Who needs Bronies? Where my Power Puff Guys at?

RThaiRThai

Jan 13, 2010
Soxafloppin said:
While we'er talking about PPG..

Was Buttercup supposed to be a Lesbian? I all ways got that vibe from her.
No, she had a crush on Ace in the episode "Buttercrush", which was hilariously alluded to in "Aspirations".

Bubbles: The Gang Green Gang? You wished for them?

Buttercup: No!!

Bubbles: I thought you were over them.

Buttercup: Why do you got to bring up old stuff?

Oh, Buttercup.

Actually, now that I think of it, City of Clipsville shows them all having crushes on the Rowdyruff Boys when they went into the future and became teenagers and gave up fighting crime to hang out at the mall.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Aidinthel said:
I believe you'll find significant overlap between FiM and PPG fans. I certainly watched Powerpuff Girls as a kid, and it never actually occurred to me that it was supposed to be a girls' show. I mean seriously, that show was so violent I still can't believe anyone would make fun of you for it.
I always thought it was aimed more at making fun of Japanese anime. However, we did have a theory that Samurai Jack eventually settled down from the whole time traveling and became Professor Utonium.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I watched PPG. I liked how different it was, and the villians (while still cartoony) were scary enough but didn't cause nightmares.

Buttercup will always be my favorite character from my childhood.

Another show I'm embarassed that I enjoy is the Winx show about teenage girls who turn into fairies. I hear that it recently is being re-released or someone picked the project back up.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
ravenshrike said:
LilithSlave said:
ravenshrike said:
Define "mature" and why it is important.
Among other things PPG never had an intelligent being trapped in solitary confinement for over 1000 years while still conscious and come out of it perfectly sane. Off the top of my head what the leader of the ponies did to her sister is by any worthy definition utterly evil. Yet it is never addressed by the show.
To be fair, Luna was trying to kill everyone. Besides, the sisters seem to be immortal, so a 1000 year punishment might be quite a short time to them. And who said time passes the same when you're entombed in moon? It might pass more swiftly.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I never watched PPG. However, since getting into MLP, I've been meaning to look it up.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
Fbuh said:
Aidinthel said:
I believe you'll find significant overlap between FiM and PPG fans. I certainly watched Powerpuff Girls as a kid, and it never actually occurred to me that it was supposed to be a girls' show. I mean seriously, that show was so violent I still can't believe anyone would make fun of you for it.
I always thought it was aimed more at making fun of Japanese anime. However, we did have a theory that Samurai Jack eventually settled down from the whole time traveling and became Professor Utonium.
The two shows have Lauren Faust in common. she has done work on both of them

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
...you guys do know that Lauren Faust worked on The Powerpuff Girls as well as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, right?

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
I actually didn't watch PPG, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. Coming from MLP it's kind of the wrong way around, but who cares?

Redingold said:
Bhaalspawn said:
sir.rutthed said:
So I just started watching MLP:FIM and it reminded me of another awesome little girl's cartoon from back in my day: Power Puff Girls. I used to love that show when I was a kid, and I got all kinds of Hell for it in school. So, anyone else watch a show you should have been embarrassed about when you were a kid? Power Puff Girls in particular?
You know both those shows had the same Producer, right?
No. They didn't. I'm getting slightly sick of seeing Faust get all the praise for shows like PPG and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. She didn't create or produce them, her husband did. She may have had an influence, but please quit showering her with praise for them. Praise her husband, Craig McCracken, instead.
Wikipedia agrees, Faust's name isn't even on the PPG page ... so I'm kind of confused, what role did Faust actually play in those two series? Why is she always handled as producer/creator if that's not true?
She said in a interwiev that she took a lot of the crew from both series for MLP FIM, so the might be the overlap.

Redingold

Mar 28, 2009
Snoozer said:
I actually didn't watch PPG, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. Coming from MLP it's kind of the wrong way around, but who cares?

