundtrack is ass, just listen to the main battle theme. It's arguably worse than the first two Dragon Quest battle themes*.

That out of the way Chrono Cross has without a doubt thmy favorite town theme of all time "Arni-Home". (Nt the best, that goes to "Anxious Heart" from FFVII, but my favorite.)

Also, thread, good job for not posting FFVI yet.

*Shut up, they're ass and you know it. The first good DQ battle theme is DQIV.