White House Opens Code Up to Critique

Apr 28, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Irridium said:
Icecoldcynic said:
someboredguy said:
I can't wait to see all the people sending in messages telling them that they can improve the software and create a better website by deleting System32.
Don't be silly. I'm pretty sure the professionals who work there would know they should do that. I deleted system 32 AGES ago, and can't believe the technique isn't more well known.
Indeed. It actually made Vista stable.

Which is one hell of a herculean task.
Yeah but what about Windows ME?
Just a quick swipe of a magnet across the hard drive should make everything work for you.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Irridium said:
Just a quick swipe of a magnet across the hard drive should make everything work for you.
Runs like a dream now, thanks!.

edit: on a serious note, like seriously, wiping Windows ME would be an improvement. I wouldn't wish Windows ME on my worst enemy.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Austin MacKenzie said:
"By releasing some of our code, we get the benefit of more people reviewing and improving it," Senior Advisor to the CIO David Cole said. "This code is available for anyone to review, use, or modify. We're excited to see how developers across the world put our work to good use in their own applications."
Yes, but are they "excited to see how developers across the world put [their] code to bad use"? After years on the internet, we all know that for every good, there will be at least five bad.

danpascooch said:
I am going to assume the people in Washington have made sure this doesn't open up any security risks
It is my understanding the government's net infrastructure is ... less than sound. Troubling, yes, but when the government jobs pay way less than any private corporation, the best and brightest do not go to work there. Open sourcing would be an interesting way of getting some good ideas on improving security of said systems. The White House website is a relatively safe and walled off place for this sandboxing to take place, so it's a mostly positive thing.