Who here actually grew up with Dreamcast?

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
This is only for people who grew up with it when it was actually released and alive.
Please post a pic of video of your favorite game
Also, what has always been your personal beliefs on why it died? I blame the developers and the extreme amounts of money it took to program games for the system.

Mine are in order:
Powerstone 2
http://youtu.be/BbOeL4kRKZw

Crazy Taxi
http://youtu.be/w1drRBR0Mt4?t=1m22s

Dead or Alive 2
http://youtu.be/OaTT_r0Gmqs?t=1m40s

Quake 3 Arena
http://youtu.be/Jz36YLnp12E?t=1m32s

Ready 2 Rumble (both)
http://youtu.be/NrNrDRg_Fwc

ALmost forgot Soul Caliber
http://youtu.be/O_t5H7Zv57A?t=4m20s

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Absolutely! I loved the Dreamcast, and its death was untimely and completely unjust. I personally don't blame Sega - it was churning out a steady stream of games, many of them easy ports from its still-healthy arcade portfolio, and it was enjoying good third party support as well. What killed the console dead, in my opinion, was the hype generated about PS2 ("Toy Story quality graphics rendered in real time", anyone?) and DVD as a format.

My favourites:

Sonic Adventure (both)

House of the Dead 2

Silent Scope

Shenmue

Space Channel 5

Plus Jet Set Radio, Soul Calibur, Powerstone 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, Dance Dance Revolution 2 played on a bootleg converted PS1 dance mat... aah, those were the days.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Fellow Dreamcast owner when it came out here! Love that system so damned much, from the boot-up menu to the unique games on it, the Dreamcast was definitely an amazing system. For me, the games I had were:

Crazy Taxi- one of the only games my sister and I would play together. She never really liked games at all, while I'm really the only person in my family who does.

Crazy Taxi 2- same as the above reason.

Jet Grind Radio (Jet Set Radio)- I was a huge fan of this game. Loved the music, the artstyle, and the levels in general.

Alien Front Team Based Combat- I'm sure a lot of people don't know about this game. It had an arcade port as well, which was loads of fun. It's actually also the first console game to have online multiplayer in which you could also chat with people online in the game.

Sonic Adventure- Personally, I loved this game more than Adventure 2. I found that this game managed to maintain the feel of a Sonic the Hedgehog game when transitioning into 3D. Yeah there were some bugs, but the game was still great and is still one of my favorite 3D Sonic games to date.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica- Definitely the hardest of the old-style games, I always still enjoyed playing it when growing up, despite how much it scared me.

Typing of the Dead- Yep, I had that Dreamcast Keyboard peripheral when growing up, and this game holds the credit for actually teaching me how to type. Take that modern school system! :p

Rayman 2: The Great Escape- Definitely the best version of Rayman 2 when going back to them was the Dreamcast version. The graphics were gorgeous and the controller just felt so nice.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2- Another series that had better ports on the Dreamcast in terms of animations, graphics, and sound, the Dreamcast versions of the Tony Hawk series would be another one my sister and I would play, eventually transitioning into the PS2 version for 3, 4, Underground 1, and Underground 2.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Wouldn't say I grew up with it, as I was about 22 when it was released, but

Crazy Taxi was my favourite game by a country mile.
Then Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio
Metropolitan Street Racer (predecessor to Project Gotham) was a great racing game.
Also enjoyed Virtua-Tennis a lot.

(Sorry no pics as my internet is horribly slow at the moment)

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
A Dreamcast thread with no Phantasy Star, Toy Commander Online or Marvel vs Capcom 2? For shame
Those 3, plus Crazy Taxi, Power Stone and Sonic Adventure were pretty much all I played
I did have fun with Fur Fighters and one or two others though

As far as the death of the console, there was a lot going on, but I cant imagine Sega's weird release schedule for consoles (in between the PS1 and PS2) helped much

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Does it count if I was 10 when I got my Dreamcast? I know it's not exactly growing up with it but I was still introduced to it at a young and impressionable age.

To this day I am still a die hard loyal fan to the console and damn it did I ever have to fight the good fight for this thing when I was in school. Sega really damaged its reputation with us youngins.

Most of the time when I mentioned how awesome this system was when compared to the early days of the Xbox and PS2 most of the kids would always go "hah you mean that system that skips if a truck drives by a mile away? HAHAHA"...god damn it Sega you fucked this beauty.

