White House Won't Investigate SOPA Supporter

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
A Democrat-controlled White House in the midst of an election year isn't going to investigate a former big time Democrat senator. I am shocked.

Now, before anyone starts crying, I fully admit the Republicans would do the same thing and I would slam them equally.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
That... doesn't say that they aren't investigating. It doesn't say that at all.

If you ask a police officer a question regarding an investigation you will be told "I can't comment on an ongoing investigation". That is essentially exactly what that is. It doesn't mean they aren't investigating it, it means they just can't talk about it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I must say from an outsiders perspective this is a disappointing response to 25,000+ people asking for the government to look into the possibility of bribery.
remember that is less than a twelfth of a percent of the population. Also, I imagine a relatively small percentage of the 25,000 were actually of voting age

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Before people start jumping on the "this website never does anything," it actually has changed some policies and made the U.S. Army change some of theirs in the past as well, if people would read the history of responses to the former petitions.

And even then, there have been nearly a dozen of the same requests to "investigate" someone for some random reason, even those that aren't tied to the government what so ever, and the White House has said the same thing: "We can't talk about that." It's not some conspiracy they're not commenting on this guy, it's just the same policy they've adapted over the years. That doesn't mean, however, they aren't possibly looking into it, as other posters have pointed out.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Investigation is not a specific law enforcement action.

Arrest is.

If you choose to ignore 25,000+ people, then that's a real vote winner for the Republicans - Apart from Dodd pays them to keep quiet as well. Allegedly.
To constitute one percent of the population you would need three million. To say you have 25,000 people is to say that you have less than a percent of a percent of the population.

Also, investigation of a particular individual for a particular crime is a specific law enforcement action.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Disappointing; not at all surprising. Our government's been doing a horrible job lately. Eh it's just another notch in the cap, and another sign that we need an upheaval and fast.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
you people are surprised? the white house in just the past 3 years have done more underhanded corrupt deals than just SOPA. The illegal raids on gibson for an indian law the indian government said dont bother enforcing. AFTs Fast and Furious, which part of it was to promote gun control arguments. (thats not even a right winged nut thing either! CBS reported that shit! its documented!)
God knows what else, they have done.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Kills useless captcha*

There seems to be alot of people in charge not doing simple jobs as of late.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
So...they'll help big businesses 'take legal action' against guys hosting servers but they won't 'take legal action' against a super rich person for bribing US officials?

You guys are doing a great job.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Yureina said:

Arrest is.

If you choose to ignore 25,000+ people, then that's a real vote winner for the Republicans - Apart from Dodd pays them to keep quiet as well. Allegedly.
Dodd is a Democrat, not a Republican. In fact, he actually led the DNC from 1995 to 1997 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_National_Committee#DNC_National_Chairpersons], so this guy is a pretty high-profile Democrat. He was also a senator for 30 years.

Just figured i'd point that out. In regards to the topic, please see my above post. This article is still as misleading as it was when I made that post.
"Vote winner for the republicans" meaning this benefits republicans, not democrats. Unless you knew that, and i'm too tired to tell.

OT: Nothing will happen but I hope nothing but bad things for all of them. The guy's father is a real piece of crap too.
Edit: fixed quote.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
"Thank you for signing this petition. We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on Whitehouse.gov. However, consistent with the We the People Terms of Participation and our responses to similar petitions in the past, the White House declines to comment on this petition because it requests a specific law enforcement action." refusetocomment/refusetoact
Same thing right?

NOT!

People in here need to read whats written..

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Did anyone really think that the government would uncover a stream of dirty money going into washington? No way will our government ever do that. We are way too corrupted.
"Hello, this is tech support, what seems to be the problem?"
"Pardon? Your government won't work?"
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Torrasque said:
"Hey, if you get 25k people to ask us to do something, we'll do it!"
'Course, that's not the promise. The promise is they would address the demand. Not that they would do it.

They did exactly what was promised: They gave an answer. The answer was no.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
"Thank you for signing this petition. We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on Whitehouse.gov. However, consistent with the We the People Terms of Participation and our responses to similar petitions in the past, the White House declines to comment on this petition because it requests a specific law enforcement action."
That's not a denial of action, that is just a denial to say what they are doing. I don't see anything in that statement saying they aren't investigating that dilhole.
Who wouldn't want to potentially tear down one of the most powerful and corrupt organizations of America? The MPAA has had its seat for way too long.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
AnythingOutstanding said:
Of course, we'll put up this website to give people a voice, but if we don't like it then we won't do it.

Government: Fooling people into thinking that they have ANY say what is going on.

Fascism ho!
Seems like a reasonable policy to me. This is a republic, not a mobocracy. If the government followed any directive that 25000 people happened to agree on, we'd probably have several government-sponsored genocides going on at the same time.

Also, fascism is basically ultra nationalist totalitarianism, so not sure how it's related to this o_O

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
DiMono said:

Arrest is.

Investigations are law enforcement actions too. Who do you think carries out the investigations?
"Too", not "specific".

I'm rather reminded of the UK expenses scandal.
Isn't that more of an inquiry than an investigation? Semantics, I know. But it probably means something to them.