Who would you cast as Ursula for Disney's live action Little Mermaid?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Ur mum

[sub]Someone had to say it[/sub]

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Burnouts3s3 said:
So it's become increasingly apparent that Disney will continue to make live action remakes of their animated films for better or worse (I was not a fan of the new Aladdin).

This is when I got to thinking who would play Ursula in live action. Obviously, Ursula the Sea Witch has had many iterations in the past with performers, some heavyset and some skinnier. A couple of names have popped up, such as Rebel Wilson. Rumor has it that Lady Gaga could take the role. Others have suggested Ginger Minj, a crossdresser since Ursula's design was based off the late crossdresser, Divine.

I also wonder how they would handle Vanessa, Ursula's counterpart when she's on land. Would they cast the same performer or use another performer. If so, would they look similar or different than Ursula's default form.

Just as long as they don't use a bad CGI effect, I'm fine with it.
I think that someone like Ginger Minj would be more suitable for the role considering it was based on a drag performer to begin with. They would likely be better off having a separate actress play Vanessa otherwise they have to spend a fortune on costuming or cgi and then still likely not pull it off as well as it would have been just going with a separate actress.

Sep 24, 2008
Meryl Streep.

It's not because I am immensely turned on by the woman, but it's because she might be one of the literal theatrical geniuses of our time. Or just plain genius.

Meryl Streep learned polish for a role. She learned how to play the violin. Meryl Streep learned play the guitar. She can perfectly emulate exactly how Thatcher speaks, down to all of her mannerisms. I'm sure if you give her the role, she'll learn how to breathe underwater.

She has the range to play someone sympathetic and completely terrifying, like Ursula needs to be.

... I seriously crush on this woman hard. Hard.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
Even when she's pretending to be Thatcher? That's just perverse.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
Meryl Streep.

It's not because I am immensely turned on by the woman, but it's because she might be one of the literal theatrical geniuses of our time. Or just plain genius.

Meryl Streep learned polish for a role. She learned how to play the violin. Meryl Streep learned play the guitar. She can perfectly emulate exactly how Thatcher speaks, down to all of her mannerisms. I'm sure if you give her the role, she'll learn how to breathe underwater.

She has the range to play someone sympathetic and completely terrifying, like Ursula needs to be.
I can dig that. In fact, we've got a reasonable baseline for an Ursula role in her role as the Witch in Into the Woods.

She definitely has the singing/acting chops. And, frankly, I'd be very interested to hear her sing Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Baffle2 said:
ObsidianJones said:
Even when she's pretending to be Thatcher? That's just perverse.
I totally would not have noticed ObsidianJones' weird Thatcher thing if you hadn't pointed that out, thanks a lot.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Fieldy409 said:
If we could round up the lady who played Elvira in those late 80's movies and stuck her in a fat suit it would be great.
Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) would be an incredibly appropriate choice.

In theory, I like the idea of casting a male-bodied drag queen as a reference to how Ursula is clearly based on the persona of Divine, but at the same time we have to remember why that happened. Ursula is the villain, she's queer-coded because she's evil. Cassandra Peterson is a drag queen who most people don't realise is a drag queen (because we have this concept that cis women can't be drag queens), so she works both as a nod to the queer history of the character, but also someone whose presence isn't going to be interpreted as mockery.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Asita said:
ObsidianJones said:
Meryl Streep.

I can dig that. In fact, we've got a reasonable baseline for an Ursula role in her role as the Witch in Into the Woods.

She definitely has the singing/acting chops. And, frankly, I'd be very interested to hear her sing Poor Unfortunate Souls.
And 101 Dalmatians (remember Disney's first attempt at live-action movies?) also showed she can do the camp necessary to fill the role of a Disney villain. She kind of would be a perfect fit for the role.

That said, my instinct remains a drag queen as a homage to the original, preferably one of the heavier-set ones to give her that real "octopus" shape to the costuming without coming off as "fat suit" or CGI. Hell, Drag Race could practically be used to extend audition roles...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Tireseas said:
And 101 Dalmatians (remember Disney's first attempt at live-action movies?) also showed she can do the camp necessary to fill the role of a Disney villain. She kind of would be a perfect fit for the role.
Have to correct you on that point. It was Glenn Close that played Cruella de Vil, not Meryl Streep.

Apr 17, 2009
Tireseas said:
That said, my instinct remains a drag queen as a homage to the original, preferably one of the heavier-set ones to give her that real "octopus" shape to the costuming without coming off as "fat suit" or CGI. Hell, Drag Race could practically be used to extend audition roles...
There's that, but I'd also judge them over picking a skinnier actress just for not being able to resist wanting to "pretty up" a role

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Asita said:
Tireseas said:
Have to correct you on that point. It was Glenn Close that played Cruella de Vil, not Meryl Streep.
You are correct. I mix them up all the time... :p

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
maybe Kathy Burke, don't know, am no good at casting, not sure why speak when no good, just heard Thatcher fetish and had a sudden dose of flight-or-fight adrenaline

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
It's a pity Divine can't take up the role. That's who Ursula's appearance was based on, so everything could have come full circle!

Sadly, I'm not really much of a person to pay attention to actors, so I'm not well suited to choosing a cast for anything.. instead I'll venture a guess for who Disney will go with... based on their recent trends, I'll guess Whoopi Goldberg.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If they changed Ursula into a Japanese trans man, they could cast Scarlett Johannson.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't know who should play Ursula but I know how the movie should end.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Daniel Day Lewis. Oh... you think he can't do it? I think the world is ready for a method Ursula.