Who's Got Next?

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Ccesarano, I think you and I would be of like mind on the topic. Even where I have not always succeeded, my goal in everything I have written has been to challenge people. Sometimes those people were in the industry, sometimes it was the reader and on occasion it was even my peers. I could not have done this for 10 years if I didn't have that kind of freedom and opportunity.

The best I can say is stick with it. You seem like the kind of guy I want to see writing on the industry. Stick your foot in every door you can, and if they manage to close the door get a battering ram.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Wait wait, this poses the question, did Sean phone in to the guys at The Escapist too?
That's... NINJA!
I should've so done that...

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Though I should not be distraught but the reiteration of how hard the video game journalism business, I feel I am.

However I appreciate the honesty and depth of your advice and that you've somewhat planted a seed that we may cull and nurture.

May the winds take you soaring new heights Mr. Sands.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Sean Sands said:
Ccesarano, I think you and I would be of like mind on the topic. Even where I have not always succeeded, my goal in everything I have written has been to challenge people. Sometimes those people were in the industry, sometimes it was the reader and on occasion it was even my peers. I could not have done this for 10 years if I didn't have that kind of freedom and opportunity.

The best I can say is stick with it. You seem like the kind of guy I want to see writing on the industry. Stick your foot in every door you can, and if they manage to close the door get a battering ram.
Well, the first thing to do is always establish contacts, so don't be surprised if I send a message or e-mail at some point. Especially since I'm looking to start a Podcast soon (first step to an entire website focusing on critique and analysis) and need people that are of like mind, but not necessarily of like opinion. Which brings me to...

I think the best example to explain this would be the legendary critics: Siskel and Ebert.

They had the thumb system but the real magic came from their duet which is what made them famous and innovative.
This is certainly true, and there were plenty of times where they had disagreed.

This is all going to be roundabout in a way, but keep with me as I try to get to the related point.

My mom likes Jack Black, and considering the style of Brutal Legend I wanted to try and garner her interest in it. So I recorded the X-Play special on our DVR to show it to her. However, when I sat down to view it with her I started to feel embarrased. The humor and writing is for a very limited audience, and not even every gamer is going to be interested in it. More so, the presentation of the game confused my mother even more.

Since then I've wondered how you could make a show focusing on games while also appealing to a broader audience. I've always felt a website or show with a segment on the latest mainstream media buzz (Hot Coffee and Mass Effect) could do well, while also providing advice and insights into games for children and such.

Yet what really got my mind ticking one day was watching Top Gear on TV with my Dad. I don't know anything about cars and only look at them as a tool to go from here to there. My old man, on the other hand, loves them. Top Gear is presented in a way that anyone can enjoy because the Hosts are humorous people, they are all passionate about cars so there's plenty for your car-fanatic to love, but there's also a lot of contests and trials they go on that are off the wall and enjoyable to everyone. At the same time, each has their own preference so they are always disagreeing with each other.

I'd love to catch such a spirit if I were to do a video games show, where the hosts are what draws people in rather than the games themselves. Their commentary and expertise would appeal to gamers, sure, but the appeal to mainstream could be in the different things they do together that tie into gaming (after watching the preview of Game Damage's new pilot, that looks like it has a few great ideas, but who knows if they would appeal to a mainstream audience. Still, it's a positive direction).

But that's far, far down the line of ambitions. Still, it's something I'd love to see and even work on because it wouldn't be trying to market or convince non-gamers to join in, but more educating them on what is out there, who it is intended for and what kinds of materials they'd be able to enjoy.

Plus, gamers that disagree with each other just covers a variety of bases. No two people are alike, and having nothing but people that agree with you is boring.