Who Will Be Cast as The Young Han Solo For the Upcoming Film?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Man, I do not envy anyone on this. I would hate to be in charge of casting. I would hate to be cast as such an iconic character.

The problem is that Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. It's the character that basically made him a household name, along with Indiana Jones. The two are basically inseparable. People think Harrison Ford, they likely think Han Solo. People think Han Solo, they definitely think Harrison Ford.

To give you guys an idea of how big of a hurtle this one job is, my mom named me after her favorite actor at the time I was born. I was almost Harrison.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
SecondPrize said:
I may be old and out of touch, but I know none of these people, though maybe Franco is related to James. Anyways, the obvious choice is to hire a carpenter building sets.

Callate said:
in another Star Wars spinoff currently being shot, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
It's good to know the person responsible for the title "Attack of the Clones" can still find work...

I enjoyed the new movie, but these "side-projects" are beginning to sound an awful lot like the basest form of nostalgia-mining. I guess we'll see.
They have both gone in a different direction than what Lucas advised for the story following Endor and eliminated the Expanded Universe as a good source for plots, so they've kind of backed themselves into a corner as far as options for films entirely separate from this new main trilogy. I was kind of hoping the guy who wanted to do Seven Samurai as Star Wars would get the green light for that. I think we're in store for a bunch of spectacle driven side projects putting the players of 7-9 into place though, rather than coherent stories of their own.
The planned movies so far are Rogue One, Unnamed Han Solo Movie, and possibly Boba Fett or 7 Jedi (the 7 samurai episode has already been done in the Clone Wars series, and to me felt like too much like "lets make a homage"-filler. Also followed by a godzilla filler episode). Anyway, none of them seem connected to the new trilogy, and should be placed inbetween Ep III and IV. This is probably to not interfere with the development of the new trilogy, and let it instead evolve on it's own.

Also, with the mercy kill of the EU, they are free to create original stories that fit within a cohesive narrative and that also works in the film format. Instead of trying to adapt existing content from different formats such as comics and books, which would prove difficult without creating more plot-holes or adhering to different grades of canon.
LucasFilm is however still free to use plot points or story concepts from the EU as inspiration to make a compelling story that fits with their current plans. For instance the cancelled 1313 game's concept of actually being a Boba Fett origin story, has been brought up as inspiration for the rumoured third stand alone movie.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Here's a clip of Scott Eastwood acting.

<youtube=KFX8Kv79UnA>

Here's a trailer for a movie with Scott Eastwood in an action movie (the last bit has him conveniently looking like Solo)
<youtube=xL9F-Irm5tQ>

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
If only we had another roguish space-smuggler with devilish good-looks, snappy dialogue, and a pretty face.

Oh wait.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
EHKOS said:
If only we had another roguish space-smuggler with devilish good-looks, snappy dialogue, and a pretty face.

Oh wait.

Again, too old. plus the typecasting would be strong with this one. Look, I know you guys would love, LOVE to see Firefly return, even if it's a mutated form hijacking another scifi franchise, but this is a bit ridiculous.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Remus said:
EHKOS said:

Oh wait.

Again, too old. plus the typecasting would be strong with this one. Look, I know you guys would love, LOVE to see Firefly return, even if it's a mutated form hijacking another scifi franchise, but this is a bit ridiculous.
No, just let us have this! A little make-up, a little CGI, it's all good...[small]please[/small].

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
EHKOS said:
Remus said:
EHKOS said:

Oh wait.

No, just let us have this! A little make-up, a little CGI, it's all good...[small]please[/small].
Going to go with EHKOS here... just let us have this one...

Also, due to the time dilation (the closer you get to light speed relative to a static observer the less time you experience in relation to the time experienced by the observer) that would have been involved in the Kessel run, Han Solo would have traveled for something like 40 years of universe time while only experiencing less than a day of his own personal time. So he doesn't actually have to be young to have a scene 40 years prior where he's roughly the same age depending on how old he was when he made that run (and whether or not he made the run a second time to return home or if it was a one-way trip or multiple times since he was an experienced pilot). Heck, if his back story includes a few more kessel runs then he could potentially have a back story spanning centuries. After you make the first run there's no reason not to make more since everyone you ever cared about would have been 40 years older at best and you'd be on the other side, unable to see them. If you go back then they would have aged 80 years and you'd only have aged a couple months depending on how much time you spent not going the speed of light and visiting the other destination.

Science is fun!

http://www.wired.com/2013/02/kessel-run-12-parsecs/

I guess if I was in their universe I would make some investments and then gather up all friends and family and make these kinds of runs repeatedly until the investments had accumulated. A one week trip could have me returning to investments that had gained interest over a century or more.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
Ansel Elgort? Miles Teller? Those guys look waaaaaaaay too innocent to be Han Solo. Last I heard, they were looking at Chris Pratt, and that was pretty much perfect, IMO.
I like Pratt, but if they are looking for guys between 20-25 Pratt is way too old (he's 36).

Now granted, Hollywood can use make-up to pretty convincingly change people's ages, but that might be pushing it a little.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ihateregistering1 said:
Laggyteabag said:
Ansel Elgort? Miles Teller? Those guys look waaaaaaaay too innocent to be Han Solo. Last I heard, they were looking at Chris Pratt, and that was pretty much perfect, IMO.
I like Pratt, but if they are looking for guys between 20-25 Pratt is way too old (he's 36).

Now granted, Hollywood can use make-up to pretty convincingly change people's ages, but that might be pushing it a little.
Unless they establish that he was VERY young when he did the kessel run then it doesn't make sense to make him that young since the kessel run would have been a 40 year venture in which he aged less than a day (to sum my post immediately above yours). I am interested to see if they are savvy enough to understand time dilation to include it in the story timeline because there needs to be at least a 40 year gap where he's out of action somewhere. 80 years if he then returned home. More if he ever made more trips.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Lightknight said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Laggyteabag said:

Unless they establish that he was VERY young when he did the kessel run then it doesn't make sense to make him that young since the kessel run would have been a 40 year venture in which he aged less than a day (to sum my post immediately above yours). I am interested to see if they are savvy enough to understand time dilation to include it in the story timeline because there needs to be at least a 40 year gap where he's out of action somewhere. 80 years if he then returned home. More if he ever made more trips.
I think you're giving Star Wars way too much credit for having actual science involved. This is a series about Magical Space Wizards wielding swords of light doing battle in a galaxy with quadrillions of intelligent life forms occupying 1000s of planets composed of 1000s of different species...who all speak English.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ihateregistering1 said:
Lightknight said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Laggyteabag said:

I think you're giving Star Wars way too much credit for having actual science involved. This is a series about Magical Space Wizards wielding swords of light doing battle in a galaxy with quadrillions of intelligent life forms occupying 1000s of planets composed of 1000s of different species...who all speak English.
Nah, just like Star Trek they have a whole underlying construct of canon lore and such. So they do try to keep some science in their fye.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
This will be tough. As I was watching TFA, my only thought when Harrison Ford was on screen was that he basically is Han Solo. There won't be anyone who can take his place, because when you think of Han, you think of Ford. He seemed so comfortable playing Han, that it was like he didn't even need to act, he just was.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This movie doesnt need to be made, who cares about young Han Solo - we like adult Solo. Thing is we all like Darth Vader and what happened when they showed us the young version? Whiny, emo idiot we didnt like. Why ruin another character just for a cash in movie? It could be good with the right script, actors and director but surely there are better stories to tell int he star wars universe.