White males only scholarship

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/28/n...-set-to-benefit-white-men-only/#ixzz1FHPJzsPi

A new Texas non-profit has announced its intention to provide scholarships for one group they feel has been left out of college scholarship programs ? white men.

The Former Majority Association for Equality will grant $500 dollar scholarships to any male Texas resident who can prove he is at least 25% Caucasian, has a 3.0 or higher, and can demonstrate both financial need and a commitment to education.

The group was named because of the idea that ?if you?re not male, and you?re not white, you?re called a minority,? Colby Bohannan, the group?s founder, told the Daily Mail. In fact, according to census numbers released earlier this month, non-Hispanic whites are no longer a majority in Texas, making up 42% of the population.

On its website, the group states that its goal is to ?assist young Americans seeking higher education who lack opportunities in similar organizations that are based upon race or gender.?

?There are scholarships offered for almost any demographic imaginable,? it says. ?In a country that proclaims equality for all, we provide monetary aid to those that have found the scholarship application process difficult because they do not fit into certain categories or any ethnic group.?

?We know that we?re going to be receiving some vicious attacks, from people claiming that we are racists, or promoting some bigotry-filled agenda,? Bohannan told Reuters on Thursday.

Despite the inevitable criticism from anti-racism groups, FMAFE maintains that it has no white supremacist agenda, nor does it tolerate anyone who does. Its website says that it was founded on one principle: ?to provide monetary aid for education to white males who need it.?
I await your indignation

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Why indignation? I'm not allowed to sign up for half the scholarships out there because I'm not a one-legged, blind, lesbian, aboriginal woman that lives in a 1km radius on the northeast side of town. At least with this one I would have a chance.

Edit: Why not get rid of these kinds of physical restrictions altogether? Make it based on what a person has done. I still wouldn't get any since I don't volunteer enough, but at least someone who deserves it, instead of the guy who only got it because he lives on a boat and has no ears.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I guess we should make controversy about this but I don't see one nor do I particularly care even if there was one. As long as someone who needs the money gets the scholarship who the fuck cares.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I can say that white heterosexual males have almost NO SCHOLARSHIPS available to them. I have made a thread about this before. I looked for 2 months for a scholarship for a white male engineering student, and besides automatically applied merit scholarships I found nothing.

It is good that he has made this scholarship. If I get loaded I will do the same for engineering students.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
People have no problem with black-only scholarships, asian-only scholarships, latino-only scholarships, so why not white-only? As people already said, equality works both ways.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
This is racist because they are ignore me for not being a Texan or needing the money or going to college. Racist.[/sarcasm]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
Looks like just another case of "It's only racism because you're white."
That's right! White males are the ONLY PERPETRATORS OF RACISM IN HISTORY.

*Sigh* In all seriousness, it's rather sad that this has to be defended at all.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, we know how hard it is for white men these days, having just most of the power instead of all of it. (Joking, of course.)
Meh, you can set up a scholarship for anything you want, if they want to set up a white man's scholarship fund, whatever.

Hell, I never played sports, and I got middle of the road grades in school, being a white guy is pretty much the only thing I got. If I can get a scholarship because of that, then good for me.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
I don't agree with this any more than I agree with scholarships awarded to only blacks or only women (or whatever), but if those things can exist then so can this. At the very least maybe it will draw some attention to the hypocrisy that goes largely unnoticed, then (God willing) we can all grow the hell up and stop putting so much damn emphasis on race and sex.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Well I'm pleasantly surprised, and I was wrong. I expected a bunch of knee-jerk responses that this was attention whoring, and that white males are just butthurt that they are no longer the majority in Texas and they should stfu because they still control most of the wealth in this country. That's a common sentiment of many opposed to this "whites-only" scholarship. Personally, I don't agree with that criticism, and people are free to give private scholarships for whatever reason they want.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
They are right they throw scholarships at you if your a ethnicity or minority, but not if your a majority, good for them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Whites have it rough in this nation. They totally need a leg up to stand on par with the rest of the nation.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Its about damn time! Though, there are so many scholarships out there that they really give them away to applicants. I know a guy (white, male, well-off) who applied for a scholarship that was meant for poor, black females. He got it because he was the only one to apply for it. It never hurts to try your luck anyway, despite that you don't qualify.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Surely they could award scholarships based on individual cases, not race?

Also: since 42% is not the majority, I take it that at least 42.1% of the other people there are of the same race? As opposed to, they're no longer the majority when all the other races are combined (which is a stupid way to measure things - like when people stick the consoles together and then say PC sales are so much lower).

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Whites have it rough in this nation. They totally need a leg up to stand on par with the rest of the nation.
I understand you are being sarcastic, but you'd be partially correct in your statement depending where you live. Come to the South sometime; I can show you plenty of economically disadvantaged white men who could desperately use a scholarship to get out of the cycle of poverty they and their families are trapped in.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I couldn't really care less, since I don't know how the whole US scholarship system works, but hey, at least it can be used as a blow against all those people that figure only whites can be racist.
And while I think it's stupid, I don't think it's any more stupid than scholarships for any other ethnic group. I say you should get rid of scholarships based on ethnic groups altogether.

Edit: Wait. These scholarships are only a couple hundred dollars? Huh. Is it a couple hudred dollars a month, or is it a one time payment? If it's the latter, I'm sort of surprised. Where I live, everyone from age 15/16 and up (i.e. 3 years before going to university) get ca. $150 from the state by default. So long as they apply for it, that is. I forgot to apply this year, actually. Not that it matters much, since the scholarship isn't even enough to cover a graph calculator.