White People! Are you offended being called a "Cracka"?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Atrocious Joystick said:
The practice reminds me of the few times I have heard or read americans refer to random black guys with no relation to the US as "african americans."
Yes, that's incredibly stupid. The problem is that there are groups of black people in the US who get offended at being called "black" and insist on being called "African American" despite the fact that none of them have so much as seen Africa, much less being from it. So it ends up that Americans tiptoe around these groups and just call every black person "African American" to avoid being called racists.

It actually gets so ridiculous that if a white person from South Africa says he's African American because he's actually FROM AFRICA, people call that person a racist.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Been watching a lot of the George Zimmerman case. Last night I was flaberghasted when Erin Burnette of CNN referred to the word as a racial slur.

I'm sorry, but there is not a world where Cracka or Cracker could offend any white person. Right? I mean I'm pretty sure any of hear the word our minds do not jump to our skin colour but to delicious Saltine crackers. It's like calling someone Spaghetti.

Even honky... If I get called a honky the only thing my mind jumps is the old Jefferson's TV show.

Is there any white slur that has any bite at all? I mean I suppose "You impearalist swine whos anncestors kidnapped and enslaved my ancestors for years and then tried to pull that segration bullshit" but that'd be to hard to say in conversation.
Yes it is a racial slur. I used to live in the South West and it was mostly Latino people that used that particular slur against me. They didn't see a problem with it and continued to use it so I only referred to those people as "spics" to their faces. Needless to say, they were none too pleased.

In general if it aint a color it is a slur. I am white. I am not a cracker, whitey, or pale skin (and yes, I have been called all of those on many occasions.)

It also enrages me when people go around calling each other a slur and then get mad if you do. Like when black people refer to each other as "******". Isn't that a word you all were trying to disassociate from for a long time? Don't call each other that in front of me because I will, and have, join(ed) right in. As a white male, they are also usually none too pleased.

Hope this answers your question.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
If someone called me a cracker all they would succeed at doing is making me hungry.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
tippy2k2 said:
Well whether it offends you personally or not is negligible for it is a racial slur. I'm sure there are black people who would say that it's OK to call them "Nigga" but you'd be a fool to think that it's still not a racial slur. Same thing here.

Personally, I could care less and am not offended by it at all. I have never had anyone call me a cracka but I imagine I'd just roll my eyes at them if they did.
madwarper said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm sorry, but there is not a world where Cracka or Cracker could offend any white person. Right? I mean I'm pretty sure any of hear the word our minds do not jump to our skin colour but to delicious Saltine crackers.
Wrong.
It is very much a racial slur.

Even honky... If I get called a honky the only thing my mind jumps is the old Jefferson's TV show.
Yeah... The TV show where the main character used it as a racial slur.
I don't know man. I don't see it.

I feel it's like calling someone a tomato. It's just odd.
You sir are a ham sandwich.

What was your reaction to that? I'm guessing mild confusion, followed be indifference and an urge to laugh at the sheer ineptitude of the insult.

Because thats how I react to being called such things.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I think people would like cracker to be a slur, and have it be offensive. In terms of verbal offense based on race and race alone, whites are kind of invincible.

As it stands, I don't find being called a cracker offensive, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a white person that does.

If anything, it's just gonna make me want some Cheez-Its.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Abomination said:
Cartographer said:
Abomination said:
I also mentioned the French and Russians. They're all "white" but you'd be a fool if you couldn't tell the difference between them.
Wow, just Wow.
Talk about bigoted and ignorant.
Are you saying it's bigoted and ignorant to be able to tell the difference between someone from France and someone from Russia?
I'm saying it's bigoted to claim that all members of any nation are the same and ignorant to claim you can tell them apart, the implication of your post was such. Or are you saying that you somehow intrinsically know that Thierry Henri is French and Stanislav Lebamba is Russian, from looks alone?
How about Mo Farah, you can tell he's English how exactly?

