Who should be the next Dragon Rider, and who should become king?

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
For those of you who have been reading the Inheritance series, I was wondering what your opinions were. I had this discussion with a friend a while back, and I can't remember who he said concerning the next Rider.

I think Elva should become the next Rider based on the nature of her curse. It sort of makes her a great candidate

As seen above, use spoiler warnings if you think they are appropriate, as they may not always be.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the matter of King: I have no tangible idea as to who it should be, but I don't want it to be Nasuada

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Hmm hadn't thought of Elva. I'll probably be boring and go with Arya, Orik or Roran.
Murtagh will probably change to the good side, then promptly die.

I'm wondering who his romance will be with.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Hmm hadn't thought of Elva. I'll probably be boring and go with Arya, Orik or Roran.

Arya's a good call, but Orik, being a dwarf and all may not exactly work. But what if he i the one who becomes king? you know, the whole righting-your-wrongs sort of thing. That might work. As for love interests, I am clueless. There are not many other women who would be a logical match. Not yet at least.

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
If it's not Roran, I'll shit a brick. Not because I don't want it to be him, but come on...the author (can't remember the name) isn't exactly known for his originality

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
clzark said:
If it's not Roran, I'll shit a brick. Not because I don't want it to be him, but come on...the author (can't remember the name) isn't exactly known for his originality
I know exactly what you are referring to, and which LOTR or Star Wars character would Roran be then (I think Han Solo, but I don't know about LOTR)

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Well my guess for what happens is probably one of the most common, and quite likely considering everything:
  • Roran becomes the next rider, though Arya is a possibility
    The last dragon is green or white.
    Arya realises that Eragon won't stop trying to hump her leg and falls in love with him and all that nauseating stuff
    Murtagh is freed from Galbatorix's mind control, only to promptly be killed in either a heroic sacrifice, or the first few seconds of confronting Galbatorix.
    After Galbatorix is defeated, Nasuada becomes queen of everything, the dwarves get more land, the elves go back to their homeland and take Eragon with them, or he goes to the humans' ancestral home.
    Angela will continue to be batshit crazy, and nobody would have it any other way

What I have no clue about is what the hell the Rock of Kuthian is, but Eragon will say his true name to it and it will open and inside he will find something that he needs to defeat Galbatorix.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I don't think it could be Elva. I got the impression that Christopher Paolini was cutting her out of the rest of the books when Eragon cured her.

Roran seems like a good bet, what with Paolini's famed originality and all...

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
laststandman said:
clzark said:
I know exactly what you are referring to, and which LOTR or Star Wars character would Roran be then (I think Han Solo, but I don't know about LOTR)
Yeah, he's the Solo of Inheritance, in my opinion. Wouldn't know what LOTR character he'd be, either. Guess Sam? Dunno, it's been such a long time since I've read those. I feel like I should be clear here, though, I don't hate Roran. It'd be awesome if he were the next dragon rider, even if it's really predictable. I found it funny how Roran became such a bad-ass after being so lame in Eldest.

Deviltongue

Feb 2, 2008
WrongSprite said:

Orik is out of the Question, The dwarves weren't in the pact between riders and dragons(YOU'RE A NERD!). I think it will either be Arya, Roran or Roran's Wife(Whose name escapes me) because those 3 would be the most interesting.

As for King... I dunno.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
Roran became a badass at the very end of Eldest, when he brained the Twins with his hammer. Him and that hammer actually persuaded me into using hammers in most RPGs

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Deviltongue said:
WrongSprite said:

Orik is out of the Question, The dwarves weren't in the pact between riders and dragons(YOU'RE A NERD!). I think it will either be Arya, Roran or Roran's Wife(Whose name escapes me) because those 3 would be the most interesting.

As for King... I dunno.
laststandman said:
WrongSprite said:

Arya's a good call, but Orik, being a dwarf and all may not exactly work. But what if he i the one who becomes king? you know, the whole righting-your-wrongs sort of thing. That might work. As for love interests, I am clueless. There are not many other women who would be a logical match. Not yet at least.
To what you two have said about dwarves not being able to ride, that's would what make it interesting. The first dwarf rider!

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
clzark said:
If it's not Roran, I'll shit a brick. Not because I don't want it to be him, but come on, Christopher Paolini (What a silly name) isn't exactly known for his originality
Yeah, I totally agree, if you actually read the Pern books by Anne McAfferey then I think the name "Eragon" is actually used, though it does have an apostrophe in there somewhere I think.
anyway, Paolini "borrows" far more ideas than is usually permitted from that seires, and everything else is cliched and unintentionally, and badly trope saturated.
It doesn't mean the series isn't fun to read, it's just a little bit unoriginal, to put it lightly.

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
laststandman said:
Roran became a badass at the very end of Eldest, when he brained the Twins with his hammer. Him and that hammer actually persuaded me into using hammers in most RPGs
True, that was pretty awesome. You know what I care about the most? Remember that old guy who was Angela's teacher? The guy who always has a question he's trying to answer or something like that? I hope that wasn't just a random encounter and that it will actually amount to something

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
I think Roran should based on his personality towards other beings. He doesn't like to kill for one he keeps track of the amount so he can pretty much be mad at himself for being forced to kill. Second he's a great leader hands down. And I GUESS being Eragon's brother counts for something. But then all 3 brothers ( Shutup half brothers count ) Would have dragons and that's just weird.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
o0pwnman0o said:
I think Roran should based on his personality towards other beings. He doesn't like to kill for one he keeps track of the amount so he can pretty much be mad at himself for being forced to kill. Second he's a great leader hands down. And I GUESS being Eragon's brother counts for something. But then all 3 brothers ( Shutup half brothers count ) Would have dragons and that's just weird.
But Paolini could rip off of Star Wars and just say that Rider blood runs in their family or some crap like that, so it could work.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
laststandman said:
o0pwnman0o said:
But Paolini could rip off of Star Wars and just say that Rider blood runs in their family or some crap like that, so it could work.
Oooh good point.
clzark said:
If it's not Roran I will take his brick and absorb it up my asshole.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
The one flaw with Elva being the rider is the fact that the dragon is green, and she's all...purple-y.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
o0pwnman0o said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking, all the brothers (cousin whatever) is a bit weird... I would think the third one would be an elf seeing as the current two are human and the elves are pretty miffed about not having a dragon rider yet.

Also it would make sense if it was Arya in that case. None of the other elves really have any character development to speak of. I too think that Murtagh will die some heroes death which means there will be only two dragons. He's already established that Saphira wants some dragon love so the third would have to be a boy dragon and then they'd be some awful dragon/human team couple thing.

Roran could probably be King though. He's gone through the trials and they'll probably decide that being a dragon rider Eragons not allowed too because of some over down power/corruption theme.