Who should Disney trust with Star Wars if they drop EA?

Sep 24, 2008
Ravenbom said:
Also, I really wouldn't mind a Star Wars skinned FTL or FTL/roguelike type game, so Subset Games is another choice.
Got curious and looked around to find a fan has made a mod around the concept

https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16819

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Catfood220 said:
Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog have shown time and again with the Uncharted series that they can do whizz bang shooty fun with epic looking set pieces, as well as having quiet and subdued story bits with pretty graphics. I think they would be the perfect fit for the Star Wars games. Well they would be if they weren't owned by Sony and the only people who got to play it would be PlayStation owners.
God damn it, if Naughty Dog could take over Visceral's Star Wars game...

Vanilla ISIS said:
If they'll drop EA, they'll go with Blizzard or Activision because Disney is all about the money.
Activision, maybe, Blizzard, no.

I mean, that would have poetic irony in that Blizzard once talked with LucasArts about making a Star Wars RTS before settling on StarCraft (which has taken its share of inspiration from Star Wars regardless), but Blizzard hasn't worked on a licenced game since Justice League Task Force in 1995. They're hardly going to start now.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Windcaler said:
Honestly, they should open up the license to everyone not just one developer or publisher. The reason why I say that is well get a larger variety of star wars games in the long run. What did EA give us with a huge license? Two battlefront games. Thats it. One kind of game and both are inferior to the one that was released years ago on the original xbox and ps2. We didnt get a new knights of the old replubic, we didnt even get a new series. Its easy to say thats because EA is creativly bankrupt but I cant stand here and honestly say that any one developer should have sole access to the star wars license when everyone could make good games from it.
This. But if I have to choose, here's the list of all of the devs I would trust in order of preference:

Croteam
Larian Studios
id Software
IO Interactive
New World Interactive (Insurgency)
Cyan Worlds (Myst)
Frontier Developments (Elite Dangerous)
Telltale Games
CD Projekt Red

The only reason why CD Projekt Red is so low on the list is because I don't want them to put any nudity/cringy sex scenes in Star Wars. You may think differently, but feel free to leave a comment down below... In your ass.

KayeFaye said:
*Ahem*

OBSIDIAN. RAVEN. Peeps who have made good Star Wars games before.
Obsidian is questionable. Tyranny was truly something else but Obsidian also often have a tendency to make some baffling decisions during dev and sometimes their stuff is pretty buggy.

Raven's owned by Activision so they're sadly not a viable dev house anymore. And besides. I'm sure most if not all of the old devs are gone now.

Oh and Naughty Dog is owned by Sony who I'm also leery about.

Sep 24, 2008
Disney is the most protective mother you will ever see. Especially with their favorite (read: Money producing) children. They prevented Day Care Centers from displaying their images in Florida [https://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp]. They want their brand to be pristine and under their control at all times. They think the only way they will be able to do that is making sure their rights go to limited groups.

I would be surprised if they would give rights to multiple people. But crazier things have happened.

Arnoxthe1 said:
KayeFaye said:
*Ahem*

Obsidian is questionable. Tyranny was truly something else but Obsidian also often have a tendency to make some baffling decisions during dev and sometimes their stuff is pretty buggy.

Raven's owned by Activision so they're sadly not a viable dev house anymore. And besides. I'm sure most if not all of the old devs are gone now.

For the longest period of time, I thought you guys were yelling at me to pay attention, and then saying that my ideas were questionable. And then sense came to me.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
KayeFaye said:
*Ahem*

For the longest period of time, I thought you guys were yelling at me to pay attention, and then saying that my ideas were questionable. And then sense came to me.
Stop Jonesing around Obsidian and get to work making those amazing Star Wars games!

,)

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Hawki said:
Why do they have to hand it out to just one publisher/developer? Either:

a) They hold the licence, developers come to them with an idea, Disney approves it or not.

b) They develop ideas, hand it off to developers/bid it.

Seemed to work well enough in the past, when Star Wars games came from numerous sources.
Windcaler said:
Honestly, they should open up the license to everyone not just one developer or publisher. The reason why I say that is well get a larger variety of star wars games in the long run. What did EA give us with a huge license? Two battlefront games. Thats it. One kind of game and both are inferior to the one that was released years ago on the original xbox and ps2. We didnt get a new knights of the old replubic, we didnt even get a new series. Its easy to say thats because EA is creativly bankrupt but I cant stand here and honestly say that any one developer should have sole access to the star wars license when everyone could make good games from it.
This right here. If you look at all the Star Wars games, a lot of them came from different developers and they were better for it. Factor 5 with Rogue Squadron, Pandemic with Battlefront, Bioware with KOTOR, Petroglyph with Star Wars Empire at War, etc.

