Who is the Best Character in Dragon Age--period?

mythlover20

Jul 8, 2010
Joseph Alexander said:
Christopher N said:
Tough one...I'm gonna say Shale. I'd love to see him attempt stand up comedy

"So...Bird tried to drop one on me today..."
shale is like samus in a way, i'll let you find out what way.
Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one who saw that, lol.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Morrigan, Varric, Shale. The three most sarcastic, witty and cynical characters in the entire series. And I fucking love every moment with them.

..With a minor mention of Alistair if you play a human male noble, for a hint of *sniff* bro-mance. A bro-mance to even rival the famous Marcus/Dom pairing of Gears of War..

Oh, and Leliana. But only her voice and her appearance. The obsessive fundamentalist Chantry girl routine can just get lost.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
LittleBlondeGoth said:
Another vote for Alistair from me. Just about everything he said either had me in stitches or going 'aww'. He was very well written and developed, plus Steve Valentine's VA for him was excellently done. Besides, he had classic lines such as "swooping is bad" (the delivery on that alone...)
This lady pretty much said all I need to say. Another vote for Alastair, because he's kind of perfect....
I can't even play through the game without romancing him...poor Zevran.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Alistair is the best to me too. Great performance by his VA.

Of course, some people can't stand it when a character any emotion, even when it's appropriate (like...sadness when the your order and the closest thing you had to a father dies. Or like anger when a responsibility is thrust upon you and no one cares that you don't want it).

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I vote for Sir Pounce-a-lot too, so cute. X_X

Also I like Alastair too, he is my DA:O's best friend, I hope I speak to him again while being my main DA:O character again.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Joseph Alexander said:
Christopher N said:
Tough one...I'm gonna say Shale. I'd love to see him attempt stand up comedy

"So...Bird tried to drop one on me today..."
shale is like samus in a way, i'll let you find out what way.
I know Shale is a girl but I refer to her as a him anyway. Just easier for me

Skybluedemon

Mar 3, 2011
Besides Alistair (who I adore) It would be Sten. If Sten was romance-able in dragon age one, I would be on him in a second.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
Oghren - that my dwarf right there, if i could take any character with me into battle in ANY fantasy setting, Ogy boy would defo be in every line up. He's got my back. Is funny, is tough and is hella loyal.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
RatheMcGrath said:
I gotta go with Varric, though Morrigan is a close second.
Agreed.

I don't think these two stand far above other characters in the series either. Leliana, Allistar, and Shale are deserving of mention in my eyes as well.

Prismatic Baron

Aug 24, 2010
I'm confused. People liked Morrigan? She makes me dread trying to reply the game.

I'm also shocked by the few votes for Varric. Even when I was a rogue, Varric was always on my team to make the journey suck less. Too bad you cannot shag him, since he is the narrator... I like to believe he just didn't want to tell the Templar lady about our sexy affair ;)

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
DarkishFriend said:
Casual Shinji said:
Alistair

He was just great fun as a character.

I would've liked Morrigan if she wasn't such a self-absorbed ***** who reveled in her own nihilism, i.e. teenaged mentality.

I also really liked Wynne, but maybe that's because I have a thing for undead gilfs.
The more I think about it though, it makes sense for her character. I still hate her for it but at least it isn't in there for kicks. Since she has grown up with little social interaction and never been part of a real group she doesn't know how to function outside of survival and therefore bases all actions on calculated risks about how it increases her chances for survival. Kinda like Jak from ME2. That is why I prefer her romance path, I believe it actually causes her to mature a lot. Especially because if you get it high enough she starts to develop extremely serious feelings but doesn't know how to deal with them because she's so naive, even though she'a a grown woman. Lol, maybe that's a good example of having sex before being socially adjusted for it.
I actually kind of liked her backstory, and how she ultimately fitted in with the overarching plot.

It was just her constant moping and complaining whenever I was helping people out that annoyed the crap out of me. And this behaviour didn't exactly make her come across as an experienced, all powerful witch, but more as some 15-year old goth girl who doesn't feel accepted by her "norm" family.

This is the same reason why I loathed Jack from Mass Effect 2... Except 10 times more then I ever did Morrigan.
Exactly how I feel about both of them. Morrigan always angered me cuz I needed her on good runs but she always bitched about my decisions. At least with Jack we have evidence of an awful childhood, even though it is biased towards her pain and torture. Even changing her memories. While Morrigan hasn't been tortured or experimented on. She just lived in the wilds.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
As far as personality is concerned, I loved Leliana. It's pissing me off that her romance is so easy to screw up.

As far as in game fighting ability, probably Shale. Highest constitution, high fighting power, long-range capability.

In DA2, as far as personality, Merril's bashfulness was fun, but Varric was just always fun no matter what was going on.

As far as fighting capability, it has to be Anders. He can resurrect the party. You're left with only ander's, and a quick mind blast and revival and a hopeless situation just turned into a sure victory.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
Loghain.

He started out as a boring generic villain, but got a lot more intriguing when you realised that he genuinely believed he was doing what he was doing for the right reasons. Given the king's idiot actions, hell I even agreed with him. Return to Ostagar gave even more back story to his motivations and if you

invited him to join the Grey Wardens there was a lot of really interesting interaction, especially with the other characters. Given Alastair annoys the hell out of me, he is my usual choice at that part!

Always nice to have morally dubious characters in games, and ones who aren't the obvious candidates for heroes.

Allevil

Nov 11, 2009
Bebus said:
Loghain.

He started out as a boring generic villain, but got a lot more intriguing when you realised that he genuinely believed he was doing what he was doing for the right reasons. Given the king's idiot actions, hell I even agreed with him. Return to Ostagar gave even more back story to his motivations and if you

invited him to join the Grey Wardens there was a lot of really interesting interaction, especially with the other characters. Given Alastair annoys the hell out of me, he is my usual choice at that part!

Always nice to have morally dubious characters in games, and ones who aren't the obvious candidates for heroes.
Agreed. Loghain was a remarkably well written character, and my favourite from Origins. I do love it when you can't tell if a character is a hero or a villain.

Its the same reason my favourite from DA2 was...

Anders.