Whodunit, In Your Browser

Keshie

May 16, 2008
The BRAINCHILD of Maximillian Hill???
I've seen psychology lessons from the 1960's playing the same game. Match the 'perp' to the 'crime'.

You are shown a series of mugshots of people who'se only common attribute is that they're all at a bad point in their lives. You have no more information than that. Might as well just close your eyes and click randomly at the screen.
Define Perp and Crime, and then remember that you're not actually omniscient.
What if "Charged With Robbery" stole medicine for a sick kid? What if "Driving Under The Influence" had been discharged from hospital after being accidentally overdosed with painkillers? What exactly is wrong with being "Charged with Contempt Of Court"? Not all courts are exactly centres of truth and justice, you know.

This 'game' is as old as the rules of law themselves.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Andy_Panthro said:
"Who was charged with Open Container?"

Open Container? What the hell sorta crime is that? Can anyone shed any light on that for me?
In the States it usually refers to someone who had an open container of alcohol in their vehicle while driving. Illegal in most states, though it varies. I think in North Carolina, you can have one, as long as it's not within reach of the driver.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Gah, I went into this thinking about the least likely looking person and I failed miserably. It was always the one that I would stereotype as the one who was a dealer with cannabis!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Keshie said:
The BRAINCHILD of Maximillian Hill???
I've seen psychology lessons from the 1960's playing the same game. Match the 'perp' to the 'crime'.

You are shown a series of mugshots of people who'se only common attribute is that they're all at a bad point in their lives. You have no more information than that. Might as well just close your eyes and click randomly at the screen.
Define Perp and Crime, and then remember that you're not actually omniscient.
What if "Charged With Robbery" stole medicine for a sick kid? What if "Driving Under The Influence" had been discharged from hospital after being accidentally overdosed with painkillers? What exactly is wrong with being "Charged with Contempt Of Court"? Not all courts are exactly centres of truth and justice, you know.

This 'game' is as old as the rules of law themselves.
Pick the Perp is the brainchild of Hill, the experiment itself isn't. I think that what is remarkable about PtP, as I will henceforth refer to it, is that in a few short minutes it forces you to examine your preconceptions about people.

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
Hehe, I figured out how to cheat. If you mouse over their portrait, you get their full names. Just Google them, and you can get the right person every time.

You've correctly matched 121 perps in 121 lineups.

WOO!

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Wow, such a game in my country would be extremely illegal because of privacy laws. It would really suck to be one of the criminals whose portrait is featured there, especially considering there are also plenty of people who commited minor offences.

May 17, 2007
Did the designer hand-pick the crimes, or are they just a big bunch of crimes taken as a slab? If he picked them, it might say something about his own prejudices. Was he deliberately looking for crimes with unlikely-looking perpetrators, for example?

Also, remember that all the mug shots are pictures of criminals. Maybe the big scary tattooed biker wasn't charged with that assault because he was actually charged with a murder. Just because they're not suspected of this crime doesn't mean they're an angel.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
6 streak, currently on 14 out of 31.

It is pretty hard, I tried picking the least obvious, but now Im just trying to go with my gut.
What an odd game though.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Jumplion said:
Gah, I went into this thinking about the least likely looking person and I failed miserably. It was always the one that I would stereotype as the one who was a dealer with cannabis!
I had a very hard time "stereotyping" someone who was charged for - "exposure of sexual organs."

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
whaleswiththumbs said:
MasterStratus said:
You're right, this game is really hard. My streak is 1. Wooo!
SAme, i keep over thinking, and picking the one who looks least likely, it doesn't work
I got a streak of one too! Hazzah!
But it doesn't even give you a clue to whodunnit.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Not sure about my snap judgement, but this game has taught me that my short-term memory is pretty darn amazing. Hooray!