Such a huge variety of games ranging from shooters to RPG to RTS and more. It was awesome! If there was one thing George Lucas definitely got right, it's that he was really good about letting all kinds of developers make Star Wars games. I would say that Disney should resurrect LucasArts or make their own equivalent studio and then do exactly what LucasArts did back in the day where LucasArts was a developer of Star Wars games, but also a publisher for other studios to make Star Wars games. By handing it off to EA exclusively (or any other single studio), it limits the number and variety of games that can get made.

I mean imagine what could happen if a company like say Bethesda was allowed to make a Fallout 4 style Star Wars game? Or if some other company made a Halo style Clone Wars game? What about an Assassin's Creed style bounty hunter game on Coruscant? Or a Need For Speed Underground 2 style podracing game? None of that could ever happen if one company has an exclusivity deal.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Saelune said:
Gee, I dunno...LucasArts?
/thread

Obsidian is an obvious pick. But I'd kill for a turn based RPG like Divinity Original Sin 2 set in Star Wars universe. So Larian Studios would also be a good pick. Basically, I think that Disney shouldn't give exclusive rights to one studio. They should pick and choose different studios based on what the studio does best and then let them do what they do best.
CDPR would probably make a great open world story driven Star Wars game.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Hawki said:

a) They hold the licence, developers come to them with an idea, Disney approves it or not.

Seemed to work well enough in the past, when Star Wars games came from numerous sources.
spartandude said:
Don't give exclusive rights a single publisher/dev team. Let people present a game idea and if they like it let them make that specific game.
Hawki said:

Jingle Fett said:
This right here. If you look at all the Star Wars games, a lot of them came from different developers and they were better for it. Factor 5 with Rogue Squadron, Pandemic with Battlefront, Bioware with KOTOR, Petroglyph with Star Wars Empire at War, etc.

Such a huge variety of games ranging from shooters to RPG to RTS and more. It was awesome! If there was one thing George Lucas definitely got right, it's that he was really good about letting all kinds of developers make Star Wars games. I would say that Disney should resurrect LucasArts or make their own equivalent studio and then do exactly what LucasArts did back in the day where LucasArts was a developer of Star Wars games, but also a publisher for other studios to make Star Wars games. By handing it off to EA exclusively (or any other single studio), it limits the number and variety of games that can get made.

I mean imagine what could happen if a company like say Bethesda was allowed to make a Fallout 4 style Star Wars game? Or if some other company made a Halo style Clone Wars game? What about an Assassin's Creed style bounty hunter game on Coruscant? Or a Need For Speed Underground 2 style podracing game? None of that could ever happen if one company has an exclusivity deal.
Cast another vote here. The whole idea of an exclusivity deal was always completely and utterly stupid, all it did was ensure that Disney ended up with far less money licensing it out and much less great or even decent games, even if Disney had a brain and given the IP exclusively to someone who might actually make good use out of it rather than an obvious turdblossom from EA. Sure, it's going to result in mountains of terrible Star Wars games but that's always was the case before and they just got weeded out while we still had plenty of decent to excellent games to work off of. I would gladly pay the price of mountain of crap Star Wars games for a mountain of decent to great Star Wars games.

