Who wants to see the Dwarves of the Hobbit?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Toriver said:
Casual Shinji said:
Somehow these characters don't look like they belong in the LotR universe.

I never read The Hobbit, maybe the story was a lot more tongue in cheek than Lord of the Rings. But seeing as it follows that very popular trilogy, you'd think they'd make it look more in tandem with the earlier movies.

And what's with the long haired guy in the third picture? Is he supposed to appeal to female audience members, or what? I always thought dwarves were a bit chunky and hairy regardless, even the women.
Well, the only dwarf to have ever appeared in person in the trilogy was Gimli, so we really don't have much to go off of regarding the actual look of a dwarf. We got a look at a whole shitload of dwarven architecture (and skeletons), but not much at dwarves themselves.

Personally, even going off of just the way Gimli looked, I think they would look quite at home in the LotR universe. Except for maybe Kili, who looks kinda like a prettyboy. But I would say, good job, overall.
Well, there were also the dwarves in the prologue of the first film, and the ones accompanying Gimli at the council in Rivendell.

I do understand that each dwarf in The Hobbit needs to be easily distinguishable from eachother, instead of having a bunch of similarly looking hairy fat guys where it's hard to make out who's who. But in the trilogy everything was primarily designed in the realm of practicality. That's what made all the sets and costumes look so believable. It wasn't so overly fantastical that you couldn't feel the culture and history behind the designs.

With these dwarves it feels just a bit too much.

And like I said, I never read The Hobbit, but I have sneaking suspicion that they tried to make one or two of the dwarves look a bit Aragorn-ish just to draw in some female attention.

It's nothing deal breaking or anything, it's just gonna be some getting used to.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Although I know it's the real thing, they all look a little fakey-photoshop. But, the same was said about the first pictures from X-Men: First Class, so I'm sure they'll still be amazing. Plus, I have complete faith in this movie.

I quite like the fact that they have different weapons though, as opposed to the usual axe/hammer - kind of breaks the dwarf stereotype.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
They don't look...dwarvish. I know that sounds kinda silly, but its something about the hair for some of them.

ZenMonkey47

Jan 10, 2008
The "they don't look like something that doesn't exist!" amuses me greatly :D

Personally, I dig their designs. If they were all mini Santa Clauses with axes they'd be quite forgettable.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Somehow these characters don't look like they belong in the LotR universe.

I never read The Hobbit, maybe the story was a lot more tongue in cheek than Lord of the Rings. But seeing as it follows that very popular trilogy, you'd think they'd make it look more in tandem with the earlier movies.
These are a lot more cartoonish looking than I would imagine they would be if they were in the the LOTR trilogy, but The Hobbit is actually a much more light-hearted book, it's not as dark or deep as LOTR, and the story is more linear, so the movie will probably have a lighter feeling to it, and they'll probably suit it better. I'm not really worried.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Some of them look okay. Gloin, Oin, Balin, and Dwalin for example. But some of them just look like elf/human hybrids. Particularly Thorin. He looks like he should be in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
They all actually look pretty good. Their costumes all look unique, the weapons look pretty badass, except I will agree, some do look either fake/shopped. Like someone said above, they look like miniatures

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I was hoping they'd be a bit more short and fat, and I'm disappointed that they didn't go more with the character design of Gloin from Battle for Middle Earth 2.

And something about Kili looking generically handsome just seems off to me.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Looks good to me. At least they have plenty of dwarves this time around so they don't have to make the only one in the movie a fucking clown shoe.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Sober Thal said:
I wanted short and stocky, this isn't what I expected...

Also: they are gunna look silly singing this song. Not that they will : (

In my mind, that's what Thorin will always look like. A nose the size of a coconut, elderly, and the most stubborn old fool since his father's reign.

I don't mind the new designs, though. With Alan Lee and John Howe on the art team, the production design will stay as true as it ever could. Besides... I trust PJ. He knows what he's doing. After all - he's already done this once before!

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Mr Thin said:
[small](Bugger off, spellchecker, dwarvish is too a real word).[/small]
I think you'll find the word is 'dwarven'! =P

OT: Aesthetically, they look great... but most of them, not as dwarves. Why do I get the distinct feeling that most of them actually look more like hobbits than dwarves...?

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Vuljatar said:
My only criticisms are that Thorin looks much too young, and Fili and Kili don't look dwarf-ish enough.

The Thorin thing is the big one. I don't know if I'm mistaken--it's been a while since I've read the book--but isn't he supposed to have gray hair? I always thought of him as looking a lot more like Oin looks.
He should look like he is in his late 40's or early 50's. This is also my only complaint. Although Fili and Kili are on the edge for me. I pictured Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb when I read the book... ohhh well.

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
It looks like Jackson is using his special filming techniques like he did with Gimli. Some appear to be normal sized people but the pictures were taken cleverly and there may be some editing. Overall they look good and thanks for posting the pics.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
It's good to see dwarves done as something other than copypaste short stocky men with beards and axes. Instead they look like a proper race with all the variation it entails while still sharing a strong identity.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
I understand what they're trying to do, giving each of the characters an individual look so they stand out, but...Graaagh?! Why-oh-why can't they at least make them look like Dwarves. Dwarves are supposed to be short, stocky, bearded people. In-fact, they set a lot of pride in their beards, if I remember ( And rightly so! )...

I have no doubt the film will be stunning, but it's going to irk me that they just don't look "Dwarven", for the most part.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Kimarous said:
Anyone else entranced by Bombur's EPIC mutton chops?
Aye, that's some facial hair most of us could only hope to dream of achieving even if we lived for a million years. I like the fact there's some variety between all the characters. If anything, these pics just look a little too glossy in my opinion. A little bit of grime and muck on their pristine garments wouldn't go amiss. There'll be plenty of time for that in the movies tough, I'm sure.

It's been a very long time since I last read The Hobbit, so I can't really recall how the dwarves were described therein anyway.