WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Just have to say after perusing back through here, some of the avatars that don't find this funny seem to be the same ones that get into heated ahem* "discussions" in the gender threads.

You don't find it funny? Well that is because its making fun of you, and it couldn't be any more blatant about it. The rest of us seem to think its hilarious.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
The Gentleman said:
JonB said:
*Casually strolls into thread, holding Banhammer*

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread? Oh? Weatherman calls for a shitstorm?

I'll stick around and watch, you know, just in case.
This thread or the already-spoiled fight scene from Thor: the Dark World: Which hammer fight shall be more interesting?

Taking bets now...
I can't tell you which will be more interesting, but I can tell you that it won't take me two hours to hammer everyone who has wronged me, unlike some thunder gods I know...

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Father Time said:
Legion said:
Father Time said:
This is the most shameless piece of flamebait I've ever seen ever. You've basically become a full on troll at this point.
I think that is probably the reason for why I don't really find it funny. It should be, but it has the same level of subtlety as Family Guy. Maybe Grey finally got fed up with all of the people who always said "I don't get it." in the comments section?

Then again it's also possible that I am just really not in the mood for laughing right now, and would find it funny if I was feeling better.
An insult to Family Guy. I didn't find this funny either. They're trying to make a point by making fun of straw man versions of points nobody actually brings up in those discussions anyway.
Straw men? I have definitely had people tell me that "white men are the group that suffer the most discrimination today" with complete sincerity. I have also had so many "is this racist?" discussions derailed by people going on a "you're just being PC" rant.

Admittedly they weren't wearing spandex but you know... spandex is funnier.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
JonB said:
I can't tell you which will be more interesting, but I can tell you that it won't take me two hours to hammer everyone who has wronged me, unlike some thunder gods I know...
If I'm getting hammered does that count?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
715 said:
This is just saying that racism to whites and sexism to men can't ever ever happen
...No it's not. But it says a lot that that's how you interpreted it, especially since there's literally nothing about sexism anywhere in there.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JarinArenos said:
*nudges the shitstorm in from the wings* C'mon, quit being boring...
This is going to be a 90+ post thread with nothing but "abandon thread!" and "shitstorm inbound!" memes and posts without anything to actually show for it. The closest thing that I've seen was someone blandly saying "You should have read the evidence for the Zimmerman trial."

All in all, I think this sums up why there won't be any major shitstorm:
Abomination said:
Trying too hard, to be honest.

I get the joke, I just don't find it funny.
Or as I said back on page 1:
RJ 17 said:
Teoes said:
I half expect this'll actually be another one of those threads that is several pages of "Woah, man, shitstorm INCOMING!".. and no actual shitstorm. Don't let us all down, folks.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I'm betting that this one is just "too easy". As in there's a difference between "flamebait" posts and coming right out and saying "Come on you rat bastards, I DARE you to get pissed off at this! PLEEEEEASE! I'm beggin' for your hate!"

Or, to put it another way:

I'm pretty sure this comic is much less an example of flamebait and much more an example of that other thing I said. :p
Ishal said:
Just have to say after perusing back through here, some of the avatars that don't find this funny seem to be the same ones that get into heated ahem* "discussions" in the gender threads.

You don't find it funny? Well that is because its making fun of you, and it couldn't be any more blatant about it. The rest of us seem to think its hilarious.
I'd imagine the people that frequent sexual orientation/gender/race baiting topics don't find very many things funny in those subjects. I'm with Abomination in that I got the joke, just didn't laugh that much because it was too in-your-face. I chuckled, but wouldn't call this "hilarious" because I do prefer at least a mild touch of subtlety to my humor. That's not to say I can't appreciate an in-your-face joke, but this one seemed to drag on just a touch too long and that made it stale to me.

Personally the funniest thing I found about this comic was how it generally parallels a LOT of threads in the Off-Topic Discussion forum. :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alek_the_Great said:
Is this a joke about how when people complain about people randomly making white characters black simply because you feel like there needs to be more black characters? Oh yeah, nice joke about Zimmerman. I'm sure he definitely pulled his gun for no reason whatsoever, it's not like Trayvon was beating the ever loving shit out of him. Also, isn't Zimmerman NOT EVEN FULLY WHITE (you know, that whole "hispanic" thing he has going on)? That pretty much invalidates the entire joke actually.
He has white skin. Police don't know someone's ethnicity when they pull someone over. If you're of hispanic descent but light-colored skin and you're walking through NYC, you probably won't get stopped and frisked. If you're of hispanic descent but with darker skin, your odds go up.

So no, the definition of "white Hispanic" actually fits him perfectly because he probably doesn't face any of the troubles a darker-skinned Hispanic man would. (And it's not like they could tell from his name, either. He's not Jorge Rodriguez; George Zimmerman is Anglo-German all the way.)

(Also, the only reason Trayvon was fighting him was because George Zimmerman was stalking him and in doing so provoked a confrontation, winning a fight isn't a capital crime.)

(Also x2, thanks for being a perfect representation of the people parodied in the comic)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Eternal_Lament said:
Of all the things that attract attention in this comic, of all the things that draw one's eye, one thing sticks out to me:

.....what exactly is the "Son zone"?
]

I'm guessing it's for guys with Oedipus complexes.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Sigh, blatant flame bait? This is in incredibly poor taste.

When are you going to go back to making actual humor rather than just throwing rapid fire insults to try and get a rise out of people? I don't even know why I bother checking this comic anymore.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
...I don't get it. At all. Maybe the Zimmerman bit? Could someone just go through it panel by panel and explain what hte hell it was I just read?

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Eternal_Lament said:
Of all the things that attract attention in this comic, of all the things that draw one's eye, one thing sticks out to me:

.....what exactly is the "Son zone"?
Well you know what a MILF is? Well its when a guy tries to go for a milf and she "son zones" him. At least that's what I hope it is.

Also it took three pages for a shit storm to start brewing, that is pretty impressive.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
Well this was interesting one this week, I think it's your best Critical Miss yet, although I feel if you wanted to be completely controversial, you should of included Anita Sarkeesian and a dig at Evangelion for it to be perfect. Now I'm going to sit back, relax and revel in the ensuring chaos that will soon follow
Only if Sarkeesian was dressed as Rita Repulsa. That... would be... perfect.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
IndomitableSam said:
I... have no idea what Mirin' means.

That is all, because I found this really, really funny.
It's short for "admiring".

Excellent work on this comic, team. One of your very best.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Abomination said:
Trying too hard, to be honest.

I get the joke, I just don't find it funny.
Indeed, the last thing this comic is, is subtle, and the second to last thing is un-funny. ;)

And yet there are still people saying they don't understand it. :/

Can't get it to everybody I guess...

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:
"If his race doesn't matter, why not make him black?"

Doesn't this question kinda answer itself.

I liked the jab at /r/atheism though.
Only if you equate "white" with "default".

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
This... this is amazing.
It's a shame there's a couple of people who can't take a joke but at least it's only a couple.

It's embodying those kind of users that don't last very long on here in comic form. Brilliant!

[sub]Needs moar feminist hating.[/sub]