Redingold said:
Bhaalspawn said:
sir.rutthed said:
So I just started watching MLP:FIM and it reminded me of another awesome little girl's cartoon from back in my day: Power Puff Girls. I used to love that show when I was a kid, and I got all kinds of Hell for it in school. So, anyone else watch a show you should have been embarrassed about when you were a kid? Power Puff Girls in particular?
You know both those shows had the same Producer, right?
No. They didn't. I'm getting slightly sick of seeing Faust get all the praise for shows like PPG and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. She didn't create or produce them, her husband did. She may have had an influence, but please quit showering her with praise for them. Praise her husband, Craig McCracken, instead.
Wikipedia agrees, Faust's name isn't even on the PPG page ... so I'm kind of confused, what role did Faust actually play in those two series? Why is she always handled as producer/creator if that's not true?
She said in a interwiev that she took a lot of the crew from both series for MLP FIM, so the might be the overlap.
She was a storyboard artist for Powerpuff Girls. She did quite a bit more work on Foster's, writing, character creation and so on, but still nothing special. I think the internet forgets this by way of general mass stupidity.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
I likeds girls shows when i was young. I made no effort to hid it. In life you are who you are. What damn say does anyone else have in it if you arent hurting anyone?

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
MY CHILDHOOD IS RUSHING BACK AT ME LIKE A TIDAL WAVE OF RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINE.
Also, we forgot to ask "is the yellow one autistic?" It's obligatory in pony threads to ask that question.
Also also, I haven't been on the Escapist in quite a while. Good to see the pony virus has spread >=D
On-Topic: I loved the PPG as a kid, and currently love FiM as a teen. Also, posting all the Lauren Faust credits I know (The More You Know):
-Cats Don't Dance: character animator, worked on Sawyer
-Iron Giant: I think storyboarder/animator?
-PowerPuff Girls: Not quite sure if she had an official position, but she was the executive producer's wife, so she probably helped the show along a fair amount.
-Foster's Home: See above.
-My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic: Executive Producer. Essentially, oversaw the entire friggin' thing.

Redingold

Mar 28, 2009
Yomandude said:
MY CHILDHOOD IS RUSHING BACK AT ME LIKE A TIDAL WAVE OF RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINE.
Also, we forgot to ask "is the yellow one autistic?" It's obligatory in pony threads to ask that question.
Also also, I haven't been on the Escapist in quite a while. Good to see the pony virus has spread >=D
On-Topic: I loved the PPG as a kid, and currently love FiM as a teen. Also, posting all the Lauren Faust credits I know (The More You Know):
-Cats Don't Dance: character animator, worked on Sawyer
-Iron Giant: I think storyboarder/animator?
-PowerPuff Girls: Not quite sure if she had an official position, but she was the executive producer's wife, so she probably helped the show along a fair amount.
-Foster's Home: See above.
-My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic: Executive Producer. Essentially, oversaw the entire friggin' thing.
If you like ponies, feel free to join the Friendship is Magic group.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic

As for Faust, she was a storyboard artist on the Powerpuff Girls, and a writer, animator and artist for Foster's.

EDIT: Oh and for the love of god do not turn on chat notifications should you join the group.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
sir.rutthed said:
When I was a kid, I watched about every cartoon out there. Power Puff Girls was a brilliant show to where I even went to see the movie spite getting picked on by my Dad for seeing a 'girls' movie and all. But, if you love something then why hide it? It's a part of you, thus that is what makes you special.

Courage the Cowardly Dog was among the best during my childhood years honestly, even though it's no embarrassment to watch. Really admire it no doubt to this day for it's morals and humor. Now, I just can't get enough of MLP. Best show that ever existed in my opinion, but truth be told I will never forget the other cartoons that enlightened my heart... those cartoons raised me in ways that no one else could foretell unless seeing it for themselves.
Courage is the closest thing you get to horror directed for kids without excluding humour. I loved that show.

OT: Powerpuff Girls was pretty good, though I have problems seeing how that is a show directed only towards girls or young kids for that matter. There's some satire if you look for it that works on different levels than what most kids can grasp. It's also one of the few children show that shows the bad guys losing teeth and start bleeding when they get beat up. The show is silly, the main characters are cute. It looks girly at first sight, but only at first sight. My view might be somewhat skewed though. I grew up with only 2 channels and I soon learned not to be picky about what I watched. That feeling might have followed me when we got more channels.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I like both. I didn't get any crap for liking Powerpuff Girls back in the day, but I am getting some for being a Brony. Don't really see why.

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
Aidinthel said:
There's a reason for that. The creator of PPG (Craig McCraken) is married to the creator of MLP:FiM (Lauren Faust)