Favorites:

Resident Evil Code V

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure

Soul Calibur

Virtual On

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I didn't spend nearly as much of my childhood with my Dreamcast as I spent with other consoles, like my SNES, N64, Xbox, etc but I did spend a few years of my pre-teen childhood with the Dreamcast. I didn't have a very expansive library as a kid but I had a handful of games that I played all the time such as the aforementioned Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 but do you know what I loved that nobody else really talks about? Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

Spawn: In the Demon's Hand is a 3D arena shooter/brawler thing. There are a plethora of characters from the Spawn series who you can chose to play as, well over a dozen arenas to play in, up to 4-player support and if you're playing alone (like I did) there are even goal-based missions that you can play. I can't remember if it was a true single-player campaign or a true story mode but I remember the game being surprisingly deep for a licensed game. If you still have a Dreamcast, this is definitely a game to keep an eye out for, especially if you're a fan of Spawn.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
I was about 19 when the Dreamcast released. I never bought one myself, but my best mate did. I still remember the day he came over with the Dreamcast in his backpack and we hooked it up to my telly. My jaws simply dropped.. I couldn't believe how good Shenmue looked.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I didn't own one, but my friend did and we would play it all the time. I remember being blown away by the graphics when he showed me Sonic Adventures 2, I'd never seen anything like it.

But we played Powerstone, Soul Calibur, and RE: Code Veronica all the time, good times. Was a shame that Dreamcast never really took off, it was way ahead of its time.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I don't remember when it came out, nor do I remember asking for it in particular, but nevertheless, I do remember having one that my parents bought for me from pretty much as early as I could remember, so at least since I was 5-6 years old.

I don't think I had very many games for it though, I remember having Sonic Adventure 1 and Jet Set Radio which my cousin got for me for like my 8-10th birthday, and eventually Sonic Adventure 2 when I was 10-11. I also played on the Demo Disk a lot, the one with trial sized versions of some of the DC's more popular games. Other than that, I don't recall having any other games for the system really, maybe one called Centipede, but I'm not sure if I am thinking of the right game or system, and the same thing for a boxing game I used to play with my dad a lot, which was for the gamecube too, so I am not actually sure if I had it for the DreamCast or not.

Like I said, I had the thing since I was 5-6, so my memories of it are pretty blurry, but I do remember liking the system at least, but I was completely unaware of the circumstances surrounding its failure, or even its failure in and of itself, as I had probably already comfortably moved onto the gamecube by that point.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I never owned one, but I remember it as the first 3D console to have characters that didn't look like jagged polygons, or at least I can say that it was the first console where I ever SAW 3D represented so smoothly.

I remember thinking, "Ok, we've gone from colored blocks to sprites, and then sprites to 3D polygons. What comes after that?" Then someone brought a Dreamcast into school and I went, "Nice. Surely graphics will ever look smoother than that."

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I didnt grow up with it. I had ataris, spectrums an comadore 64s as a child but had a DC in my 20s.

No love for skies of arcadia? Sky pirates people.

Street fighter alpha 3 was one of the best fighters ever made.

UFC was awesome too.

Best was powerstone 2. Its the game smash brothers brawl wishes it was.

I think the DC was just ahead of its time being a 3d online console. The titles were amazing, if a lttle niche in places.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I didnt grow up with it I am to old for that but later I did buy one purely for Soul Calibur after a friend showed it me because it was that amazing. I did get a few other games for it but I spent more time on Soul Calibur than all the other games put together many times over.

The Dreamcast suffered badly because of lack of trust in Sega. After the Mega Drive they had a slew of consoles and addons that frankly just confused people and they dropped support pretty fast which did not go down well. Also they were suffering massively at the hands of Sony who just destroyed them throughout the Playstation X era, when the Dreamcast came out the PS2 was announced as not that far off so many just decided to wait. Great games wont save your brand if nobody plays them because people dont trust you to not just prematurely drop support for the console.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Ah man, the Dreamcast was an amazing little system.

My favorite games:
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

Grandia 2

Skies of Arcadia

Reasons the system died? Poor management from Sega's side and the impending release of the PS2.

mrbonzai211

Mar 30, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I didn't spend nearly as much of my childhood with my Dreamcast as I spent with other consoles, like my SNES, N64, Xbox, etc but I did spend a few years of my pre-teen childhood with the Dreamcast. I didn't have a very expansive library as a kid but I had a handful of games that I played all the time such as the aforementioned Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 but do you know what I loved that nobody else really talks about? Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

Spawn: In the Demon's Hand is a 3D arena shooter/brawler thing. There are a plethora of characters from the Spawn series who you can chose to play as, well over a dozen arenas to play in, up to 4-player support and if you're playing alone (like I did) there are even goal-based missions that you can play. I can't remember if it was a true single-player campaign or a true story mode but I remember the game being surprisingly deep for a licensed game. If you still have a Dreamcast, this is definitely a game to keep an eye out for, especially if you're a fan of Spawn.
HOLY CRAP that game was awesome! I completely forgot it existed!

Brain Tumor

Sep 4, 2014
I bought it day one on 9/9/99 for Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur remained my favorite game on the system for the whole time it was popular.

What killed the Dreamcast was the Sony hype train in regards to the PS2, and mostly, the mismanagement of SEGA by both the American and Japanese HQs. Because they acted like separate entities and couldn't agree on anything, is why the spent all the money they had trying to bounce back from the Saturn failure.

Im too tired to post pics right now, but my favorites were:

Soul Calibur
RUSH 2049
Crazy Taxi
Elemental Gimmick Gear