who else doesn't buy games on release day/week anymore?

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I don't, but that's got more to do with me not being able to afford everything I would want on launch day.
Plus I usually try to wait until I hear how well the game is received before seriously considering buying it.

nothtr

Jun 1, 2011
Very rarely; mostly, the occasions have been in the past when friends are all buying it and I'll miss out on a week or two or whatever of fun times. That said, last game I did that with was Blops and it was a bad move.

Otherwise, I'll sometimes buy a cross-platform game when it comes out on PC 8 months later like Limbo and Braid.

(As an aside.. I had a captcha with fractions and mathematical notations in it. Wish I would've taken a screenshot)

MeatsOfEvil

Dec 4, 2009
The only games I'm thinking of getting on release over the next year are Mass Effect 3 (can't hide in the spoiler-proof bunker forever) and Gears 3, if my friends are playing the multiplayer. It's only worth it get it early if the timing means something.

What's that? Gears 3 is out already? Guess it's just Mass Effect 3 then.

BigD00dManGuy

Apr 27, 2010
The GOTY edition is too tantalizing a thing to not wait for...in most cases, anyway. Especially given the current state of the economy and the continually prohibitive cost of games it is hard to swallow a constant calendar of new releases when I find that I can't easily finish the games I buy. When I was younger it was cool to do, but the game ends up being just as fun if I wait, especially if the game in question ships with a metric ton of bugs (like Fallout: New Vegas).

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Because most people are really damn broke and wait for a sale. That's what I'm doing with DX:HR and Dead Island. Skyrim, on the other hand...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I plan to get that Gold Wiimote and yeah, I guess there's a game that comes with it for $30 more.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I rarely buy games during their release week. Mostly because I don't really go to the store very much.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I almost never buy games on release date, even if I've been following the game since it was first announced.

My main reasons are cost, and a recent trend in surprisingly bad games despite the previews (Examples: Alpha Protocol, Epic Mickey, Elemental: War of Magic). Someone already mentioned the perks of getting Game of The Year editions, which, along with Collectors editions are very good reasons to wait before spending money on games.

(Seriously, I'm highly tempted to get Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for PS3, for less than half of what I paid for PC version, with all the DLC I could never afford already included)

eclipsed_chemistry

Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I try and limit the amount of new games I get until I get my backlog of games down to less than half a dozen. I will break that rule if it's something I REALLY want, like Battlefield 3. But today I thought about taking a flier on Rage, and then decided against it. Could have even gotten the $10 coupon on Amazon to use on something else, but I don't have the time right now to even play it, so I'm passing on that one.

So yeah, I guess number of games already in backlog and time to play are my two main factors.

eclipsed_chemistry

Dec 9, 2009
DanielDeFig said:
I almost never buy games on release date, even if I've been following the game since it was first announced.

My main reasons are cost, and a recent trend in surprisingly bad games despite the previews (Examples: Alpha Protocol, Epic Mickey, Elemental: War of Magic). Someone already mentioned the perks of getting Game of The Year editions, which, along with Collectors editions are very good reasons to wait before spending money on games.

(Seriously, I'm highly tempted to get Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for PS3, for less than half of what I paid for PC version, with all the DLC I could never afford already included)
I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol, despite the reviews, but I guess that's the difference. I went in with incredibly low expectations and it surprised me, which is always better than being excited about a game and finding out it's a full-priced, piece of sh**.

Oct 30, 2010
Not often. This year probably just Arkham City and The Old Republic (and Deux Ex, but I was suckered by the Team Fortress 2 items. I wasn't buying it for day 1 necessarily).

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I've certainly reduced the number of full price game purchases I make since getting into digital distribution. Prior to Steam sales, I'd pick up a full priced titles 6-10 times a year.

Now it's closer to 2-4 full priced titles a year. Of those I pick up on launch, they tend to have a really strong pre-order bonus to justify full price or they happen to release during a time when I'm particularly bored and need some new entertainment.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
I did before, but wheres the rush? I'm really exited for Skyrim, but what will happen if I get it a week after release? I still need to pick up Gears 3.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
the thing is reviewers get the game before realease date so I can still see reviews and get it on release date

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
For me it's a case of wether or not I like the developer enough.. Quite recentley I've bought games that have been out for quite a while. Speaking of this, Rage comes out in 3 hours....

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I'll get games on launch if they REALLY peak my interest: Skyrim is the one for this year, I think.

Pre-ordering is more regular for me, although I haven't done that for a while.

I *did* pre-order a music album though. It comes out in a week. I can't bloody wait!