White People! Are you offended being called a "Cracka"?

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Well, as far as white-centric racial slurs are concerned, I've always been partial to "Blue-Eyed Devil", myself. (I have been told I have very pretty blue eyes, so I don't mind.)

captcha relevance: if it fits

No, the only thing that really bothers me about white-people targeted racism is that I don't know more racist jokes against my own people than I do right now. A coworker and I were trading racist jokes with each other on a boring day at work, and I felt genuinely guilty that I didn't know more white people jokes.

Though I did get a black guy to laugh hysterically one time by holding up a salad cracker, whispering "cannibalism" and then eating it.

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
It does not offend me, but very little does. However, yes, it is a racial slur, and should be recognized as such.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
White people poke at our homophobia and get mad when we're called faggots.

The answer to this is simply on Xboxlive.

Steve Proctor

Jun 21, 2012
Actually depending on one's ancestry, if one is Irish, many millions of them we forced into slavery and left to starve to death by the English. They actually used to give Irish-men / women away at slave auctions as breeding stock so slave owners wouldn't have to buy more slaves to help with the breeding. This was also done the help make slaves from Africa more resilient to all the diseases the Europeans had and most Irish had a good tolerance for them. If we weren't so friendly with England this would be common info, but the English traded a lot more than just Africans, Africans are just the hardest to sweep under a rug so they don't even bother.

TLDR: The gods damned English traded a lot more than Africans, but as the USA and the English are friends we don't talk about it cause its easier to hide.

Insanely Asinine

Sep 7, 2010
I say it is if you want to equate a white human to a monster that brutally beat someone to do manual labor, as well as raped those same humans they enslaved. Now should you be offended? Are you offended by the term? Now that is up to the individual and how they feel. Am I offended? Since I'm not white. No of course not don't be silly. Am I offended by other terms? Usually not because I have a thick skin.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I think the only racial slurs with actual impact specifically aimed at white people are "wigger" or "******-lover". Why? Because of the connotations of "******" and that is insulting the white person because they're "acting black", or being sympathetic to black people (like back when there were some white people who supported the civil rights movement, or were in relationships with black people at a time when it was illegal or at least stigmatised).

Of course, if a black person was to "act white", you couldn't call them "blacka" or "blonky", because that would be racist. Right?

Anyway, they're all just fucking words, if you ask me. I'm black, and you can call me "******" as many times as you like and I won't give a shit. Why? I don't define myself by my race and I've never been a direct victim of slavery. The most I'll get is mildly annoyed with you for using such a stupid term.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Panzervaughn said:
White people poke at our homophobia and get mad when we're called faggots
As South Park so colorfully articulated, that word (like any) is all about context. George Carlin was also explicit in his approach to and respect of language.

I personally don't believe in segregating language, i.e. words specific people can openly use without condemnation. That's partly responsible for division. I've even met someone that doesn't like the word rape (though admittedly, it's usage today is at times unsettling). Political correctness is distorting our ability to communicate clearly and creates a climate of insecurity.

SAMAS said:
Then I heard about that "Southern"-themed wedding (particularly wanting a waitstaff made of entirely of black guys in white jackets). Holy sh--t, that was the purest example of ignorant offensiveness I have ever seen in my life.
I agree on that part of the controversy, but that was strangely a more obscure part of the story. Words are little relative to the actions that follow them.

SAMAS said:
Keep in mind that what passes for Black leadership nowadays lived through the civil rights movement, and a good couple decades thereafter of not-quite blatant BS in thankfully diminishing amounts. And frankly, the guys who did it (and/or their immediate successors) are still in charge.
Indeed we need new leadership on all fronts. It's a different world today and too many carry with them the politics of the past. The old guard is to blame for a lot of the problems staying problems.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Nope, nor do I share this 'white guilt' flu that's spreading.

Just like a sane person doesn't take credit for fighting wars their grandfathers were in, I don't take credit for my white trash honky paleface powdered wig ANGLO-SUXON ancestors capturing, beating and starving people of different skin color. Nor should black people keep martyring themselves after their great great great great great-grandfathers. That shit is mental. I'm not saying don't be proud of your history, but there's a difference between posterity and loading everyone aboard the guilt-trip express for something your predecessor went through, not the current generation.

Panthera

May 10, 2013
Yes. Historical context is kind of entirely irrelevant to whether or not one specific person is trying to express hatred of you.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Boss-Man and Cracker are extremely offensive, my ancestors didn't step foot in America until the beginning of the twentieth century. Yes I live in the South.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Speaking as an American. It's a racial slur and shouldn't be tolerated at work, if it is tolerated it's a hostile work environment. I am also legally required to report any such incident I eyewitness to my supervisor immediately. This is true regardless of race in question.

If someone I didn't know used that terminology on me, I would leave the area and presume they are hostile to me based on skin color. I would advise anyone else of any background to do the same. I would also never patronize that location for the rest of my life or interact with that person. I would advise others not to patronize that establishment or have dealings with that person.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
There was an expert vote on the matter recently and the result was pretty clear: 5 vs 1 in favour of the N word being far, far worse than 'cracker'.

That's 83.333%.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/0/06/Nigger_vs_cracker.jpg

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
I've been called a 'cracker' once, but it was the morning after the local gang decided to put bullets through all the windows of the white families in our apartment building. So yeah, I tend to react a little negatively to the word.

If I didn't have the memory associated with it, I would probably just raise my eyebrow and get completely condescending with the person that used it on me, because really, there are so many better insults out there. I would know. I use a ton of them.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
It seems like kind of a quaint slur to me. I've never heard it outside of comedy films. So...no, although I'm sure there's probably an ugly history behind it I'm oblivious to.

In fact, you could even call me a Cracka Ass Cracka and I wouldn't even mind. I'd probably be chuffed and feel cool.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
mastermustard said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Of course not. White people have never been oppressed or a minority, so it's much easier to just laugh off petty insults. However, for someone who has been oppressed, or is a minority, well.. I can't speak for them, but I could imagine it hitting much closer to home and having an actual impact.
I'm sorry - what? 'White' people were slaves in Egypt for nearly 3,000 years until the empire's collapse. I'm also fairly certain that they were a minority. There are several other societies that used people of European descent as slaves, and treated them horribly. Please brush up on your history before making inept statements like that in the future.
And why the fuck are you bringing up a thread that died over a year ago? If you want to discuss the matter, create a new thread.

mastermustard

Oct 12, 2014
[/quote]

And why the fuck are you bringing up a thread that died over a year ago? If you want to discuss the matter, create a new thread.[/quote]

Wooaah there buddy. Calm down. There's no need to curse. I didn't notice the date on the thread - I'm new here.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I think it's funny. I don't think I'd find it offensive even if someone tried to use it as such. "Negative" words only have power if you give it to them.