Who was your favourite new character of 2012?

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Really hard to say. Lee, Clementine, half the rest of the cast of The Walking Dead, Vaas, Walker, and that's only the ones who jumped into my head in the time it took to type this. 2012 was just a damn good year in gaming.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Clem is great, but I think I prefer Lee.
Maybe it's the playable aspect, maybe it's because he does a lot of stuff a kid can't do, I just think he's fucking awesome. Clem's a close second though.
For me it was the voice acting that clinched it. Lee's voice just sounded so physically and emotionally exhausted, I just couldn't help but feel for the guy.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
*Looks at their 2012 games*

Hanako Ikezawa and Lilly Satou from Katawa Shoujo.
Haytham Kenway from Assassin's Creed 3. AKA the only decent character in the game.

I did like Lee and Clementine from The Walking Dead, but I can't say that they stood out for me as much as they did for other people.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
In no way is this a best of list, just a list of my favorites.
Vaas from FarCry 3
Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2
Lemongrab from Adventure Time (Was that in 2012?)
The Seneschal from Dragons Dogma.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Javik. The guy has a snarky remark prepped and on reserve for any situation and is a complete bad ass who, at times shows a small glimmer of that heart that he has hid down deep and locked away under that stern exterior and all that military training. And boy can this guy ever talk his way out of a corner if he needs to.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Clem from Walking Dead: A great example on how to do child characters, as Jim Sterling delineated in one of his JQ's.

Vaas from Far Cry 3: Just such an entertaining, crazy, unpredictable bad guy. Kudos to the guys who wrote him in Ubi's studios.

Javik from ME3: A Jamaican-sounding life form AND a badass soldier? Geeze, don't give me the pleasure all at once, Bioware...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
definitely clementine, but really, everyone from the Walking Dead who survived more then a few minutes was really well written

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Alright, seriously, no one said this? No-fucking-one?

CAPTAIN MARTIN WALKER, from Spec Ops: The Line

Now I can't say I like this man as a person: he's done some bad things, and did his damnedest to justify them. I can say I like his character arc though: Starting out as a professional and generally average soldier, who descends into the madness of the situation his mission put him in. If anything he's a victim of circumstance, and they were horrible circumstances at that.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Zhukov said:

What if I told you Nanako [http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Nanako_Dojima] from Persona 4 was a more compelling little girl character than Clem?

OT: While I really liked Clem I'm going to have to agree with Haza on this one. Lee just can't be topped. Too cool for school.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
If we're talking game characters...

Vaas from Far Cry 3 has easily become one of my favourite video game villains. I mean, my God, that performance had such energy. I've never seen a voice actor so, excuse the pun, "animated" in a video game before. He was fun, he was darkly comedic, he was terrifying, and he stole the show in every scene he was in.

On the heroic side of things? Lee and Clementine make a great duo.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
Alright, seriously, no one said this? No-fucking-one?

CAPTAIN MARTIN WALKER, from Spec Ops: The Line

Now I can't say I like this man as a person: he's done some bad things, and did his damnedest to justify them. I can say I like his character arc though: Starting out as a professional and generally average soldier, who descends into the madness of the situation his mission put him in. If anything he's a victim of circumstance, and they were horrible circumstances at that.
Oh, God, him too! That man had probably one of the most engaging character arcs I've ever experienced in a video game (alongside Wander from Shadow of the Colossus).

thibaut95

Feb 8, 2011
- Javik (Mass Effect 3)
- Haytam Kenway (Assassin's creed 3)
- Vaas ( Far Cry 3)
- Buttstalion ( Borderlands 2) => don't know if you remember this guy, but i liked him

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
1. Grigori from Dragon's Dogma

As silent protagonists with interesting situations to deal with, I liked Corvo from Dishonored and the party setup in Legend of Grimrock.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
The Imp from Impire is great, the way he just doesn't seem to care. Especialy since he is voiced by John Pinette.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Scoundrel from Diablo 3.

... what? He got a cool character arc, is funny and noble (although he'll deny it) and got an amazing voice-acting. I love him.

Honorable mentions for James Vega, Lee Everett and Martin Walker.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
Haytham Kenway. Seriously, after playing as Connor for a few hours, I just wanted to return to Kenway. He is just so badass and flippant. I hope the next Assassin's Creed is a prequel of him in London or Paris.

Nyreen Kandros from Mass Effect 3: Omega. The most underutilized character in all of Mass Effect. Javik was pretty awesome too.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
As Lee and Clem have already been mentioned, I'll have to say Molly from Walking Dead (The blonde girl from... Episode three, I think?).
Maybe it's the awesome parkour, maybe it's the fact she's a very deep character (Cold and cynical on the outside but you eventually learn that's because she did... Things to protect her diabetic sister)
Either way, she gets my vote.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Now that I think about it... I loved the hell out of Javik in Mass Effect 3. I like his design, his voice actor's excellent, I found his character arc compelling... and I honestly wish we could play - say - a prequel where we play as him. He has a cool power set, he's basically Renegade Shepard with more of a personality...

Who's with me? Who'd want a Mass Effect game where we play as Javik, in the far distant past?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Samantha Traynor.

She's pretty much the only reason I finished Mass Effect 3. As If I needed another reason not to play as Male Shepard.
She even overtook Tali as my favorite character in the series.
She's pretty much the only love interest who acts differently after you have sex. She flirts with you! and wants to get it on again. Contrast that with Liara who... uh, doesn't even acknowledge your existence. and Garrus who wants to get married and have a biologically improbable child. or Kaiden who friend zones' himself in record time.

Who would have thought that lovey dovey affectionate crap would actually be a desirable trait in a love interest.

Second place for me is Handsome Jack because he was just so well acted.
He's beautifully self absorbed into thinking he's doing good and blinded by pretty much everything. you can really tell he's off in his own world and it's scary at times. one of the most effectively threatening and hateable villains I've ever seen

Other character's I liked that made their debut in 2012
Juliet Starling and Nick Carlyle from Lollipop Chainsaw
Janius from Record of Agarest War 2
and Kenny from the Walking Dead