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I didn't know they were insults. Really, I'd just not know I was being insulted, and carry on as before.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
I try not to be offended at words, I look for actual context instead. If it's said with malice, then the ntent means I probably should be offended.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Cartographer said:
Abomination said:
Cartographer said:
Abomination said:
I also mentioned the French and Russians. They're all "white" but you'd be a fool if you couldn't tell the difference between them.
Wow, just Wow.
Are you saying it's bigoted and ignorant to be able to tell the difference between someone from France and someone from Russia?
I'm saying it's bigoted to claim that all members of any nation are the same and ignorant to claim you can tell them apart, the implication of your post was such. Or are you saying that you somehow intrinsically know that Thierry Henri is French and Stanislav Lebamba is Russian, from looks alone?
I never said from looks alone.

There are, you know, languages, dialects and cultural differences.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Abomination said:
Cartographer said:
Abomination said:
Cartographer said:
Abomination said:
Wow, just Wow.
I never said from looks alone.

There are, you know, languages, dialects and cultural differences.
Then perhaps you should be more clear with what you write.

You start off by implying that American and English are races not nationalities, them make broad generalisations about how you can apparently tell people from different nations apart. In a thread talking about racism. And expect people to know that you mean by anything more than appearance?

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
It is a racial slur. The definition of 'racial slur' doesn't demand that people feel outraged by it, just that it is a derogatory term for people of a certain race.

I think whether its use actually offended me would be highly dependent on context. It might offend me if someone was being really hypocritical with it or really trying to make a statement, but I don't care when people just jokingly throw it around.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
I don't know man. I don't see it.

I feel it's like calling someone a tomato. It's just odd.
Colour-Scientist said:
Secondly, it's an "insult" that comes from white people being in a position of immense power, it doesn't have the same connotations as the word ****** does. ****** has it's roots in racial inferiority and subjugation.

Anyone who thinks that those two words are on a par with each other is pretty ignorant.
The roots of the word are irrelevant. What matters is the context and intent with which it is used right now.

You know, just because there were white people a few hundred years ago that had black people as slaves, that doesn't really justify any kind of racism directed towards whites in the modern day. Hell, even racism against blacks happening right now isn't justification for racism against whites, because the whole point of fighting bigotry is to NOT judge people based on the actions of other people they share a genetic phenotype with, right?

No, it's not okay to call someone a ******. It's not okay to call someone a cracker. It's not okay to call someone a raghead, a *****, or a haji. They're just words, but the fact you're even using them to describe people shows that you're a dick.

Nakts

Nov 13, 2012
So called offensive words only have power if people are offended, stop giving a shit, and they will all eventually, go away, like 99% of the other human-drama we have in the first world.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'd be less offended and more inclined to begin looking for where they parked their DeLorean.

Smeatza said:
I'm not saying you should be offended by the word, but it refers to the cracking of a whip that a slave master would do.

So yeah the reason it's an insult is because your ancestors were (supposedly) performing the persecution. And use of the word cracker implies that you also do so, or condone it in some way.
Really? Because I gotta say I always thought it was referring to being white as a saltine cracker[footnote]And possibly just as dry, flaky, and tasteless as one as well.[/footnote], and I love saltine crackers; they're the perfect companion for chicken noodle soup[footnote]And chili...mmmm...chili.[/footnote]. Out of curiosity, do you have any sources? I wish to edjumacate myself.

icemasteryeti

Feb 2, 2011
I wouldn't be offended to be called a cracka, probably because I'd be too busy laughing at whoever said it. To my friends and I racism is a bit of a joke, one of my friends is a self-proclaimed "oreo" black on the outside, white on the inside.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Cartographer said:
Then perhaps you should be more clear with what you write.

You start off by implying that American and English are races not nationalities, them make broad generalisations about how you can apparently tell people from different nations apart. In a thread talking about racism. And expect people to know that you mean by anything more than appearance?
I mean because discriminating people by nationality is just so much more acceptable than discriminating people by race.

But no, gotta call someone ignorant and bigoted first rather than ask them to clarify what they mean.

Gotta make sure those hair-triggers are still functional.