Avnger said:
An Elder Scrolls/Fallout open-world Star Wars game would be amazing too.
I have been wanting a Star Wars open world along the same lines as what Bethesda makes for a long long time and even had quite a few ideas for how it could work. If that every actually happened I would LOSE MY SHIT and provided they learned their lesson and drop that stupid paid mod crap they've been doing lately soon and for good all is forgiven.
Seth Carter said:
CDPR or Bethesda both seem to not really focus on multiple projects, or really deliver on schedule, which Disney is going to want to alongside their movie releases (Although on Bethesdas side the idea of an Arkane jedi/sith game is kind of interesting, it seems somewhat in their wheelhouse).
Which is why it's probably best if either get permission or to use the Star Wars IP or it becomes available for everybody to license to make a game in the style of the CDPR's Witcher or Bethesda's Fallout/Elder Scrolls that the game has nothing to do with any of the movies, just have it take place at an indeterminate and vague time that barely if at all has bearing on any of the events of the movies in any real way and let the player try to figure out when it might be happening. This way they can make a complete and competently made game over the course of a few years instead of a year or two to rush it out to coincide with a particular movie release. Besides, since Disney plans to be making Star Wars movies of some sort just about every year they can just make that vague time game and whenever it's near finished spend a year inserting elements from whatever movie they happen to be releasing at the time if Disney really wants them to release something at the same time as one of their movies.
Samtemdo8 said:
I just wish for a Single Player version of Star Wars: The Old Republic, and no I mean I want the aesthetic, lore, Race/Class options and open world gameplay of SWTOR as a Single Player game than a KOTOR 3.
Exactly, I fully support this. SWTOR could have been a positively AMAZING single player experience and it's story is actually pretty good, it's just so bogged down by the awful MMO gameplay conventions that it ends up being passable at best. If they were to make it single player and alter the gameplay especially the combat system to something much faster and more dynamic, preferably a full Action RPG it would be pretty freaking awesome.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
I think the notion of different developers for different games in the Star Wars universe is their best bet. I would think Disney would be more leery about putting all their eggs in one basket again. An Old Republic Jedi lightsaber spectacle brawler by Platinum Games? Why not? A tactical RPG by Firaxis? CD Projekt Red on an open world RPG? Naughty Dog on an adventure game? Put the right games in the right hands and Star Wars games will both spin money while keeping the license squeaky clean.

Amnesia Games on a game where you have to evade Stormtroopers, Sith and eventually Darth Vader as you try to smuggle out the Death Star plans....

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
With the question being specifically about publisher and not developer, why not just publish the games themselves? Its not like Disney doesn't have the capital to hire a few folks to open up a 'Disney Games' publisher. Then they could hire whatever dev they wanted to make whatever game they would like. Or they could buy up a dev to make "in-house" releases, and demand that the games include lootboxes and all kinds of "games as a service" moneymaking schemes. Then when the game is done they could fire everyone and close down the dev...

"(sniff) they grow up so fast don't they."

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Catfood220 said:
Naughty Dog.
we already have Stars Wars movies being made though...
I know you were being sarcastic there, but you kind of made my point. I think most people would like to play a Star Wars game with a feel similar to the Star Wars films and making games with a cinematic feel is kinda Naughty Dogs wheelhouse.

Plus they would probably make a fun multilayer mode where you got to play as a fat Darth Vader.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Catfood220 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Catfood220 said:
Naughty Dog.
I know you were being sarcastic there, but you kind of made my point. I think most people would like to play a Star Wars game with a feel similar to the Star Wars films and making games with a cinematic feel is kinda Naughty Dogs wheelhouse.

Plus they would probably make a fun multilayer mode where you got to play as a fat Darth Vader.
2 of the greatest star wars games ever made had literally nothing to do with the films.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
erttheking said:
Might I suggest they do what Games Workshop is doing with Warhammer and license the franchise out to multiple developers are carrying levels of size? Extra Credits recently did a video on how it's kinda working for them.

Though maybe not to the same degree and with a little restraint?
I can get behind this. Perhaps Disney shouldn't put all its eggs in one basket. Perhaps they should license the Star Wars IP to many developers, both small and large, both big names and promising newbies.

Will that result in nothing but quality games? Probably not, but if the Games Workshop case is any indication, that's kind of ok. I mean, Star Wars has had decades worth of shitty tie-in products and it hasn't gotten any less popular. I'm sure it can endure a few more stinkers and those will be quickly forgotten.

If we get a few good to great games out of it, perhaps that's worth it.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Catfood220 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Catfood220 said:
Naughty Dog.

2 of the greatest star wars games ever made had literally nothing to do with the films.
Not sure what your point is. I never said the games should follow the plot of the films or have any of the characters from the films.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
This is gonna sound weird but Capcom. They've worked with Disney in the past. Granted it was for games based off of kids shows but they were better than they had any right to be. Capcom has built trust with Disney and even something like that Wayforward Mummy game but with Stormtroopers would be great.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
None of them. The Star Wars IP should be like Warhammer. Let Disney hand it out piecemeal to developers so they can try new stuff, at their own pace. If you give it to a single studio/company you won't get the breath of choice old Lucasarts had. Do you think Ubisoft would ever make Shadows of the Empire? Do you think EA would ever make Empire at War? Do you think CD Project Red would ever make TIE Fighter?

Games Workshop's strategy may have given us really bad games. But it also gave us Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl, Deathwing, Vermintide, Mordheim (I don't particularly like the game, but it works, and plenty of people like it), Total Warhammer 1/2.

Do that with Star Wars. Then you'll get games worth half a damn.